Sony press conference

klbs-RFC

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

-------------

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.

• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.

• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Full Story

What do you think?

I get a month free for Plus then? Considering I only missed two weeks of it, that's pretty good.

I bought plus in the summer of last year and I have to say its well worth the 40quid. You can set your system to do automatic downloads during the night to which at this stage it also downloads the Demos, games, etc that you have bought to download. Also you get exclusivity to some demos and money off games and download content.

See how you like it but I would buy it if i were you mate.

I bought plus in the summer of last year and I have to say its well worth the 40quid. You can set your system to do automatic downloads during the night to which at this stage it also downloads the Demos, games, etc that you have bought to download. Also you get exclusivity to some demos and money off games and download content.

See how you like it but I would buy it if i were you mate.

No I have bought it, bought it a few weeks ago. I'd agree that it's worth it long term, definitely. Cloud saving as well.

No I have bought it, bought it a few weeks ago. I'd agree that it's worth it long term, definitely. Cloud saving as well.

How does cloud saving work? Is that when you save it to pretty much the internet then are able to play that save whenever you sign in somewhere else?

Also how do you set it up?

How does cloud saving work? Is that when you save it to pretty much the internet then are able to play that save whenever you sign in somewhere else?

Also how do you set it up?

I haven't used it yet either, didn't know about till after PSN went down. Basically yeah, you can save your games to your account rather than the PS3, so you can sign in anywhere and load that save.

Giving everybody playstation plus for 30 days could be a great move on Sonys part, The potential for loads of people liking it and subscribing to it after the 30 days could be a gold mine for them. I haven't subscribed to playstation plus before and i'm looking forward to using it to see if i will get it after the 30 days, Really dont know why they never gave everybody a trial before.

Heard you only get this update and able to change your password if you have the same PS3 you activated your account on

I have had like 3 PS3's so wtf...

Sony has confirmed that you will not need to log into your PSN account on the PS3 that you created that account on only.

Earlier today, Sony held a press conference regarding the recent PlayStation Network hack, and provided several details on what steps will be taken from here on. One of the points that was mentioned by the translator was that the user’s PlayStation Network account password will need to be changed as soon as he or she logs into it once the network is back online. During this point, it was also mentioned that the password could only be changed “on the same PS3 the account was created or activated.” This can be heard around the 13:30 mark on the press conference video. The press release that was also uploaded during conference states:

Sony: The Same PS3 an Account Was Created on is Not Required When PSN Returns-pr.jpg

''As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data''.

This has led many to believe that their accounts are lost, as a lot of users have been forced to buy a new PlayStation 3 due to hardware failures in the past. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s community moderators have confirmed that you do not need to log on to the PlayStation Network with the PS3 that you created your account on.

''As long as your account is also activated on your current machine (i.e you have downloaded content to it previously) you should be okay''.

So, as long as you didn’t deactivate your PlayStation Network account through account management, you will be able to log in and change your password.

(tu)