New Breed of Scotland Stars Can Bloom in Dark Blue

CHARLIE ADAM last night insisted Scotland's Golden Generation are ready to go to war to secure a spot at Euro 2012.

National coach Craig Levein has named his squad for next week's friendly against Sweden - a match that will afford the boss a last chance to fine tune his team before the qualifiers kick off in Lithuania on September 3.

Adam was included in the 23-man party for the Stockholm showdown and admits it's a thrill to be among the new wave of national talent.

Scotland haven't participated at a major finals for 12 years but Levein is determined to make a serious pitch for a place in Poland and Ukraine.

Adam wants to be in the thick of the campaign and is convinced the new generation of stars are as good as the nation has had for many years.

Levein is just as enthusiastic about the group and it's easy to see why, with a host of stars plying their trade in the English Premiership.

The new breed of stars such as Steven Fletcher and Graham Dorrans will join established names Darren Fletcher, James McFadden and Craig Gordon, who is set to return from injury before the end of the qualification effort.

Adam believes it's boom-time for the nation and said: "People have to realise there are some right good Scottish players around at this moment.

"Before, it may have been a wee bit different but now we have good players everywhere.

"Look at the transfer market this summer. One of the biggest moves was for Steven Fletcher. Wolves paid out £7million to get him.

"Craig Gordon cost more when he went from Hearts to Sunderland but when was the last time a club paid £7m for an outfield Scottish player? "James McArthur has signed for Wigan and Danny Wilson is at Liverpool.

"His deal to Anfield could end up as much as £5m, so there is another one who is good enough to go in and do a job for Scotland.

"There are a lot of lads going to be playing in the Premiership next season and another lot playing in the Championship.

"Graham Dorrans has also moved up into the Premiership and he was my Player of the Year in the Championship last season.

"He was out of this world at times and fantastic in the games I saw him.

"Graham's a good player and I am delighted to be in the side with him.

"It's going to be great for them and good for the national team. It so happens we have quite a lot of good players at the moment."

Adam, of course, is also among that select batch having enjoyed a magical season last term on the seaside at Blackpool.

The gifted midfielder cast aside the shackles and doubts over his abilities that surfaced during a frustrating spell at Rangers with a stunning campaign at Bloomfield Road.

Adam skippered the side to promotion and an unlikely place in this season's Premiership.

Levein savoured Adam's performances and was impressed enough to describe him as one of the players of the Championship.

And that was music to the ears of the 24-year-old, having seen his international exile ended by George Burley 10 months ago.

Adam took his chance in Japan but feared he'd be back on the sidelines when Burley was binned a month later.

However, Levein kept faith and Adam said: "If you are playing well you always have a chance of being picked for your national team.

"If you aren't, it's difficult to get in. "I was playing pretty well in the Championship last season and was just glad the opportunity came around for me under George Burley.

"From my second cap to my third in Japan was about three years. That's a long time but I wasn't playing enough at Rangers to merit a place with Scotland.

"Last year I played regularly and did well enough to earn it.

"Obviously, when a new manager comes on to the scene, you wonder if you will be part of the plans.

"But Craig Levein came to watch me and had others come to watch. I must have been doing something right because I was picked for the Czech Republic game last March.

"It was nice to hear the manager say good things about me but, as I said, Dorrans was the main man for me in last year's Championship."

Adam's delight at the appointment of Levein has been shared by the rest of the squad, who appear happy to be around the camp again after some dark days under Burley.

Talk of player unrest was never far away during the previous incumbent's term but the new man seems to have immediately reunited the group.

Adam said: "As soon as Craig got the job you knew it was a good move.

"When you consider all that he has achieved in the game, from starting out down at Cowdenbeath to going on to Hearts and Dundee United.

"Speaking to Andy Webster about his time at Hearts under Craig, you were aware of the hard work that went in to get him where he wanted to go.

"The gaffer seemed a really nice man and a really nice manager.

"Once we first met up for that Czech Republic game everything was what I expected from what I'd previously heard about the boss.

"You can get any piece of information you want from the manager. All you have to do is ask him and he'll have it.

Qualify "Kenny Black has also been appointed and the manager is trying to do it the right way. As a nation, we really want to qualify for a major tournament."

Adam would love a chance against the Swedes but is honest enough to admit this game is merely a stepping stone to the serious challenges that lie ahead for Levein and his new-look squad.

World Champions Spain lie in wait in Scotland's section for the qualification campaign and as the reigning European Champions they will be determined to defend the trophy they won in 2008.

But facing that outrageously talented side, boasting stars such as Xavi, Andres Iniesta and David Villa, isn't keeping Levein up at night. He is undeterred and seems determined to have a serious go.

Adam believes the Scots can make an impact on the section and at the very least push for a play-off spot.

And for him, Stockholm marks the beginning of the quest. He said: "Friendly or not, I'm raring to go.

"We are gearing up for Lithuania and this game is part of that.

"Of course, the friendly in Sweden is nice to be part of but it's all about the match with Lithuania."

CHARLIE ADAM last night insisted Scotland's Golden Generation are ready to go to war to secure a spot at Euro 2012.

National coach Craig Levein has named his squad for next week's friendly against Sweden - a match that will afford the boss a last chance to fine tune his team before the qualifiers kick off in Lithuania on September 3.

Adam was included in the 23-man party for the Stockholm showdown and admits it's a thrill to be among the new wave of national talent.

Scotland haven't participated at a major finals for 12 years but Levein is determined to make a serious pitch for a place in Poland and Ukraine.

Adam wants to be in the thick of the campaign and is convinced the new generation of stars are as good as the nation has had for many years.

Levein is just as enthusiastic about the group and it's easy to see why, with a host of stars plying their trade in the English Premiership.

The new breed of stars such as Steven Fletcher and Graham Dorrans will join established names Darren Fletcher, James McFadden and Craig Gordon, who is set to return from injury before the end of the qualification effort.

Adam believes it's boom-time for the nation and said: "People have to realise there are some right good Scottish players around at this moment.

"Before, it may have been a wee bit different but now we have good players everywhere.

"Look at the transfer market this summer. One of the biggest moves was for Steven Fletcher. Wolves paid out £7million to get him.

"Craig Gordon cost more when he went from Hearts to Sunderland but when was the last time a club paid £7m for an outfield Scottish player? "James McArthur has signed for Wigan and Danny Wilson is at Liverpool.

"His deal to Anfield could end up as much as £5m, so there is another one who is good enough to go in and do a job for Scotland.

"There are a lot of lads going to be playing in the Premiership next season and another lot playing in the Championship.

"Graham Dorrans has also moved up into the Premiership and he was my Player of the Year in the Championship last season.

"He was out of this world at times and fantastic in the games I saw him.

"Graham's a good player and I am delighted to be in the side with him.

"It's going to be great for them and good for the national team. It so happens we have quite a lot of good players at the moment."

Adam, of course, is also among that select batch having enjoyed a magical season last term on the seaside at Blackpool.

The gifted midfielder cast aside the shackles and doubts over his abilities that surfaced during a frustrating spell at Rangers with a stunning campaign at Bloomfield Road.

Adam skippered the side to promotion and an unlikely place in this season's Premiership.

Levein savoured Adam's performances and was impressed enough to describe him as one of the players of the Championship.

And that was music to the ears of the 24-year-old, having seen his international exile ended by George Burley 10 months ago.

Adam took his chance in Japan but feared he'd be back on the sidelines when Burley was binned a month later.

However, Levein kept faith and Adam said: "If you are playing well you always have a chance of being picked for your national team.

"If you aren't, it's difficult to get in. "I was playing pretty well in the Championship last season and was just glad the opportunity came around for me under George Burley.

"From my second cap to my third in Japan was about three years. That's a long time but I wasn't playing enough at Rangers to merit a place with Scotland.

"Last year I played regularly and did well enough to earn it.

"Obviously, when a new manager comes on to the scene, you wonder if you will be part of the plans.

"But Craig Levein came to watch me and had others come to watch. I must have been doing something right because I was picked for the Czech Republic game last March.

"It was nice to hear the manager say good things about me but, as I said, Dorrans was the main man for me in last year's Championship."

Adam's delight at the appointment of Levein has been shared by the rest of the squad, who appear happy to be around the camp again after some dark days under Burley.

Talk of player unrest was never far away during the previous incumbent's term but the new man seems to have immediately reunited the group.

Adam said: "As soon as Craig got the job you knew it was a good move.

"When you consider all that he has achieved in the game, from starting out down at Cowdenbeath to going on to Hearts and Dundee United.

"Speaking to Andy Webster about his time at Hearts under Craig, you were aware of the hard work that went in to get him where he wanted to go.

"The gaffer seemed a really nice man and a really nice manager.

"Once we first met up for that Czech Republic game everything was what I expected from what I'd previously heard about the boss.

"You can get any piece of information you want from the manager. All you have to do is ask him and he'll have it.

Qualify "Kenny Black has also been appointed and the manager is trying to do it the right way. As a nation, we really want to qualify for a major tournament."

Adam would love a chance against the Swedes but is honest enough to admit this game is merely a stepping stone to the serious challenges that lie ahead for Levein and his new-look squad.

World Champions Spain lie in wait in Scotland's section for the qualification campaign and as the reigning European Champions they will be determined to defend the trophy they won in 2008.

But facing that outrageously talented side, boasting stars such as Xavi, Andres Iniesta and David Villa, isn't keeping Levein up at night. He is undeterred and seems determined to have a serious go.

Adam believes the Scots can make an impact on the section and at the very least push for a play-off spot.

And for him, Stockholm marks the beginning of the quest. He said: "Friendly or not, I'm raring to go.

"We are gearing up for Lithuania and this game is part of that.

"Of course, the friendly in Sweden is nice to be part of but it's all about the match with Lithuania."

Hutton ? :rolleyes:

Can't disagree with the sentiment of what Charlie Adam is saying, Scotland National team has got some strength and depth to it for the 1st time in a long while.

Also we have some good up incoming players in our U21, like Barry Bannan, Tom Cairney, Grant Hanley etc

We have some talent in our group at the moment, first time in a long while I've looked at a Scotland squad and been excited at the prospect of it. A play-off spot is a must with this squad, IMO.