Playing my xbox on a computer monitor.

StevenDavis

As I am getting a new laptop I will no longer use my computer and my computer monitor. As I'm also needing a new TV as my old one is gash, I was wondering whether I could just buy a Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable and play my xbox 360 through my monitor?

However, how do I know whether the computer monitor I have will be able to run HD?

Cheers.

Does not have have an HMDI port to be HD.

As long as the monitors supports 1280x720p or more natively for older monitors 1280x768p then it will be in HD. I used a TV which is also a monitor and until recently I used the Xbox VGA hd cable and it was in hd.

I had it on 720 but it also supported 1080i and I played at a resolution of 1280x720p. If it is an LCD monitor though the most common native resolution for a HD ready one is 1366x768p.

The resolution will also depend on whether the monitor is widescreen or not. The above resolutions are HD on 16:9 monitors (widescreen) but for a 4:3 monitor you'd be looking at a resolution of say 1280x1024p.

If your monitor outputs any of these resolution then you've effectively got a HD monitor.

Another thing to add though is that VGA cable does not transmit sound without the addition of an external sound device so if your monitor has no speakers built in you may need to play the Red and White jacks of the VGA cable into a separate sound system.

Does not have have an HMDI port to be HD.

As long as the monitors supports 1280x720p or more natively for older monitors 1280x768p then it will be in HD. I used a TV which is also a monitor and until recently I used the Xbox VGA hd cable and it was in hd.

I had it on 720 but it also supported 1080i and I played at a resolution of 1280x720p. If it is an LCD monitor though the most common native resolution for a HD ready one is 1366x768p.

The resolution will also depend on whether the monitor is widescreen or not. The above resolutions are HD on 16:9 monitors (widescreen) but for a 4:3 monitor you'd be looking at a resolution of say 1280x1024p.

If your monitor outputs any of these resolution then you've effectively got a HD monitor.

My current screen resolution is 1366x768p so I'm hoping by what you're saying it will be HD Ready, but I don't want to buy the VGA cable and then find out I can't use it cause my monitor's not good enough. Tbh, I might just get a 22" TV anyway for £150 rather than risk buying all the stuff for it to work on the monitor then realise it doesn't work.

Another thing to add though is that VGA cable does not transmit sound without the addition of an external sound device so if your monitor has no speakers built in you may need to play the Red and White jacks of the VGA cable into a separate sound system.

Aye, what I was going to do is buy a jack I can plug an auxiliary cable into aswell as the red and white jacks and just play it through my surround sound.

My current screen resolution is 1366x768p so I'm hoping by what you're saying it will be HD Ready, but I don't want to buy the VGA cable and then find out I can't use it cause my monitor's not good enough. Tbh, I might just get a 22" TV anyway for £150 rather than risk buying all the stuff for it to work on the monitor then realise it doesn't work.

Aye, what I was going to do is buy a jack I can plug an auxiliary cable into aswell as the red and white jacks and just play it through my surround sound.

You should honestly be fine and it will play in HD, not Full HD i.e 1080p but it will be "HD Ready". Any resolution above 1280x720 is considered HD. Here is a link which shows some resolutions which are HD. You'll need to scroll down a bit.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/

If you are not convinced by me all you need to do is pop into a PC World and they'll pretty much just tell you what I did but no doubt you'll walk out with a new TV anyway........ god damn sales talks!! :lol: