Kenny Mcdowall On His Job Now, Following Walter And Him Being No.1

Boab

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

Kenny McDowall insists it's not just new boss Ally McCoist's reputation at stake this season - but also Walter Smith's.

McDowall is McCoist's trusted right-hand man in the new Ibrox set-up and with Ian Durrant named as first-team coach it's the Gers' dream team.

McDowall, though, insists it's the fear of it turning into a nightmare which drives them on with the trio desperate to prove Smith RIGHT for throwing his weight behind their appointment.

He said: "It's one thing taking over from Walter but we have to prove we can hack it. We'd love to do it for Walter, to prove him right and show how well he taught us over the five years.

"It's a big challenge ahead for us. We are not naive. To follow Walter Smith is daunting.

"At the end of the day, if we didn't do it then someone else would - probably someone less equipped to do that job."

McDowall insists he couldn't fail to learn from Smith.

He said: "We're better coaches and it comes from wee things.

"Handling players is such a huge factor and he's fantastic at that.

"You also mature as a coach. When you are younger, you want to set up fancy drills.

"That's fine, we all come through that stage, but at this level, it is about a Saturday or a midweek game and then getting the guys right.

"Walter taught me how important the games are compared to a training session that might look fantastic."

McDowall says nothing much has altered behind the scenes now McCoist is in charge.

He added: "I'm not expecting it to change too much in terms of the training pitch.

"Myself, Durranty and Adam will still carry out those duties.

"I'll probably have to do more media stuff but that goes with the job.

"We have been working together for five years and we know how to handle players. We'd like to think we can treat the boys well.

"Now that Ally is the manager, he will do what Walter used to do and have the final say when we are debating teams and stuff.

"Walter was fantastic at involving us. On a Friday, we'd all pick a team and then dissect it.

"If there was anything that Walter felt strongly about then of course that was it, it would happen.

"I think Alastair will be the same."

McDowall is one of the most respected coaches in the Scottish game.

He'd make a top boss in his own right but insists that's simply not for him.

The ex-Celtic youth coach added: "It's not something I think about. It's something where you can never say never, but I love what I do.

"I've just been appointed the assistant manager at Rangers and I would need to go some to top that - even with being a boss somewhere else, to be honest.

"As much as you might want to be a manager, the graveyard is full of young coaches who want to be managers and just don't make it.

"Everything I learned at Celtic equipped me for here and I love it. No one has approached me with any offers."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679625/We-cant-wilt-and-fail-Walter.html#ixzz1RHAclPZP