Messi now a goal off FCB all-time mark

Shane

Great shout about that old bore Pele

He's a mean ol' cunt, ain't he? Not that he wudn't spectacular in every sense of the word, but he's more entranced with his mystique than anyone. Separates a lot of the greats, though: him, Jordan, Lewis, Ruth... couldn't say much a bad word about themselves if you had pics of them smacking a small child about the head.

Remember that guy in your pub league who kept a tally of all his goals..?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another hat trick tonight from the wee genius ?

He scores goals against ANY opposition...........

Once again with the Madrid glasses on . You talk some pish , he has ripped Madrid apart so many times in the past and at the ripe old age of 24 , will do it many times again in the future .Less of the pish and enjoy him while he's playing ..........

Like i said , you talk some pish Have a look at the stats .........

and the shite team he scored 5 against just beat Bayern Munich the week before .

Keep it up daftie , you don't even realise how stupid your remarks are .8 pm tonight , look and learn ............

c190a1d1-ffb5-43fd-a390-32667b3e5a1a.jpg

:lol:

He's a mean ol' cunt, ain't he? Not that he wudn't spectacular in every sense of the word, but he's more entranced with his mystique than anyone. Separates a lot of the greats, though: him, Jordan, Lewis, Ruth... couldn't say much a bad word about themselves if you had pics of them smacking a small child about the head.

It is funny that Maradona, who we normally think of as being the archetypal flawed footballer, who is incredibly arrogant and outspoken, and who is worshipped like a god by his countrymen, he is perfectly happy to admit that Messi might be better than him. But Pele, no. The idea terrifies Pele.

It is funny that Maradona, who we normally think of as being the archetypal flawed footballer, who is incredibly arrogant and outspoken, and who is worshipped like a god by his countrymen, he is perfectly happy to admit that Messi might be better than him. But Pele, no. The idea terrifies Pele.

Part of what made him so great, surely. Watch videos of Jordan now facing up kids half his age and playing like it's the '98 Finals against the Jazz all over again... probably not the worst complex to have for a professional athlete.

RE: Fat Ronaldo. That man was incredible, on the shortlist as far as I'm concerned. Even carrying a couple hot dog carts under his kit he could still make world class defenders look ridiculous.

And not widely respected in Brazil because of his friendship with the military in the 70s.Btw Garrincha was better in the opinion of most Brazillians I have shared a drink with

And not widely respected in Brazil because of his friendship with the military in the 70s.Btw Garrincha was better in the opinion of most Brazillians I have shared a drink with

You listen to Vickery talk about Garrincha and it's a different level of reverence altogether from Pele.

messi, maradona, best, pele in that order.pele played all his career in the brazilian league apart from a spell in america.maradona turned it in for napoli and barca.best suffered because he played for a poor international team but the wee man does it every time in the biggest football tournament in the world.the greatest player ever in my opinion

Part of what made him so great, surely. Watch videos of Jordan now facing up kids half his age and playing like it's the '98 Finals against the Jazz all over again... probably not the worst complex to have for a professional athlete.

No. Wanting to be better than your contemporaries is one thing, that's going to be an incentive to work harder. When you're an impotent pensioner desperately trying to convince people you're still the greatest and always will be, that's just sad. Cruyff, Platini, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Maradona, these are all content to praise Messi to the heavens, but not Pele.

No. Wanting to be better than your contemporaries is one thing, that's going to be an incentive to work harder. When you're an impotent pensioner desperately trying to convince people you're still the greatest and always will be, that's just sad. Cruyff, Platini, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Maradona, these are all content to praise Messi to the heavens, but not Pele.

I'm just saying, the same attitude that makes him a crotchety old cunt now is what made him a great player then. Some just can't turn it off.

Ruth? Not in the same league as Ty Cobb.

Pele's the establishment figure. I remember the huge fuss that Fifa kicked up when those silly voters picked Maradona ahead of him in that "greatest player of the century" poll ... ended up making it a two winner contest, one voted by the people (Maradona) and one by hand-picked "experts" (Pele).

Ty Cobb is easily the greatest baseball player ever ... it's not even open to debate.

I've already let Ricky wind me up today, not going through this again.

Cobb's not even the best player at his position. I'll have a baseball discussion via PM's if you want but that's it.

I've already let Ricky wind me up today, not going through this again.

Cobb's not even the best player at his position. I'll have a baseball discussion via PM's if you want but that's it.

To be honest, baseball isn't my thing. Ty Cobb is about the only player that I know in any detail. A very interesting character, although thoroughly distasteful in almost every sense.

To be honest, baseball isn't my thing. Ty Cobb is about the only player that I know in any detail. A very interesting character, although thoroughly distasteful in almost every sense.

Probably more good books about him than any other player in baseball history. Don't think he was any worse than 99% of people raised under similar circumstances. Not an excuse, just what it is. Very insecure man, and he let those insecurities show in some of the nastiest ways possible, on and off the field. But the man could hit a baseball and run like the wind.

Probably more good books about him than any other player in baseball history. Don't think he was any worse than 99% of people raised under similar circumstances. Not an excuse, just what it is. Very insecure man, and he let those insecurities show in some of the nastiest ways possible, on and off the field. But the man could hit a baseball and run like the wind.

And make money. Think he was the first millionaire sportsman, thanks mainly to astute investments, including what was then a small soft drinks company in his native Georgia ... The Coca-Cola Company. As you say, he was probably no worse than anyone raised in similar circumstances and he did seem to go out of his way to hide some very noble acts. It's as if he gloried in his notoriety and being unpopular.

Delightful finish to equal the record.

Remembered to pull up the ESPN3 stream just in time to see it. Gave him all the space/time/keeper stood down completely to let him score. Also, Thiago just took a shit first touch on a thru-ball from Messi. Obviously the Argentine's fault for not drawing a little yellow circle on the pitch where the ball was going to be played to.

I'd still go with Maradona. I guess in part it's because he was dominant in "my era". But he also inspired a good Argentine team to become world champions. However, as remarkable as his performances in Mexico were, I think taking a poor Argentine team to the final four years later in Italy was just as remarkable. Aside from his incomparable skills, Maradona seemed able to inspire his team mates in a way no other great player has. Messi has played in far superior Argentine teams and achieved nothing of note.

I'd still go with Maradona. I guess in part it's because he was dominant in "my era". But he also inspired a good Argentine team to become world champions. However, as remarkable as his performances in Mexico were, I think taking a poor Argentine team to the final four years later in Italy was just as remarkable. Aside from his incomparable skills, Maradona seemed able to inspire his team mates in a way no other great player has. Messi has played in far superior Argentine teams and achieved nothing of note.

I guess part of my rationale is that I hold the Euros and the modern Champions League, especially the knockout rounds, in higher regard than the World Cup. Plus I feel there is an intrinsic upward shift in the quality of nearly all sports, that they are played at a higher level by ever better players now than in the past, and unless one player (eg-Ruth) has established himself as far and away the greatest player to ever play his game then the debate is almost constantly open.

That said, the Champions League now is the meeting ground for the vast majority of the best players in the world, and the leagues those teams/players represent fill out most of the rest of the field. Saying the same for the World Cup as it exists now is almost laughable.