Stephen Thompson makes an arse of himself

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has criticised the Scottish Premier League for the timing of their pre-season managers' gathering.

Houston will assist Scotland boss Craig Levein in a friendly in Sweden on 11 August then attend the meeting two days before the new campaign starts.

"I just feel a wee bit aggrieved," Thompson told BBC Scotland.

"We're trying to do the best for everybody and the people that are suffering is probably my club."

Houston was confirmed as United manager last month after taking interim charge when Levein left his post in December to take up the Scotland manager's job.

He guided the Tayside outfit to third place in the SPL then beat Ross County to win the Scottish Cup.

His agreement at Tannadice allows him to continue as assistant to Levein in the Scotland set-up.

However, Thompson feels the timing of the SPL meeting and the Sweden friendly could impact on United's preparations for their opening league match on 14 August.

"I think it's well known that I was a bit reluctant for the Sweden game for Peter to go there but it was agreed and was part of the contract anyway," added Thompson.

"I'm quite happy with other internationals, but basically he'll come back in the early hours of the Thursday morning after the Sweden game and now the SPL, in their wisdom, have decided that's the only date where they have the mandatory managers' meeting, so that's another day we lose Peter.

"We'll probably lose him for training on the Thursday and we may well have our first league game on the Saturday, so no flexibility. End of story.

"I know it's difficult to get dates, I appreciate that. We're all trying to do the best for everybody, I'm trying to do the best for my club.

"We're also supporting Peter, the national team, Craig Levein and the SFA by letting Peter be the assistant.

"It's not the SFA's fault, when I asked the SPL about it (the meeting), I was told it's mandatory.

"It's part of the Uefa licence and if you don't tick that box you don't get the Uefa licence for next season, so you've got to go."

Dundee United communications director Derek Robertson said on Wednesday evening: "We are in dialogue with both the SFA and the SPL over this matter and are confident that an amicable solution can be found."

The SPL responded to the United chairman's claims, with a spokesman telling BBC Scotland: "The mandatory meeting he refers to is an SFA meeting, not an SPL meeting."

--

:lol:

People complain about Murray, I'd have Murray any day of the week over Thompson :lol:

I'd have Murray over most.

I'll second that, booler(tu) In fact, I'd have the Mint over the lot of them...Is there another chairman in the SPL that our fans would prefer to have rather than Murray????? I'd be interested as to who it would be.:anguish:

he is a fucking clown if your angry at anyone then be angry with yourself for being the fucking mogoloid how allowed him to become the assistant for Scotland while expecting him to be a fulltime manager of his club :doh: what a fucking bellend , poor Eddie must be rolling in his grave ffs