No Games On A Friday This Season For Us

julescotia

SPL Friday night football is set to continue this season — but WITHOUT the Old Firm.

The SPL's second Friday night experiment will come when Motherwell host Hibs on December 2.

The SFL continue their switch with Hamilton's meeting with Partick Thistle now on January 13.

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "In terms of the Old Firm we must walk before we run. More high-profile games will present more challenges so I'd think it unlikely we'll have any Friday Old Firm games this season.

"It's important we start low profile and see how they go. We won't tell any club they HAVE to play on a Friday night.

"We have to show everyone it shouldn't be off the agenda. There will be a handful this season then we'll look at it again next season.

"Different clubs have different views. Some are keen, others are waiting to see how it goes.

"I was at the Aberdeen v Dunfermline game and I'm sure the people watching a Friday night game under lights enjoyed it — it opens up a new audience who'd be playing on a Saturday.

"The majority of views so far have been positive but these are pilots and it's important we don't develop them from being pilots too early."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3937626/Old-Firm-Friday-on-back-burner.html#ixzz1dp39N1UP

Absolutely. If it helps to drive the numbers up, then great.

If every game in the SPL of a week could get just 8,000+ fans attending, the game would dramatically improve.

Couple that with what Mark Wotte wants to achieve and the under-21s performance against Netherlands and things are (finally) on the up.

If every game in the SPL of a week could get just 8,000+ fans attending, the game would dramatically improve.

Couple that with what Mark Wotte wants to achieve and the under-21s performance against Netherlands and things are (finally) on the up.

Agree completely. Things need to change, and this is a step in the right direction.

3 simple solutions to get fans back.

Stop this legislation and all the pish about being offended at certain songs.

Drastically reduce the ticket prices (costs will have to be reduced accordingly which may be a big hurdle)

Make certain areas standing so fans can get back to what they enjoyed.

Once you get the fans back in and they start spending money then you can look at making more off them in terms of catering and merchandise to offset potential drops in ticket pricing.

I remember us beating the filth in the Glasgow Cup Final on a wet Friday night and not only was the stadium full but it was for a Glasgow Cup Final.

I also don't recall there being any trouble.

This "trouble" has been grossly exaggerated by the authorities and over hyped by a media intent on making lurid claims and sensationalist headlines to make them money.

I remember us beating the filth in the Glasgow Cup Final on a wet Friday night and not only was the stadium full but it was for a Glasgow Cup Final.

I also don't recall there being any trouble.

This "trouble" has been grossly exaggerated by the authorities and over hyped by a media intent on making lurid claims and sensationalist headlines to make them money.

Another one was at Ibrox on a Friday , Souness came on the park as he was still with Sampdoria and Walter took the team. Think Ally scored hat trick if memory serves me right , was a sell out.

Another one was at Ibrox on a Friday , Souness came on the park as he was still with Sampdoria and Walter took the team. Think Ally scored hat trick if memory serves me right , was a sell out.

From memory i think we drew 2-2 after 90 minutes and McCoist did indeed score the winner and complete his hat-trick in extra time.And Souness indeed made a morale boosting appearance on the pitch to rally the players before the extra time period. Was the last game for quite a few of the players that night.

Rangers :- Walker, Burns, Munro, McKinnon, McPherson, Dawson, Fraser, Durrant, McCoist, McMinn,Cooper

Celtic :- Latchford, Grant, McGrain, Aitken, MacGugan, McLeod, McClair, McStay, Johnston, Burns, McGhee

From memory i think we drew 2-2 after 90 minutes and McCoist did indeed score the winner and complete his hat-trick in extra time.And Souness indeed made a morale boosting appearance on the pitch to rally the players before the extra time period. Was the last game for quite a few of the players that night.

Rangers :- Walker, Burns, Munro, McKinnon, McPherson, Dawson, Fraser, Durrant, McCoist, McMinn,Cooper

Celtic :- Latchford, Grant, McGrain, Aitken, MacGugan, McLeod, McClair, McStay, Johnston, Burns, McGhee

Spot on00000042.gif That night also has a funny side to ti. Was there with my mate and he said is it ok if I take a guy that works for me to the game. Yeah said i no problem, so in the pub was good start to the evening guy was brand new. Mate said you ok with him, yeah said i again, So at the game half time mate away to the toilet and looked up the other end and said i fucking hate those bastards to which came the reply I am one of them uk.gifI nearly fell over laughing my mate came down the stairs laughing like fuck as he must have realised i had discovered the dark secret 21.gif