Messi now a goal off FCB all-time mark

Shane

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess part of my rationale is that I hold the Euros and the modern Champions League, especially the knockout rounds, in higher regard than the World Cup. Plus I feel there is an intrinsic upward shift in the quality of nearly all sports, that they are played at a higher level by ever better players now than in the past, and unless one player (eg-Ruth) has established himself as far and away the greatest player to ever play his game then the debate is almost constantly open.

That said, the Champions League now is the meeting ground for the vast majority of the best players in the world, and the leagues those teams/players represent fill out most of the rest of the field. Saying the same for the World Cup as it exists now is almost laughable.

You regard the European Championship higher than the World Cup? <cr>

I guess part of my rationale is that I hold the Euros and the modern Champions League, especially the knockout rounds, in higher regard than the World Cup. Plus I feel there is an intrinsic upward shift in the quality of nearly all sports, that they are played at a higher level by ever better players now than in the past, and unless one player (eg-Ruth) has established himself as far and away the greatest player to ever play his game then the debate is almost constantly open.

That said, the Champions League now is the meeting ground for the vast majority of the best players in the world, and the leagues those teams/players represent fill out most of the rest of the field. Saying the same for the World Cup as it exists now is almost laughable.

Obviously you can't put past players into the modern game. That's what makes it difficult to compare eras. But if a Maradona or a di Stefano were in their prime now they'd have the same physical attributes as modern players. They'd be physically fitter and faster. They'd be on the strict diet regimes of the modern game.

You regard the European Championship higher than the World Cup? <cr>

It's a better competition at 16 teams, so yeah. The 32 team World Cup is a diluted field, and outside the South American sides who would you say is a team that could consistently compete in the Euros?

There's way too many crap teams in the World Cup now, thanks to Blatter's insistence that everyone gets a ride and a little plastic trophy to take home for the mantle. The expansion of the European Championships is the worst thing UEFA could've done to the tournament. It was nearly perfect as it was.

It's a better competition at 16 teams, so yeah. The 32 team World Cup is a diluted field, and outside the South American sides who would you say is a team that could consistently compete in the Euros?

There's way too many crap teams in the World Cup now, thanks to Blatter's insistence that everyone gets a ride and a little plastic trophy to take home for the mantle. The expansion of the European Championships is the worst thing UEFA could've done to the tournament. It was nearly perfect as it was.

Regarding a tournament that includes only European countries above one that includes them plus Brazil/Argentina/Japan/South Korea/Columbia/Basically all of South America/Mexico/USA..

Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Regarding a tournament that includes only European countries above one that includes them plus Brazil/Argentina/Japan/South Korea/Columbia/Basically all of South America/Mexico/USA..

Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Because outside Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, none of them have ever threatened to win a tournament. The World Cup has more esteem to it, deservedly so, but the Euros are usually a better tournament as a spectator.

Because outside Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, none of them have ever threatened to win a tournament. The World Cup has more esteem to it, deservedly so, but the Euros are usually a better tournament as a spectator.

But even if just for those teams, surely it makes the feat of winning the World Cup more impressive?

But even if just for those teams, surely it makes the feat of winning the World Cup more impressive?

That's fair, yeah. May concede the World Cup v Euro argument, but the Champions League is the best collection of talent in a single competition. Messi dominates it like none other.

1a/1b in my little book. Zidane was easily my favorite player to watch growing up.

I know I'm going to get if for this but ... I always preferred Djorkaeff. Of that era I thought Pavel Nedved was the best player overall.