Burnside's Rangers?

BigAmo

I expected to see more on this this morning, though it's possible I missed it being 5 hours behind the UK.

What's everyone's view on Burnside's attempt to take over Rangers? SDM stated earlier he's coming up on 20 years and that's enough for anyone.??

Burnside's Gers move on hold

Ulster Unionist politician David Burnside will work on a potential Rangers takeover plan after his latest election battle.

TEAM PAGES Rangers

Burnside has held preliminary talks with associates in the City of London over forming a consortium to buy out Ibrox chairman David Murray.

But the Northern Ireland Assembly member claims his interest has been blown out of proportion and the group will only move if Murray puts the club up for sale.

When asked if he planned to approach the Rangers chairman, Burnside said: "David Murray stated what his position was.

"I'm very busy with the election on Wednesday. I want to get that out of the way.

"I am going to London next week and will spend a bit of time on it then."

The Rangers fan has cited the potential of the club's worldwide brand as a prime reason for his interest.

The news emerged days before the Stormont elections, but the former public relations director has dismissed allegations the story was a publicity stunt to seek favour with the large Rangers fanbase in the province.

Murray, who took over at Ibrox in 1988, hinted recently that he would step down when a worthy successor emerged.

He said in July last year: "I'm coming up for 20 years, and I think that will be enough for anybody.

"We've had a couple of people speak to us tentatively, but I would only sell the club if it was somebody who could take it to a higher level."

Rangers, who have reduced their debt from more than £70million to around £6million in recent years, refused to comment on the matter today.

Burnside began his career as press officer for the now-defunct Vanguard Unionist Progressive Party in the 1970s before moving to London.

The 55-year-old joined British Airways in 1984 but his successful career as the airline's PR chief ended amid the fallout to the so-called "dirty tricks" campaign against Virgin.

BA paid Richard Branson and his company a total of £610,000 in a settlement to a 1993 libel case that also cost the firm about £3million in legal fees.

Burnside formed his own PR firm before returning to Northern Ireland politics, winning the Westminster seat for the UUP in South Antrim in 2001.

He further rose to prominence as a critic of UUP leader David Trimble's approach to the Good Friday Agreement and resigned the party whip in 2003.

However, he decided against joining ally Jeffrey Donaldson in his defection to the Rev Ian Paisley's more hardline Democratic Unionists, before losing his Commons seat to the DUP in 2005.

He remains a member of the Stormont Assembly, which he was elected to in 2003, and defends his seat in South Antrim on Wednesday.

Ahhh ok I follow you. It's an election day ploy to get the rangers fans out in N.I.

I'm unfamiliar with politics there so forgive my interest in the story.

Here, gas prices just go down and then right back up again. It's a goddam dog and pony show I tells ya. 20 months away from our Presidential election and they've already started.