The Barcelona model for Rangers

tonto

The Barca example is clear cut and it works, buy a lifetime share renewable every year, and you have a vote in the running of your club, in brief, if Rangers fans can form a company with 100,000 members worldwide at £1000 per annum would raise £100 million every year, more than enough to buy and run the club for the fans by the fans.

"Still, Barcelona realizes less revenue than Manchester United or most of Europe's other top clubs. But its expenses are structured differently. There is no marketing department because a social club that happens to field a world-class soccer team doesn't need one. Aguilar, the second-ranking financial officer in the club, gets no money for his services. As part of the club's bylaws, neither does Josep Luis Nuñez, the construction magnate who has for years served as club president, nor any of its other officers. All work is done on a volunteer basis, just as you'd do for a local political party or theater group, Barca being a little bit of both. Imagine, say, Jerry West or Carmen Policy running their teams for free."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the internal politics that goes on between the various supporters groups?

Imagine them taking that to the boardroom at Ibrox.

It would be an absolute shambles from day one.

The supporters do not take to the board room, they democratically elect a board of directors, as the Barca model clearly indicates.

Spain is a massive country compared to Scotland, we may have a massive fanbase, but that fanbase is one that won't buy into this. They already had a small predecessor in the Gersave scheme which is hardly the success it could have been. Why would they do it on a larger scale?

Me either. I think I contribute plenty as it is.

Under the Barca model you would in all probability pay less.

And how do I get my season ticket? Is that included in £1000 a year?

''Barcelona is my team," said Pol Fages, while walking the street of his beloved hometown. And he means it literally. Now 24, Fages has been a socio, or member, of Futbol Club Barcelona for 23 years, or since his father signed him up on his first birthday.

"It's quite common to do that in Barcelona," said Fages, who works for the Tourist Office of Spain's trade department in New York, but who had returned to Barcelona briefly on business."My brother became a socio on the day he was born," he said. More than season-ticket holders, Fages and the other 105,172 socios are actually the club's owners for as long as they continue to renew their membership.

Every five years, and occasionally more often, an election is held among the socios for club president, and the winning candidate installs a board of directors and determines club policy. It's an exercise in democracy far better than Spain itself managed during much of the 20th century.

Fages has other rights. For his annual membership fee of about $105, he acquires the option to buy a ticket to all Barcelona home matches for another $200. That's per year, not per game. This is possible only because the club is not run to make a profit, like nearly all the professional sports teams in the United States and around the world. "The idea of the club is to satisfy its socios at the lowest possible cost to them. Nothing more," said Xavier Aguila, who serves as the club's treasurer when he isn't working as the president of a bank.

''Barcelona is my team," said Pol Fages, while walking the street of his beloved hometown. And he means it literally. Now 24, Fages has been a socio, or member, of Futbol Club Barcelona for 23 years, or since his father signed him up on his first birthday.

"It's quite common to do that in Barcelona," said Fages, who works for the Tourist Office of Spain's trade department in New York, but who had returned to Barcelona briefly on business."My brother became a socio on the day he was born," he said. More than season-ticket holders, Fages and the other 105,172 socios are actually the club's owners for as long as they continue to renew their membership.

Every five years, and occasionally more often, an election is held among the socios for club president, and the winning candidate installs a board of directors and determines club policy. It's an exercise in democracy far better than Spain itself managed during much of the 20th century.

Fages has other rights. For his annual membership fee of about $105, he acquires the option to buy a ticket to all Barcelona home matches for another $200. That's per year, not per game. This is possible only because the club is not run to make a profit, like nearly all the professional sports teams in the United States and around the world. "The idea of the club is to satisfy its socios at the lowest possible cost to them. Nothing more," said Xavier Aguila, who serves as the club's treasurer when he isn't working as the president of a bank.

Am in, didnt know they used dollars in spain though (tu)

Let's face it, it's another angle for the RST to get on the board.

Whats wrong with that <cr>

Having a representative from the fanbase on the board could only be a good idea. Rangers choose a member from the RSA to join the board but not every can join them where as everyone can join the RST, so they speak for a greater spectrum of the fanbase.

I was recently told that I was jealous when I criticised the kind of thing that is happenening at Man City. I always answer to that kind of thing that the only club I'm envious of is Barcelona. If only...

Having a representative from the fanbase on the board could only be a good idea. Rangers choose a member from the RSA to join the board but not every can join them where as everyone can join the RST, so they speak for a greater spectrum of the fanbase.

So the RST speak for a greater spectrum than the RSA.

Listen to yourself.

And under the Barca model it wouldn't be Rangers who chose, there would be a vote.

Listen to yourself.

RSA is funded by the club

RST is funded by Rangers supporters and don't have to tow the party line so yes they do speak for a greater spectrum

Am in, didnt know they used dollars in spain though (tu)

Sorry should have given the link to an American source. http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/13159

This is a good idea IF we were to follow the Barcelona model. The article in today's Herald talks about fan representation on the board, however our say should be in voting for a club president in an interim basis such as every 5 years and then let them get on with the job. The whole £1000 thing also seems a bit steep. Maybe £100-£150 a year would be more realistic. No offence to the fellow fans but our different supporter associations don't always see eye to eye and would just cause unnecessary chaos and distraction at the board room level, taking the boards attention away from addressing issues such as the economic and playing aspects of the club. If they were accountable to us anyway would we really need representation on the board?

Listen to yourself.

RSA is funded by the club

RST is funded by Rangers supporters and don't have to tow the party line so yes they do speak for a greater spectrum

I know who is funded by whom, but that wouldn't be the issue here, I edited my posted above to include the fact there would be an election to the board, I'd guarantee if those signed up were members of the RSA they'd vote their man as to the RST. And that would be more of an indictment as to who has the largest spectrum.

Have you seen the internal politics that goes on between the various supporters groups?

Imagine them taking that to the boardroom at Ibrox.

It would be an absolute shambles from day one.

The supporters do not take to the board room, they democratically elect a board of directors, as the Barca model clearly indicates.

Again it goes back to the case of the politics involved within various sections of our support.

There would be far too many different opinions on our board for them to ever agree on anything.

It simply wouldn't work, and after the last share issue it seems that people aren't that bothered anyway.