1960-61 Cup Winners Cup Final

minstral

Was just thinking back to the final. The enclosure was 7 shilling and sixpence, 37 and a half pence. We wore blue and white striped shirts for both games, plus we sung what we wanted as there was no pc mob telling you what to sing. We had a great Protestant support,and Rangers were a community and a way of life and strong identity.

We also beat Ferencvaros, Borussia, Wolverhampton, and that was us in to the final against Fiorentina who were a typical Italian team, great skills but a team full of cheats. We had 80,000 at Ibrox but lost 2-0 and ended up hitting high balls in to their penalty area all night long which was a waste of time, also Eric Caldow missed a penalty which did not help. I just wish we could those days back again only for the support when we had fans that loved our club, and not like some of our fans who now use it as a hobby.

i wont forget the penalty.when the ref pointed at the spot he was surounded by purple shirts and it took about 5 mins. to get the kick taken,the keeper ran strait at caldow and eric had to try and shoot wider but,too wide it should have been retaken but the ref had had enough bottled it and gave a goal kick.if i remember was doug baillie not at no.9 for jimmy millar? he was 9 at wolves game.

Naw Mate! Alex Scott was wearing the #9 shirt in that 1st leg at Ibrox and Robert Hume was wearing the #11 shirt.

Our team that night was: #1. Billy Ritchie.

#2.Captain Cutlass. #5. Bill Paterson. #3.Eric Caldow.

#4.Harold Davis. #6. Jim Baxter.

#11.Bobby Hume. #7. Davie Wilson.

#8. Ian McMillan. #10. Ralph Brand.

#9.Alex Scott.

You are correct as Jimmy Millar had injured his back and missed the first leg.

To put the cost into persepctive - I was at the Champions League Final on Saturday - Cat 1 ticket - 300 Euros!!!! (which incidently were changing hands for 2000 Euros outside)!!!!!

Enjoyable big man?

To put the cost into persepctive - I was at the Champions League Final on Saturday - Cat 1 ticket - 300 Euros!!!! (which incidently were changing hands for 2000 Euros outside)!!!!!

Enjoyable big man?

Brilliant - had a great weekend in Madrid - fantastic atmosphere in the ground and all over the city. Madrid did a great job.

Arthur Neuman was on the flight home - surprisingly he was supporting the Germans, spoke with him a bit at the Airport.

In the 60/61 campaign I'm sure we beat Borussia Moncengladbach 8-0 at Ibrox and 11-0 on aggregate. I take it I'm right to assume that the Wolverhampton Town song came from that season when we played down at Molineux and cuffed them.

Tumshie you are spot on, and Brand scored 3 goals that night.

That must go down as one of the greatest European performances of all time as well as possibly the greatest team in Rangers history. European Cup semi-finalists in 1960, Cup Winners Cup finalists in 1961. Just a pity we couldn't lift the trophy

It was a great team but for me the 1962-63 was the best Rangers team that i have seen.

(tu)