1,517 Serie A Foreign Players 1929-30 to 2010-11

There has been a total of 1,517 Foreign players in the Italian Serie A League Championship from season 1929-30 to 2010-11.

Not surprisingly, Inter Milan have had the most Foreign players with 166.

Argentina has supplied the most Foreign players with 226.

A total of 83 different countries have supplied players to Serie A.

57 of the 60 Italian clubs who have participated in Serie A since 1929 have had at least one Foreign player.

The three exceptions are Casale, Pro Vercelli and Ternana.

Full details of all 1,517 Foreign players can be found here...

Serie A Foreign Players

...while details of the Clubs and Countries can be found here...

Serie A Foreign Players by Club & Country

Only useful if we have other leagues to compare to it.

The Scottish Premier League has had 558 Foreign players from 1998-99 to 2010-11

By comparision, the Premier League in England has had 1,289 Foreign players from 1992-93 to 2010-11.

I'm still working on the Spanish La Liga stats from 1929 to 2010-11, but I would estimate that there's been around 1,850 Foreign players up to the end of last season.

Good thanks, yourself? Used to see you posting on their quite a lot but was a lurker most of the time :)

Doing well, thanks.

I haven't posted on F365 for around 18 months now, as I've been far too busy with my footy site.

Who was the third Scotsman? I can name Joe Jordan and Dennis Law but can`t think of the last one. Any takers for the third? Was it a well known ex Sky pundit?

Graeme Souness did I think

Who was the third Scotsman? I can name Joe Jordan and Dennis Law but can`t think of the last one. Any takers for the third? Was it a well known ex Sky pundit?

Denis Law (Torino – 1961-62), Joe Jordan (AC Milan, Verona – 1981-82, 1983–84) and Graeme Souness (Sampdoria – 1984-86).

Denis Law (Torino – 1961-62), Joe Jordan (AC Milan, Verona – 1981-82, 1983–84) and Graeme Souness (Sampdoria – 1984-86).

Thanks for that, fancy missing out on the obvoius one! That is a pretty sad statistic for a nation like ours, only 3 players. The Italian game is probably not suited to our style of play, I guess.

Thanks for that, fancy missing out on the obvoius one! That is a pretty sad statistic for a nation like ours, only 3 players. The Italian game is probably not suited to our style of play, I guess.

Just for the sake of accuracy, there was also a Scotsman who played in Italy before Serie A started in 1929-30.

Before 1929, the Leagues were arranged on a regional, not National, basis.

Foreign players were called "Oriundo" and Giovanni (Johnny) Moscardini played for a variety of Italian clubs, including AS Barga, Lucchese, Pisa & Genoa.

Although born in Falkirk, Moscardini was capped 9 times of the Italian national team, scoring seven goals.

He returned to Scotland after his playing days were over and died in Prestwick in 1985.