Transfer Policy

stewaj3

A lot of complaints about it so far in that we've not made a signing and it appears that at least 3 targets have slipped through our hands. Vaughan, Conway & Hemed all seem to have turned us down but I for one am not too angry about how we've gone about these. Yes we've gone public, but that is no bad thing as for me.... these players were already attracting a lot of interest and would have had offers regardless, I don't think going public damaged our chances of getting any of them.

Out of the 3, Vaughans the one I feel would have offered the most quality & would have improved on what we have here already, bit worried that if we got him we'd have stuck him out on the left anyway and for me he's wasted there. Hemed looked decent and would have offered a good alternative to what we already have up front, but he's untested in scotland and has only really had 1 full season of success in israel, It was going to be a gamble anyway, I'm sure if you watch clips of Morten Rasmussen on youtube he probably looks alright and he hasn't set the heather alight across the road, So not fussed at all. Conway I was never bothered about to be honest, at first I thought free transfer would be a decent signing, but we already have Wylde do we really need Conway too, Is he that much greater in quality than Wylde? Plus Wylde will improve if he gets game time, signing Conway would have limited that. We need quality over quantity.

My feeling is davie weir is here for another year, otherwise Ally would have made a cb his first target. Either that or there's something already in the pipeline for someone else but to be honest I don't think we're close to signing Cuellar, Wilson or Bartley yet. (would love to be wrong on that) If Super brings in a player who hasn't played a while I think its important they get a full pre season under there belts with us.

Another hunch I have is that we might start the season with James Beattie in our squad.. you'll know how much I back all current rangers players when you read the next bit... his first year here was a disaster, he looked slow and sluggish but then so did Kris Boyd. If James Beattie remains a rangers player (i.e no one will take him) and I was Ally I'd have a word with James and say ok fresh start go out and show me what you can do. I'd then stick him on the bench and play Laff & Jela & bring him on for a few games n see what kind of impact he has with a full pre-season behind him. If it still doesn't work out I'd tear up his deal. If he does leave I won't shed any tears.

Hopefully John Brown & Neil Murray can unearth 1 or 2 gems from further afield but if there's one thing to be learned from Walter Smith it's all about getting the right players in, both McCleish and Le Guen dived into the transfer marked face first and bought a lot of duds where as Walter took his time and brought in the right players for us. Hopefully Ally can do the same and we can get 4IAR in the bag!

Whilst still early, I worry about the CL qualifiers.

The only other worry I would have is that if we get to a certain point with no signings, we might start to see signings like Beattie, i.e. panic buys.

Healey, Foster, Weir, Alan Smith etc etc would all be a backwards step.

I am reasonably happy that we didn't blow a lot of money on Hemed and Conway, Vaughan was always likely to stay in the EPL.

Also I am sure that there are targets we don't know about. Hopefully once July comes things will start moving faster.

Got to remember too the players that come here shouldn't be coming here for the big bucks.. that's the good thing about signing players from the uk... they know what it means to be playing for us.

Got to remember too the players that come here shouldn't be coming here for the big bucks.. that's the good thing about signing players from the uk... they know what it means to be playing for us.

Were Boyd and Mhiller not from the UK?

Or do they not count?

Were Boyd and Mhiller not from the UK?

Or do they not count?

Boyd and Miller certainly didn't come here for the big bucks! Both Certainly knew what it meant to play for us, they knew what was expected of them... and if they didn't at the time realise how good they had it they certainly do now. We've lost players before and we will do again, like I've said we cannot compete with the top leagues when it comes to signing players or paying wages.

I'm not sure what your point is in relation to my article? Other than expressing your dissatisfaction towards 2 players who left for pure financial reasons and now probably both regret it. I don't think you can argue that they didn't know what it meant to play for this club or that when they didn't know what was expected of them.

A lot of complaints about it so far in that we've not made a signing and it appears that at least 3 targets have slipped through our hands. Vaughan, Conway & Hemed all seem to have turned us down but I for one am not too angry about how we've gone about these. Yes we've gone public, but that is no bad thing as for me.... these players were already attracting a lot of interest and would have had offers regardless, I don't think going public damaged our chances of getting any of them.

Out of the 3, Vaughans the one I feel would have offered the most quality & would have improved on what we have here already, bit worried that if we got him we'd have stuck him out on the left anyway and for me he's wasted there. Hemed looked decent and would have offered a good alternative to what we already have up front, but he's untested in scotland and has only really had 1 full season of success in israel, It was going to be a gamble anyway, I'm sure if you watch clips of Morten Rasmussen on youtube he probably looks alright and he hasn't set the heather alight across the road, So not fussed at all. Conway I was never bothered about to be honest, at first I thought free transfer would be a decent signing, but we already have Wylde do we really need Conway too, Is he that much greater in quality than Wylde? Plus Wylde will improve if he gets game time, signing Conway would have limited that. We need quality over quantity.

My feeling is davie weir is here for another year, otherwise Ally would have made a cb his first target. Either that or there's something already in the pipeline for someone else but to be honest I don't think we're close to signing Cuellar, Wilson or Bartley yet. (would love to be wrong on that) If Super brings in a player who hasn't played a while I think its important they get a full pre season under there belts with us.

Another hunch I have is that we might start the season with James Beattie in our squad.. you'll know how much I back all current rangers players when you read the next bit... his first year here was a disaster, he looked slow and sluggish but then so did Kris Boyd. If James Beattie remains a rangers player (i.e no one will take him) and I was Ally I'd have a word with James and say ok fresh start go out and show me what you can do. I'd then stick him on the bench and play Laff & Jela & bring him on for a few games n see what kind of impact he has with a full pre-season behind him. If it still doesn't work out I'd tear up his deal. If he does leave I won't shed any tears.

Hopefully John Brown & Neil Murray can unearth 1 or 2 gems from further afield but if there's one thing to be learned from Walter Smith it's all about getting the right players in, both McCleish and Le Guen dived into the transfer marked face first and bought a lot of duds where as Walter took his time and brought in the right players for us. Hopefully Ally can do the same and we can get 4IAR in the bag!

I disagree with the first point in bold in the sense that making these offers public at a very early stage shows our hand - so to speak. Maybe it is a tactic that has been brought in purposely. Maybe making these public is to show others that we are actively pursuing targets and we mean business. But I still prefer to leave things in private until we have something agreed.

The second point on the otherhand I agree with totally. Walter almost always was very shrewd in the market. He always seemed to get in players who would make a huge difference i.e. Jelavic, or alternatively he brought players in who would do a job when required i.e. Foster.

I wouldn't panic too much about no confirmed signings as of yet - I just get the feeling that we are working on at least 1 or 2 "quality" signings, and for these I will be willing to wait.