Liverpool Bans Its Taxi Drivers From Wearing Football Shirts

Lando

TAXI drivers were ordered to smarten up by airport bosses fearful of visitors’ first impressions of Liverpool.

Cabbies picking up at John Lennon Airport must now abide by a dress code detailing what they can and can’t wear.

Football shirts, vests and flip-flops are all on the banned list.

Angry taxi drivers today described the rules, which could see them banned from the rank if not followed, as “a step too far”.

Some have already been stopped from plying for hire for repeatedly ignoring warnings.

Hackney driver Gareth O’Connor, from Norris Green, often wears his Liverpool FC top.

Quick Vote

Are JLA bosses right to introduce a taxi dress code?

Yes

76.1%

No

23.9%

He said: “I’m a Red and I don’t see why I shouldn’t be allowed to wear my shirt.

“There’s loads of us that wear Everton and Liverpool shirts and it’s never been a problem. It’s discrimination.

“There’s nothing wrong in being ambassadors for Liverpool but this is a step too far.”

The airport’s conduct code states drivers must be “suitably attired” and hackney drivers should maintain high standards of personal hygiene.

It adds: “They must project an air of professionalism in their appearance which is consistent with LJLA’s aims and objectives.”

Drivers must wear smart, clean clothes at all times, with bans on string vests and bare chests.

John Lennon Airport said the code was created with the approval of union Unite and Liverpool city council.

A spokesperson said: “All hackney drivers who work at the airport sign an agreement to abide by this code of conduct and whilst the majority of drivers are more than happy to adhere to the code a minority continue to refuse to do so.

“Despite warnings over their behaviour the airport company has consequently refused to allow such drivers to work from the rank should they refuse to abide by the dress code or any other terms and conditions.”

Last year Wirral drivers were told tracksuits and shell-suits, dirty shoes and shorts were “unacceptable”.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/09/07/angry-liverpool-john-lennon-airport-taxi-drivers-banned-from-wearing-football-shirts-vests-and-flip-flops-vote-100252-29375166/#ixzz1XTf2ODOJ

It's a right weird city for stuff like that.

I was in a club down there and a girl behind the bar was wearing an Everton top.

On topic; I don't think it's too much to ask workers in the service-industry to make some effort. I'm not suggesting shirt and tie, but surely they can do better than flip-flops and a fkn football top?!