The Chairman on Desmond banter, exploiting the brand

Boab

It's an unwritten rule that no matter where you go in the world there will always be some bloke wandering around in a Celtic or Rangers strip.

Even the austere surroundings of Augusta National are not immune from it.

This exclusive golfer's paradise was disturbed by two Old Firm fans indulging in the same kind of banter that plays out in pubs and offices across Glasgow every day of the week.

Ok, so Augusta's bickering fans were wearing club ties instead of sovvy rings and the language was undoubtedly more refined than your average p***-taking punter.

But make no mistake, when it comes to the love of their teams Dermot Desmond and Alastair Johnston are as passionate as any fans in the street - and enjoy ribbing each other over their teams' shortcomings the same as any rank and file supporter.

This week it has been Ibrox chairman Johnston's turn to gloat, rubbing Hoops owner Desmond's nose in Rangers' enormous lead at the top of the SPL.

But it's fair to say Desmond has had his own fun in previous years when he lapped up holding the bragging rights during their annual meetings at the US Masters.

Johnston said: "A few years ago Dermot was leaving Augusta early because he was flying back to take in Celtic's title celebrations at Parkhead and he rather cheekily offered me a seat on his private jet to join him at the party. Much to my chagrin.

"It's pretty safe to say the boot is on the other foot now but he still invited me to the barbecue he is holding tonight so that I could rib him even more!

"However, I said I didn't want to be too premature, I'm going to stay quiet for a little while longer."

Apart from their polar opposite tastes in football teams both men have much in common. For a start they are as nuts about golf as they are about their teams.

Desmond is a single-figure handicapper who has played with his good friends Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara and regularly competes in the European Tour's biggest Pro-Am, the Dunhill Links.

Johnston was vice-chairman of the International Management Group when it took a young Woods onto their books.

And he was the architect of the young prodigy's astonishing $60million deal with Nike - before he had even won a Major.

An avid collector of golf books, Johnston is thought to have one of the world's biggest libraries on the sport and this week marks his 38th successive year at The Masters.

Their shared love of golf is matched by their business nous but Johnston regrets that - at the moment - the similarities stop right there as he is envious of Celtic's financial position.

That is despite the very real risk that if they fail to get through two Champions League qualifying rounds in the summer the Hoops face falling deeper into debt.

The way he sees it, at least the Parkhead club are in charge of their own destiny rather than answering to the controlling hand of Lloyds Bank.

He added: "Although we are here enjoying the golf and the sunshine our minds were certainly back across the pond when we spent some time together on Wednesday morning.

"There are so many important things going on with our clubs just now and football results was the main topic of the conversation.

"Celtic's situation and our situation are a little different. Dermot is more in control of his own destiny than we are. That's something I have consistently said since I assumed the chairman-ship, that I'd like to get into a position where Rangers can control their own destiny again.

"We've got some work to do in that regard so I think where finances are concerned comparing our situation to Celtic's is an apples and oranges one right now."

There's an obvious frustration in Johnston's voice when he assesses the turbulent financial situation at Ibrox and the restrictions of having to answer to bankers.

Yet when asked if his fire-fighting role at Rangers is the toughest job he has faced after all these years of successfully making IMG one of the biggest powerhouses in the world his surfer's-tan face breaks into a wry smile.

He added: "It's actually one of the easiest for me. Having been with IMG all these years and being involved with so many different facets of sports representation - consulting with companies, owning some media and owning events - they were full of conflicts of interest all the time.

"However, in my position at Rangers I don't have a conflict of interest. I don't work for the bank, I don't work for David Murray, I only work for Rangers.

"That is a huge relief only focusing on what's in the best interest of Rangers Football Club, so from that standpoint it's the easiest assignment I've had in 40 years."

His wide breadth of contacts in the States could play a crucial role in stretching Rangers' commercial appeal across the Atlantic in an effort to generate much-needed revenue.

A three-stop pre-season tour of America's east coast is in the pipeline and Johnston believes there is a huge untapped market of Americans with Scottish roots who could boost the club's income if marketed properly.

He said: "We are always looking at ways of adding incremental revenue. We are looking at anything from tours across here, playing matches in America and expanding the media coverage to reach out to more fans.

"We want to get the brand out there and get more people around the world aware of Rangers and able to identify with the club that is in some way revenue enhancing.

Ammunition "These are issues that you can deal with a whole lot easier when you are a winning club than when you are defending your position and don't have the podium to work off."

For the next three days though it's the golf that is upper most in Johnston and Desmond's minds - but when Celtic kick off their Scottish Cup semi final tie against Ross County tomorrow be sure there will be score updates regularly relayed to two punters just waiting for more ammunition to poke fun.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/04/09/football-banter-par-for-the-course-when-rangers-and-celtic-chiefs-meet-in-augusta-86908-22172801/

Nice to see him mentioning the brand.

It's an unwritten rule that no matter where you go in the world there will always be some bloke wandering around in a Celtic or Rangers strip.

Even the austere surroundings of Augusta National are not immune from it.

This exclusive golfer's paradise was disturbed by two Old Firm fans indulging in the same kind of banter that plays out in pubs and offices across Glasgow every day of the week.

Ok, so Augusta's bickering fans were wearing club ties instead of sovvy rings and the language was undoubtedly more refined than your average p***-taking punter.

But make no mistake, when it comes to the love of their teams Dermot Desmond and Alastair Johnston are as passionate as any fans in the street - and enjoy ribbing each other over their teams' shortcomings the same as any rank and file supporter.

This week it has been Ibrox chairman Johnston's turn to gloat, rubbing Hoops owner Desmond's nose in Rangers' enormous lead at the top of the SPL.

But it's fair to say Desmond has had his own fun in previous years when he lapped up holding the bragging rights during their annual meetings at the US Masters.

Johnston said: "A few years ago Dermot was leaving Augusta early because he was flying back to take in Celtic's title celebrations at Parkhead and he rather cheekily offered me a seat on his private jet to join him at the party. Much to my chagrin.

"It's pretty safe to say the boot is on the other foot now but he still invited me to the barbecue he is holding tonight so that I could rib him even more!

"However, I said I didn't want to be too premature, I'm going to stay quiet for a little while longer."

Apart from their polar opposite tastes in football teams both men have much in common. For a start they are as nuts about golf as they are about their teams.

Desmond is a single-figure handicapper who has played with his good friends Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara and regularly competes in the European Tour's biggest Pro-Am, the Dunhill Links.

Johnston was vice-chairman of the International Management Group when it took a young Woods onto their books.

And he was the architect of the young prodigy's astonishing $60million deal with Nike - before he had even won a Major.

An avid collector of golf books, Johnston is thought to have one of the world's biggest libraries on the sport and this week marks his 38th successive year at The Masters.

Their shared love of golf is matched by their business nous but Johnston regrets that - at the moment - the similarities stop right there as he is envious of Celtic's financial position.

That is despite the very real risk that if they fail to get through two Champions League qualifying rounds in the summer the Hoops face falling deeper into debt.

The way he sees it, at least the Parkhead club are in charge of their own destiny rather than answering to the controlling hand of Lloyds Bank.

He added: "Although we are here enjoying the golf and the sunshine our minds were certainly back across the pond when we spent some time together on Wednesday morning.

"There are so many important things going on with our clubs just now and football results was the main topic of the conversation.

"Celtic's situation and our situation are a little different. Dermot is more in control of his own destiny than we are. That's something I have consistently said since I assumed the chairman-ship, that I'd like to get into a position where Rangers can control their own destiny again.

"We've got some work to do in that regard so I think where finances are concerned comparing our situation to Celtic's is an apples and oranges one right now."

There's an obvious frustration in Johnston's voice when he assesses the turbulent financial situation at Ibrox and the restrictions of having to answer to bankers.

Yet when asked if his fire-fighting role at Rangers is the toughest job he has faced after all these years of successfully making IMG one of the biggest powerhouses in the world his surfer's-tan face breaks into a wry smile.

He added: "It's actually one of the easiest for me. Having been with IMG all these years and being involved with so many different facets of sports representation - consulting with companies, owning some media and owning events - they were full of conflicts of interest all the time.

"However, in my position at Rangers I don't have a conflict of interest. I don't work for the bank, I don't work for David Murray, I only work for Rangers.

"That is a huge relief only focusing on what's in the best interest of Rangers Football Club, so from that standpoint it's the easiest assignment I've had in 40 years."

His wide breadth of contacts in the States could play a crucial role in stretching Rangers' commercial appeal across the Atlantic in an effort to generate much-needed revenue.

A three-stop pre-season tour of America's east coast is in the pipeline and Johnston believes there is a huge untapped market of Americans with Scottish roots who could boost the club's income if marketed properly.

He said: "We are always looking at ways of adding incremental revenue. We are looking at anything from tours across here, playing matches in America and expanding the media coverage to reach out to more fans.

"We want to get the brand out there and get more people around the world aware of Rangers and able to identify with the club that is in some way revenue enhancing.

Ammunition "These are issues that you can deal with a whole lot easier when you are a winning club than when you are defending your position and don't have the podium to work off."

For the next three days though it's the golf that is upper most in Johnston and Desmond's minds - but when Celtic kick off their Scottish Cup semi final tie against Ross County tomorrow be sure there will be score updates regularly relayed to two punters just waiting for more ammunition to poke fun.

http://www.dailyreco...86908-22172801/

Nice to see him mentioning the brand.

It's about time someone addressed it,

consistently we are told you struggle to find Rangers tops in the States while the green and grey rag is readily available.

We should be ripping the arse out of it with Beasley and Edu at the club.

We should have a huge stall outside the grounds we tour at(if we do tour USA and licence permitting) and have thousands of tops

with Edu and Beasley already printed on the back and watch the cash roll in.

It's not before time somebody got off their arse and pushed the Rangers' name in foreign lands and tried to widen the fan base.I travel extensively around Australia and am left shaking my head in total friustration and anger when I see hundreds upon hundreds of men & kids wearing mhanky Green & Grey tops in the street, at football matches, at the cricket, Rugby League, Aussie Rules....You name it, they are there like fucking breeding cane Toads all over the place.

And yet I would be lucky to have seen a dozen Rangers tops all up no matter where I travel to, so I hope the Club begin to fight fire with fire because I can guarantee that 90% of the people who wear the Mhanks top couldn't even tell me who actually plays for the scum or where Porkheid is even situated in Glasgow.