The Rangers 'Annual' Meeting 1883

TheMoonlighter

Here's the Athole Arms Hotel where our meeting was held.

2cwo5lk.jpg

1877 saw the Rangers compete in their first ever Scottish Cup Final, they were only a boys club but incredibly took Vale of Leven to 3 games, before the tie was decided at 1st Hampden with Vale winning 3-2.

After the first game at the West of Scotland Cricket Ground in Partick both teams retired to The Athole Arms Hotel where ''much debating, drinking and laughter was enjoyed''.

Rangers also held many of their early meetings here.

This establishment was situated where the Vale Pub now stands in Dundas Street, next door to Sammy Dows and stretched to include the ground where the side entrance to Buchanan Street Underground now sits.

Thousands of Rangers supporters will walk through it's front doors when taking the Tube to Ibrox.

The Athole Arms we believe was owned by one of the Vale of Leven players, so no coincedence the today we have the VALE BAR.

Great historical piece.

I cant imagine the hours and hours of trawling through old papers and the like to unearth these small gems from our founding years.

I'm so looking forward to the Founders Trail this Sunday, and finding out more about our history, and wee gems like this are a reminder of our humble beginnings.

The Rangers - The greatest rags to riches story ever. :21:

The Athole Arms Hotel address of 13-21 Dundas Street must be on the site of today's side entrance to Buchanan Street Underground, next to Queen Street railway station. There is a turning circle for Hackney Taxis just north of both the Vale and Dows pubs, I imagine that was the location.

Interestingly, a dozen yards further north on the other side of Dundas Street, is the location of a present day Sellik Shoap.

The Athole Arms Hotel address of 13-21 Dundas Street must be on the site of today's side entrance to Buchanan Street Underground, next to Queen Street railway station. There is a turning circle for Hackney Taxis just north of both the Vale and Dows pubs, I imagine that was the location.

Interestingly, a dozen yards further north on the other side of Dundas Street, is the location of a present day Sellik Shoap.

Yep, that's exactly where it stood.

The SFA Offices stood next door.