The January Window

Well the January window opens in less than a fortnight and I have no doubts that there will be plenty of activity in the market.

But just who do you think will be the movers and shakers?

I'm going to stick to The Premiership just now and start with a few.

Scott Parker

Seems to be over the injury problems that have held him back for the past few years and is one of the few shining lights in the West Ham team at the moment. Strong in the tackle and a very useful user of the ball at the same time.

He maybe flopped at Chelsea, but he's a more experienced player now and with West Hams well documented financial problems, he could go a long to helping to vill the voids that are evident both Arsenal and Liverpools midfields at the moment at a very reasonable price.

Louis Saha

Another player who seems to have his injury problems under control for now and Everton are more than reaping the benefits with him hitting 12 goals so far this year. Is he a late contender for a palce in Frances world cup squad?

However a potential spanner in the works is that come January he will only have six months of his two year deal left and considering Everton's lowly position in the table maybe an Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool could pick up a bargain to help cover their injury problems, cover players on international duty and help deal with a general lack of depth.

James Beattie

After his misdemenour at the Emirates it seems that his Stoke career is over.

Beattie isn't without his critics, his weight fluctuates and he is accused of being a tad lazy.

His career appeared to be on the wind down when he joined Sheffield Utd from Everton, but at Stoke he has shown that he still knows where the back of the net is and his experience cannot be overlooked.

Perhaps a team with real aspirations of staying up (maybe Burnley or Portsmouth) or a team looking to consolodate (maybe Wigan or Birmingham) could turn to him to help their cause.

Paul Scharner

In recent seasons we have seen Palacios, Valencia and Cattermole use Wigan as a platform to a more higher profile club.Now while Scharner might be a lot older than these players, but he is equally capable of making the step up too.

A physically imposing player who actually moves about the field quite well for a so called "powerhouse" player.

He has shown his versatility over a number of years now and has shown that he is equally at home sitting in front of the back four and playing at the back. However this year Martinez has released him to go and support Scotland and Rodagella.

His knack of scoring important goals, his versatility and his combination of smash mouth style tackling would suit a club with a small squad, maybe Everton or Fulham, perfectly.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with alot of Man City's players. I read somewhere that Bellamy, Tevez, and some others were pissed at Hughes leaving, so perhaps we could see a fair amount of movement there.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with alot of Man City's players. I read somewhere that Bellamy, Tevez, and some others were pissed at Hughes leaving, so perhaps we could see a fair amount of movement there.

Don't think Man City will let either go, they've been their best 2 players!!!

Good point about Saha - I think he could be a really good signing for Wenger to give a much needed boost to his attack, especialy considering the price wouldn't be too high.

I thought Parker played really well on Sunday too - West Ham are probably gonna either sell him, Upson or Green.

Not an EPL to EPL transfer, but I've been lead to believe for a number of months now that Spurs have all but signed Brazilian midfielder Sandro.

Media got hold of the story earlier in the month.

Just completed his first season of football, and has already been capped by Brazil. I'm quite excited about this one :)

Surely Liverpool will be in the market. I reckon Petrov ( Man city ) could do a job for Liverpool. Luca toni would be another decent signing for them.

Well I think its a stick on that RAceltic will bring in a few, 2 defenders and a striker. I wouldn't even know where to start in speculating who will join them since they are linked with every player under the sun, especially ones who they have no chance of getting.

Arsenal need a striker but will probably go abroad for that. Dzeko, Graffite are possibilities.

I think we will see a bid for a Rangers player in January that will see us lose a first team regular.

Spurs do need more central midfield depth.

Do they?

They already have Huddlestone, Palacios, Jenas, Modric & Kranjcar for that position.

Plus O'Hara is due back in January.

O'Hara yes & I don't see the Croatians being played centrally tbh.

Thats why I said it.

BREAKING GOSSIP 1745 GMT: Birmingham defender Franck Queudrue insists he wants to remain at St Andrew's and fight to regain his place in Alex McLeish's team after injury. (Press Association)

TRANSFER GOSSIP Portsmouth goalkeeper David James admits he is "flattered" by the interest of Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp and would be keen on a move to White Hart Lane to boost his England World Cup chances.

Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Fernando Torres is ready to quit Liverpool if they fail to qualify for the Champions League this season.

Full story: News of the World

Bayern Munich striker Luca Toni, who has been linked with a move to West Ham, has set his sights on a return to Serie A with Roma this winter, although a deal has yet to be concluded.

Full story: Gazzetta dello Sport

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is considering splashing out on a new striker in the January transfer window, with Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh top of his wanted list.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Or Wenger could launch a £12m January bid for Toulouse's French international striker Andre Pierre Gignac.

Arsenal have also emerged as shock contenders to sign Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Manchester United are ready to challenge Roberto Mancini's City for £12m-rated Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Birmingham are ready to launch an £8m raid for Wigan's former Newcastle's winger Charles N'Zogbia.

Carlo Ancelotti will make a transfer window U-turn by offering a British record £45m for Bayern Munich's France winger Franck Ribery.

Full story: People

Manchester United striker Frederico Macheda, 18, is being linked with a loan move to Real Zaragoza.

Liverpool are poised to mount a major effort to sign former Lazio striker Goran Pandev on a free transfer next month in a bid to boost their flagging season.

Ambitious Stoke manager Tony Pulis could make a surprise three-pronged raid for Liverpool misfit Ryan Babel, Aston Villa's Emile Heskey and Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones.

Inter Milan defender Ivan Cordoba has told new Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini he would love to move to Eastlands.

Sunderland have launched an attempt to hijack right-back Danny Simpson’s move from Manchester United to Newcastle.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Tottenham's Scotland full-back Alan Hutton is a January target for Stoke and Fulham.

And Hutton's fellow out-of-favour Tottenham team-mate David Bentley is also attracting interest from Spanish side Atletico Madrid.

OTHER GOSSIP Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan has made inquiries about trying to buy Real Madrid for one billion euros (£900m), and a meeting with Real president Florentino Perez is possible early in 2010.

Full story: AS (In Spanish)

Jose Mourinho snubbed Manchester City's offer to become their coach because his dream is to step in when Sir Alex Ferguson finally retires at Manchester United.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Manchester City believe they can lure Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger in the summer as they see newly-appointed coach Roberto Mancini as just a stopgap. City have still not ruled out trying to persuade Jose Mourinho to take over either.

Full story: Sunday Express

Former Birmingham owners David Gold and David Sullivan will pull the plug on West Ham takeover talks on January 7.

AND FINALLY Newcastle may sit top of the Championship but the club is being forced to implement a clutch of cost-cutting measures at St James' Park - including switching off the escalator inside the new Milburn Stand during the week.

<a class="bodl" href="http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/652550/LOONY-TOONS-CRIPPLING-WAGE-BILL.html">Full story: News of the World