Mark Hughes to rekindle QPR interest in Jelavic?

Grae

My link

QPR could be set to gazump London rivals West Ham in the chase for Rangers hitman Nikica Jelavic.

Record Sport understands the Loftus Road outfit are to step up their interest in the Croatia striker after new boss Mark Hughes identified his January transfer targets.

Jelavic had been on the radar of QPR's former boss Neil Warnock who was sacked last week.

And now Hughes is ready to pick up where his predecessor left off.

Jelavic and his advisers are aware of Hughes' interest and the player has made it clear he would prefer a move straight to the Premier League rather than chance his luck with a promotion chasing Championship side.

QPR know they need to come in with an offer in excess of £7million to bring Ibrox owner Craig Whyte to the table - but that figure has not frightened them off. Rangers boss Ally McCoist is desperate to hang on to Jelavic and made it clear neither West Ham manager Sam Allardyce nor Hughes will land the player on the cheap.

Informal talks have been held with West Ham but responding to reports they had tabled a £6m bid, McCoist said: "There haven't been any offers for him.

"I know Sam Allardyce well. If there was any real interest then Sam and I would be talking.

"I can certainly say Craig feels the £6m mentioned in a newspaper was well short."

Meanwhile, reports from England suggest 30-year-old Norwich striker Grant Holt is the man Rangers would want to replace Jelavic if he goes.

But the Premiership shock troops have said he's not for sale.

8 or 9 mill would represent very good business so long as Ally gets to spend around 6 mill - we should be able to pick up two talented replacements for around 3mill a piece

If this was to happen, and we got kirk out the door and jaager in, then i think we would have what it takes to be SPL champs again

8 or 9 mill would represent very good business so long as Ally gets to spend around 6 mill - we should be able to pick up two talented replacements for around 3mill a piece

If this was to happen, and we got kirk out the door and jaager in, then i think we would have what it takes to be SPL champs again

Very fair assessment. 6 mil would give us a great chance of adding quality up front to replace Jela and the chance to bring in quality in another area

Isn't that what we've come to expect though?

LOL, well yeah. When we have football interviews in scotland consisting of the interviewer painting the picture of the question (in technicolour crayon) then basically answering the question themselves waiting for confirmation from the interviewee what's new?

These people are not intelligent and are unable to do their job properly - it's been like this for years.

The sad fact is it's almost impossible to get a job as a football journalist, simply because it's jobs for the boys - the boys having the mental capacity of a 12 year old tweenies fan.

Look at all the lovely quotes from QPR....

The life of a football journo eh? 'Who shall we link him with today? Leverkusen? Porto?...fuck off with your original thinking, you're fired. Right, everybody happy with QPR? Cool...shall we go for a beer? It's 10:30am you say?'