A Gallant Pioneer ? new to me

rangershistory

What year is the cutting from mate?

1935 or 1936, which is a problem Im glad you asked that. If my calculations are right he was 5 in 1872.

My calculations say he was 15.

Very interesting find though.

Where did you dig it up from?

1935 or 1936, which is a problem Im glad you asked that. If my calculations are right he was 5 in 1872.

My calculations say he was 15.

Very interesting find though.

Where did you dig it up from?

I got it from another forum I use. It seems to me that the guys family were ship breakers I would suspect that his family would have known of the Campbell's. Im not sure what else can be done to prove this link he has with Rangers.

No, he'd have been in his mid-teens which suggests the article could be true... Certainly well worthy of further exploration.

Intriguing, just when we thought we'd got it sussed with the book, along comes another 'Gallant Pioneer'.

I wonder if there are others?

Manti you would have thought that Gary Ralston would have been able to trace him when he wrote his book.

Intriguing, just when we thought we'd got it sussed with the book, along comes another 'Gallant Pioneer'.

Manti you would have thought that Gary Ralston would have been able to trace him when he wrote his book.

That's the thing though - until this cutting he doesn't seem to appear in the records.

That's the thing though - until this cutting he doesn't seem to appear in the records.

Manti this cutting comes from the Mitchell Library, if i stayed nearer i would go in and check all the old papers to see what i could find.

Could this simply be a case of the article being wrong ?

It would amaze me that Ralston found no trace of him in his research.

You would have to consider it as a possibility.

Maybe it was a porkie he had told his family for years.....

Could this simply be a case of the article being wrong ?

It would amaze me that Ralston found no trace of him in his research.

You would have to consider it as a possibility.

Maybe it was a porkie he had told his family for years.....

:lol: You never know!!!

We need to be able to establish a link betwwen Galbraith and any of the other founders. I have sent off a few emails that will hopefuly provide a link with Peter Campbell. The guys family owned shipyard breakers near Dumbarton so it seems to me that his family would have known the Campbell's Also we need to check other newspaper obituary's see if they have the same information. My subscription to the scotsman has expired so i cant check it.

Lets hazard a guess he wasnt the best footballer so he might have played for the Swifts we need to check line ups for the Swifts. Who is up for the challenge? I can check the National library and I can use my contacts at the SFA museum but someone needs to check the Mitchell.

well hopefully in 100 years time someone will find an old quote that says

"whilst in major financial decline,Glasgow Rangers F.C. where rescued by millionaire graham duffy ,who had the imagination to manufacture a plan which involved the fans taking over the day to day running of the club ,3 years later they are champions of europe after last night defeating Manchester United with ease"

aye if only