Bosses of The Old Firm

Just started watching the first 4 games on this and it got me thinking of a lot of things:

1) Seasons 1999-2000 & 2001, are the Season I first got my season ticket at 11yrs old. I always remember these seasons and think how much I loved they sides and how when we scored we played that fantastic european tune after everygoal. Grew up singing that as I played with ma mates in the street :lol:

2) Having grow up with all that talent, I just expected to have a team that challenged in europe and dominated the SPL 4 goals a game etc...

3) Hate how its called the OLD FIRM 'Shame Game'. We didn't do fuck all wrong, 1 guy sent off for reacting for a fucking ridiculous tackle anyway by Riseth. Also when McCann scores the 3rd it pans into our crowd, and I always remember the long haired guy with a cream american jumper on going tonto :lol: Brilliant.

4) How good the atmosphere everysingle game was back then, umpteen times you hear the Billy Boys and even the filth going for it aswell, miss they days.

5) How good players that I thought where average at the time, guys like Johanssen, Vidmar, McCann, Reyna, Porrini etc... Just because I was young they where overshadowed by bigger names. They would walk the SPL now.

6) I'd loved to have seen more of Amato. So skillful. What happened with him he didn't play as often as I felt he should have...

7)Lastly, a controvercial one, Mark Viduka absolutley bullied Big Amo in the 3 games I've watched so far, he was a great player although back then I didn't think he was all that good.

Anyways as I watch more I'll post any thoughts in here, I fucking LOVE Jorg Albertz. He sums up my childhood watching Rangers and I genuinely miss him more than any other.

Sorry for the long post :crabflute:

No need to apologise for the length mate. An excellent post. We have been lucky throughout the years to have some top class players (and men) pull on our famous jersey. I can feel your emotion (and pride) in your words. I first started going to matches back in the early 60's and saw Baxter, Henderson, Greig .. all in their prime. I knew they were good'... But I am certain I never appreciated them the way I should have.

What you say is very true.. We sometimes don't appreciate how good some players are until long after.

00000042.gif

In hindsight, that period caused the majority of the problems we are in nowadays.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing however and I like yourself was growing up around that time and loved every single minute of it, some my favourite memories where from that era. From the Old Firm games to the magical European nights, the best football I've seen from any Rangers sides' and probably the best I'll ever see.

I'd love us to return to that era, but unless some mad billionaire comes in and take us over it'll never happen again. Well while we stay in this Scottish football climate at least.

Always remember beating Celtic 5-1 at Ibrox after they beat us 6-2 at the Piggery, what a day that was.

In hindsight, that period caused the majority of the problems we are in nowadays.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing however and I like yourself was growing up around that time and loved every single minute of it, some my favourite memories where from that era. From the Old Firm games to the magical European nights, the best football I've seen from any Rangers sides' and probably the best I'll ever see.

I'd love us to return to that era, but unless some mad billionaire comes in and take us over it'll never happen again. Well while we stay in this Scottish football climate at least.

Always remember beating Celtic 5-1 at Ibrox after they beat us 6-2 at the Piggery, what a day that was.

Good point... During that period though, I -- like many others I suspect -- didn't even think about the money being spent. It just felt so good. I thought Murray was just spending petty cash basically. Little did I know... But we were graced with some true world class players.

Thing is.. these are great memories...but the cost was too high imho. Well, that's obvious now. But back then? Did anyone really care?

To be honest, it wasn't being succesful that made that time enjoyable for me. It was just being at Ibrox and the atmosphere and starting to build a rapport for the players at that time.

The 5-1 game was my first ever old firm game, and it was immense. Being so high up in the club deck and my dad lifting me up anytime we scored I was always shiting maself :lol:

Looking back, having the chance to see all those players and thinking to the consequences we are dealing with now, I don't think any fan would swap those memories...

Just started watching the first 4 games on this and it got me thinking of a lot of things:

1) Seasons 1999-2000 & 2001, are the Season I first got my season ticket at 11yrs old. I always remember these seasons and think how much I loved they sides and how when we scored we played that fantastic european tune after everygoal. Grew up singing that as I played with ma mates in the street :lol:

2) Having grow up with all that talent, I just expected to have a team that challenged in europe and dominated the SPL 4 goals a game etc...

3) Hate how its called the OLD FIRM 'Shame Game'. We didn't do fuck all wrong, 1 guy sent off for reacting for a fucking ridiculous tackle anyway by Riseth. Also when McCann scores the 3rd it pans into our crowd, and I always remember the long haired guy with a cream american jumper on going tonto :lol: Brilliant.

4) How good the atmosphere everysingle game was back then, umpteen times you hear the Billy Boys and even the filth going for it aswell, miss they days.

5) How good players that I thought where average at the time, guys like Johanssen, Vidmar, McCann, Reyna, Porrini etc... Just because I was young they where overshadowed by bigger names. They would walk the SPL now.

6) I'd loved to have seen more of Amato. So skillful. What happened with him he didn't play as often as I felt he should have...

7)Lastly, a controvercial one, Mark Viduka absolutley bullied Big Amo in the 3 games I've watched so far, he was a great player although back then I didn't think he was all that good.

Anyways as I watch more I'll post any thoughts in here, I fucking LOVE Jorg Albertz. He sums up my childhood watching Rangers and I genuinely miss him more than any other.

Sorry for the long post :crabflute:

Good post mate but I'd disagree with the Amo getting bullied part .In all my years of watching Gers Big Amo was never bossed by and one player .Sure he had bad games ,Sure he made many errors but this man bossed any player 3out of 4 times .In 2002 cup final he went into game injured and big Balde got better of him couple of times but against Sutton ,Larrson and Balde to win that Final 10years ago was one of the best day and feelings of my life and Amo amongst others were GIANTS .thats why we won treble following season

Good point... During that period though, I -- like many others I suspect -- didn't even think about the money being spent. It just felt so good. I thought Murray was just spending petty cash basically. Little did I know... But we were graced with some true world class players.

Thing is.. these are great memories...but the cost was too high imho. Well, that's obvious now. But back then? Did anyone really care?

:lol: Scary to think we posted these at the same time.

No need to apologise for the length mate. An excellent post. We have been lucky throughout the years to have some top class players (and men) pull on our famous jersey. I can feel your emotion (and pride) in your words. I first started going to matches back in the early 60's and saw Baxter, Henderson, Greig .. all in their prime. I knew they were good'... But I am certain I never appreciated them the way I should have.

What you say is very true.. We sometimes don't appreciate how good some players are until long after.

00000042.gif

So true, although I'm too young too appreciate the older players its fantastic to hear guys like yourself talk about them. I find it hard to comprehend that we had players like Baxter who where genuinely considered world class at the time.

w

:lol: Scary to think we posted these at the same time.

Great minds think alike!!!!!

It's a great question though... Would you swap the memories for an avoidance of these troubles today? I don't think I would. We will fight through this and emerge stronger. What has happened to us is unforgivable, but we are where we are. 00000042.gif

DP

Which one????? :shifty:

It's a great question though... Would you swap the memories for an avoidance of these troubles today? I don't think I would. We will fight through this and emerge stronger. What has happened to us is unforgivable, but we are where we are. 00000042.gif

Thats a really hard question and i really couldnt say if i would or not, i think with all matters of hindsight its hard to know until you see the consquences, i want my club to be safe first and then i want us to smash our enemys with everything we have. We will always be The Rangers and we will always be the best, in heart in soul and in glory :praise:

To be honest, it wasn't being succesful that made that time enjoyable for me. It was just being at Ibrox and the atmosphere and starting to build a rapport for the players at that time.

The 5-1 game was my first ever old firm game, and it was immense. Being so high up in the club deck and my dad lifting me up anytime we scored I was always shiting maself :lol:

Looking back, having the chance to see all those players and thinking to the consequences we are dealing with now, I don't think any fan would swap those memories...

Our support at that time and well the Old Firm in general was second to none IMO, Scottish football as a whole aswell was having a boom period.

The support that night against Parma! :drool:

I always remember the 5-1 game obviously, meant so much more because of the 6-2 earlier in the season was what I was trying to get at.

I think he means which 5-1 game. Because we beat them 5-1 twice in quick succession. I was wondering which one too, I meant the one where albertz scored an overhead kick into an open goal, and gio curled a beaut in from the edge of the box.

But there was also the Flo debut game aswell, Amo, De Boer, Flo, Ferguson... Infact did that finish 4-1? Lol

So true, although I'm too young too appreciate the older players its fantastic to hear guys like yourself talk about them. I find it hard to comprehend that we had players like Baxter who where genuinely considered world class at the time.

w

There's a great quote from Pele himself

I wish Jim Baxter had been born a Brazilian

Pele believed that Slim Jim was on the same level as himself....

Great Baxter video...

I think most fans at the time though the money we where spending was Murrays not the banks, so could afford it. If we knew the truth then some would say cut back while others would want to chase the dream. If we got reasonably succesful in Europe, which IMO we would have done if we had of beat Bayern then I'd say it would have been worth it. But since we didn't, then we don't really have much to show for all the money we spent. Just memories, which will do for me. So aslong as my grnadchilden and great grandchildren can say the same then that would do me.

its a poor thing to say if your a genuine bear mate to say that this period caused our problems nowadays.

Thats down to 2 men but nothing to do with results then

Mind he scored in the 4-2 game at ibrox, think we were getting beat in that game at 1 point, and he did the "arrow" celebration.

Fucking loved that game. Chicken tonight was playing too, cunt.

Said it before on here - Amato - more skill in his wee toe than the rest of the current squad combined (shame it wasn't exploited to its full potential) - and yes the "arrow" or now "bolt" celebration was well deserved - Amato - I still salute your skill sir!!! (I was there at the game you refer to)

and last but not least

I think he means which 5-1 game. Because we beat them 5-1 twice in quick succession. I was wondering which one too, I meant the one where albertz scored an overhead kick into an open goal, and gio curled a beaut in from the edge of the box.

But there was also the Flo debut game aswell, Amo, De Boer, Flo, Ferguson... Infact did that finish 4-1? Lol

I'm definitely talking about the 5-1 game, Flo's debut.

Think the one your talking about we won 4-0, Amato rounded the keeper?