Why All The Gnashing Of Teeth When A Player Is Tried In Another Position?

It seems to be fashionable to have a fit of weeping and wailing every time a player is "played out of position" these days.

Walter used to get it in the neck for having men play relatively unfamiliar roles for the good of the team, and it hasn't been unknown already for Ally to be criticised for doing the same. OK, some times it doesn't work, but our history has shown us that a bit of experimentation can unearth greatness.

I'm not advocating fixing something that's not broken with a player, but sometimes verstility needs to be utilised, and also sometimes a switch of position sees a player discovering his true potential, whether by accident or design.

Jimmy Millar went from wing half to striking legend after a switch, and the same goes for his partner who was tried on both wings previous to moving inside.

Sandy Jardine was tried in different positions before becoming a World Class right back...and took part in our finest hour alongside a legendary striker playing centre half, and a midfielder who became the best sweeper I've seen at Ibrox.

The Ledge was a very good right half, but was asked to play right back in one of our country's most famous wins, scoring in the process, and also finished his career at left back.

Gio filled in as left back when required, as did The Hammer, and even our present manager played as a midfielder at times before becoming one of the best strikers we ever did see.

As I've said, sometimes a player moves out of necessity, and sometimes it is to see if he suits another position...but it's often been a good thing, and not something to get our knickers in a twist over, as some do.

Feel free to add other players who switched position to the benefit of Rangers.