Fergie Salutes Walter

Sir Awex has praised Walter and says that this spell in charge is even more of an achievement than the 9-in-a-row years.

A very interesting point is that he offered a couple of Man Utd players on loan this season but we could not afford the wages. I wonder who the players were...?

SIR Alex Ferguson reckons it will be Walter Smith's finest achievement in football if he clinches the title today to make it Three-in-a-Row.

If Gers defeat Kilmarnock this afternoon they will secure the SPL championship in what will be Smith's final game in charge of the club he has managed on two separate occasions.

In his first spell he clinched Nine-in-a-Row but Ferguson has no doubt this will be the best of the lot if his close friend emerges victorious today to pip Celtic to the title.

Ferguson has been impressed with the way Smith has guided his threadbare squad to the brink of glory despite having little room for manoeuvre in the transfer market while constantly working under the financial uncertainty hanging over Ibrox.

And speaking at his club's Carrington training ground, the Manchester United manager told MailSport: "Rangers are a huge club. The problem is the fans expect success every year.

"More than 40,000 of them turn out at home games and still expect to see quality players in the mould of Baxter, Miller and Brand.

"It's amazing Walter has been able to handle that, despite the lack of investment.

"I recently offered him a couple of players on loan and he couldn't afford the wages.

"He has given everything to the club and he is going out at the very top.

"It's the same as what I told our keeper Edwin van der Saar - make sure you go out at the top. That's what Walter will do.

"He is ready to win his 10th championship with Rangers which is incredible. But what he has achieved this time, in his second spell, is better than the Nine-in-a-Row success.

"He has a small squad and while it may be a two-horse race in Scotland it's still a tough job to beat Celtic. And to do it this year, taking everything he's had to deal with away from football into account, I can't speak highly enough of him.

"Walter certainly made the right decision to go to Rangers with Graeme Souness in 1986. He has been a great servant.

"He is a good man. He's always stuck by his own principles and always worked hard. He's a good thinker, a cautious thinker. He'll be a loss to Rangers as it's nothing short of amazing what he has achieved there.

"Celtic had a right go this season with the players they bought and in the last league game at Ibrox they were the better team in the second half.

"They got a penalty and the save from Allan McGregor has won Rangers the league. It changed everything.

"Celtic were then poor at Inverness but Rangers have thrashed every side since then."

Ferguson wouldn't be surprised to see Smith back working in the Premiership in the not too distant future.

If that happens, the 63-year-old will join the expanding list of Scottish managers there - Kenny Dalglish, Davie Moyes, Owen Coyle, Alex McLeish, Stevie Kean and Paul Lambert.

Billy Davies may also hook up with the tartan contingent if his Nottingham Forest side win the Championship play-offs.

Ferguson is very proud of the lot of them and said: "It's great to have so many Scottish managers in the Premiership. The best thing is that it means nearly half of them understand me!

"We have six just now while Paul Lambert is coming with Norwich and Billy Davies might make it with Forest.

"It's wonderful for our country to have so many good managers down here."

Smith bossed Everton after he left Rangers in 1998 and then had a spell as Ferguson's assistant at Old Trafford in 2004.

He enjoyed renewing their partnership after working together with Scotland at the 1986 World Cup Finals in Mexico.

Ferguson said: "I knew I only needed someone in for a few months and Walter was ideal.

"I flew up to Glasgow and had a cup of tea with Walter and told him I was bringing Carlos Quiroz back from Real Madrid so only needed him for a few months.

"The players loved him. His best contribution was in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal.

"It was his idea to let the Arsenal left-back come forward to allow Ronaldo to move into the space and exploit it.

"That's what I mean about Walter being a thinker. We won the game and went on to win the Cup."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/2011/05/15/walter-smith-s-greatest-achievement-would-be-winning-this-title-says-sir-alex-86908-23132048/

I think it was last season or before regarding the players, talk of it being Obertan or Cleverly can't remember the other.

Nice piece though (tu)

Sir Furious also jumping the gun though, it's not over yet Awex !

I think it was last season or before regarding the players, talk of it being Obertan or Cleverly can't remember the other.

Nice piece though (tu)

Sir Furious also jumping the gun though, it's not over yet Awex !

Ah right... Cheers for the info. I remember Obertan being linked.

I also thought that when he said the penalty save has won us the league... I just hope we can do it today. The nerves are jangling but I don't want to start bevvying this early!

'Ferguson is very proud of the lot of them and said: "It's great to have so many Scottish managers in the Premiership. The best thing is that it means nearly half of them understand me!"'

Do you think the journo is having a wee chuckle about this?

Ah right... Cheers for the info. I remember Obertan being linked.

I also thought that when he said the penalty save has won us the league... I just hope we can do it today. The nerves are jangling but I don't want to start bevvying this early!

(tu)

Be a man and get the bevvy started like the rest of us have. I was on the sauce last night aswell !