Transfer fees

With the news that Kevin Thomson is now weighing up his future, in the last year of his current contract with Rangers, I am wondering how much we would get for a player of Thomson's class selling him to a club in England. I'd like to weigh this up with the recent transfers of a couple of ex-Scottish Premier League players. Firstly Fletcher who is now at Wolves for £7M. An adequate player to play up front but for me a player who has won nothing in his career (On another note, is this the highest transfer fee that any team has paid for a Scottish player?) Then we have the transfer of the ex-Hearts player for 6M euros, again nothing more than an average ex-Scottish Premier League player.

Now realistically I'd like to keep Thomson but if he were to go how much do you think we would get for him? A player with CL experience and has won the title in Scotland two years in a row. Some would say a future Rangers captain. How much is he worth, or, should I say, how much does the bank think he's worth in today's money soaked English 2nd division?

Well goalscorers seem to attract more attention and higher transfer fees than M/fielders so it's hard to say how much we would get for Thommo.

I guess it would all depend what club came in for him, taking into account he is on the last year of his contract.

PP is correct that Hutton went for around £9 million and Gordon went for a reported £7 million up front and £3 million based on appearances.

I think he has the potential to be worth over £10m. By that I mean that he would be worth about that if he were putting in the same quality of performance as he is here in the EPL for someone like Bolton or Blackburn. The SPL doesn't get the respect it deserves; we have some decent players here. Everybody tells us we're shit, and by selling our players for buttons, it looks like we're starting to believe it. But the fact is that, as I have said, and as English clubs are finding out, the standard of player up here's not bad. Unfortunately, this 'we're shit' paradigm means that KT could be sold for roughly £4m.

Er, that's what I meant to say. Cheers.

This is why we need to start putting seel on cluases when we sell youngish players on. They seem to be worth peanuts up here but after a season in england there value rockets up.