Should the Rangers fans eventually own our club?

Do you think if that were the case appointing an ex manager/player our representative on the board is viable?

I don't think so. Most of them have more in common with the suits than with the rank and file support, simply because they need to mix in that company. There may be exceptions......like Bob 'FTP' Malcolm, but a lot of the bond between the fans and the players was lost when they stopped appearing at the RSC do's. :D

Didnt Chelsea not try to move to build a new stadium not long ago but were stopped by the fact the fans owned part of Stamford Bridge?

If we bought shares would it be in just Rangers or have a share of ground/training/etc?

It's the pitch. I think Ken Bates gifted it to a fans' group.

Edit:

Okay, looks like a bit more than the pitch ... it's the stadium freehold and the "fans" bought it, albeit with a loan from the club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners

or...

Should we just have a fans' representation on the board to keep things "transparent"?

or...

Should we be happy to let the supposed "millionaires" own Rangers?

What are the aspirations of RMers for Rangers in the long term?

My own view is that we, the fans, should eventually buy as much of the club as we can, elect proper fan representation to the board, and try to make sure that this is OUR club and can't be put in today's position ever again.

How we do it is something else entirely, but what are your opinions IN PRINCIPLE.

The sad thing is mate I do not want a fan to run/input to the way the club is run. I know that sounds shit but the heart will always rule the head. That is the last thing we need. Im very very very sad to say we nedd to look at the scum and model our money round what they do. We are bigger and better and when run correct they will fall further and further behind US.

The sad thing is mate I do not want a fan to run/input to the way the club is run. I know that sounds shit but the heart will always rule the head. That is the last thing we need. Im very very very sad to say we nedd to look at the scum and model our money round what they do. We are bigger and better and when run correct they will fall further and further behind US.

They are in debt, they do not own the stadium or the land surrounding it, and they have mortgaged off pedotown.

I am not convinced their model is as sustainable as they would like you to believe.

They are in debt, they do not own the stadium or the land surrounding it, and they have mortgaged off pedotown.

I am not convinced their model is as sustainable as they would like you to believe.

Im not going to get into a what we pay what they pay. You are correct that is the problem we should/are in a better asset situation than them. But our wage structure seems very flawed IMO. It was in the wage aspect i was sugesting we copy/compete with them.

Sooner fan ownership comes into play the better. Too many tycoons out there wanting to take over football clubs to attempt to make a quick buck. Nearly all German clubs are at least 50% fan owned and the model has worked well for them so don't see why it wouldn't work for us. I would rather any profit the club makes go into the club itself rather than a businessman's bank account.

Its near impossible to get three or four people to agree on any one subject on this site. Can you imagine the rammy at board meetings if there was fan ownership.

Fuck me nothing would get done.

No just one high heid yin with lots of money will do me.:beer1: :beer1:

Ideally we'd own it, but I don't think that realistically we have the finance for it.

Thing is the fans have paid for it several times over and, after Ticketus are done with us, we will have paid more than twice over in future sales just to see our club pay out to these pirates and bean counters. It saddens me all the more to think that the generous donations being made and even the wage cuts are, in the long term, not going to the club but to these scavenger bawbags.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

You can't run anything by committe, you one head honcho and that's it.

This is true but we are not talking about all the fans making every decision, the fans could vote key people in place every few years and vote them out again.

We've bought and paid for every seat in Ibrox, and ultimately no-one could do much worse than what has been done to the club already by these so-called business men.

or...

Should we just have a fans' representation on the board to keep things "transparent"?

or...

Should we be happy to let the supposed "millionaires" own Rangers?

What are the aspirations of RMers for Rangers in the long term?

My own view is that we, the fans, should eventually buy as much of the club as we can, elect proper fan representation to the board, and try to make sure that this is OUR club and can't be put in today's position ever again.

How we do it is something else entirely, but what are your opinions IN PRINCIPLE.

I was present at a meeting in the ibrox suite,about 3 years ago now,the guy from hamburg outlined the way his club was run by the fans,ever since it has been my dream to have such a set up at Rangers,roll on the day it happens.WATP

Complete fan ownership would be an unmitigated disaster, but having a representative on the board, if they were to be allowed a meaningful voice, would be a good idea.

I'm curious why you think this? Surely our first 'share issue' way back was an attempt at greater fan ownership and largely successful.

Times are quite different now but a club that only spends what it earns with employed professionals running it is surely an eminently plausible entity? The old PLC structure allowed for 'fan ownership' of course, some would argue we've always had fan ownership, questions about SDM's original loyalties aside. This subject gets muddied as people think it will mean everyone should get a vote on what goes on and as such nothing will ever be agreed, but it doesn't need to be like that surely. The single benevolent (or indeed aggressive or incompetent) ownership model, or indeed a small amount of large shareholders has not provan to be universally successful in the past.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

You can't run anything by committe, you one head honcho and that's it.

Hamburg are not run by committee Ace,they have three paid professionals to do the important jobs,

Appoint the Manager,set his budget etc,they own a mini bus which becomes a help point at every away game,their membership fee is 49e a year oh, and they have their own graveyard.WATP

I do beleive that fan ownership is a great idea but I struggle to see the practicalites of financing the team.

I think that many fans believe they will have a sya in the running of the club, make decisions of purchase of players ... even who should be in the team.

There will be a great misunderstanding of what fan ownership actually means.

It doesn't mean that I don't think its the right idea, our club should never be left to the whims & fancy of one lone infividual ever again but these is far greater work needed to convince me that fan ownership is nothing more than a fancy