1992 - Sporting integrity

What happened in 1992 which saw Marseille's champions league title spared? Why were they stripped of their domestic title but not their european one since they were found bribing teams for goal difference to get to the final?

Yet, now we are getting accused of things yet to be proven and people are calling for our titles to be stripped?

Does my nut in. Can anyone clear up the 1992 issue, never really found out (or have been able to find out) why Marseille kept their title and why we didn't at least get a runners-up honors

From what I remember. They paid opposition teams to pay weak teams, someone could correct me

Yeah think I remember hearing Hateley say he was offered money to be 'injured', or am I making that up?

Marseilles tried to bribe Hateley not to play against them but he politely told them to fuck off. Unfortunately they managed to get to Brugges as well, remember Hateley's shocking red card? And there is no way CSKA were bad enough to lose 6-0. Corruption at its worst. Maybe big Boli spilt the beans when he was steamin one night.

We would have done Milan that year, they were there for the taking as the French proved.

As Boli proved. Marseilles were decent though; Barthez, Angloma, Boli, Desailly, Deschamps, Pele, Boksic, Voeller.

As much as I hate them I still laugh at the commentary: "Its a goal for Marseilles....Its Frank Sauzeeeee"

Marseilles were decent but they couldn`t beat us and we had Presley and McSweegan ! they were match fixing in their own league and uefa knew about it before the final but chose not to kick them out. The russians thought they had their food poisoned before they played them as well.hence the 6-0 game.

What happened in 1992 which saw Marseille's champions league title spared? Why were they stripped of their domestic title but not their european one since they were found bribing teams for goal difference to get to the final?

Yet, now we are getting accused of things yet to be proven and people are calling for our titles to be stripped?

Does my nut in. Can anyone clear up the 1992 issue, never really found out (or have been able to find out) why Marseille kept their title and why we didn't at least get a runners-up honors

they were convicted of bribery during french leagues games, but unfortunately nothing could be proven about them fixing European games.

l'OM paid teams to lay down coming down the stretch of old Division 1 so they could concentrate on the CL. And it was the '93 final. They kept their title because UEFA is run by frogs.

l'OM paid teams to lay down coming down the stretch of old Division 1 so they could concentrate on the CL. And it was the '93 final. They kept their title because UEFA is run by frogs.

Interesting isn't it? The only French team to win the CL and it's surrounded by controversy. You don't have to wear a tin hat to think there was a conspiracy here

I don't believe anything was ever proven with regards the CL hence they kept the title.

It's probably important to note that Marseille were better than us. They played us off the park at Ibrox although we did very well to get a draw.

I believe in a one off game we could've beaten Milan or Marseille but they were better than us overall. There's no shame in that, just the reality of the situation. Let's not build up a Timothy-esque mythology around it.

Marseille cheated in the French league (which they were stripped of).

They never cheated in the European Cup, so UEFA couldn't strip them of that.

They could not prove they cheated, that is different from them not actually cheating.

My dad told me he read that too

Andy Goram spoke about this at an after dinner event. Says he doesnt doubt Hateley at all and why would he lie about it anyway. Hateley and McCoist probably scared the shit out them. Goram also said something I thought was mental - Dale Gordon played 55 (I think) times for Rangers and was never in the losing side.

They paid off people in their league to lay down in order to concentrate on the CL and make sure their players were healthy. If that's not cheating a European competition, I don't know what is.

From what I remember. They paid opposition teams to pay weak teams, someone could correct me

If I remember correctly, it was something like you say.

I think I can remember at the time they had been paying the better players of some teams money to declare they were injured or unfit to play, thereby weakening their teams chances of winning.

I think Whittaker has been on a similar deal tae let every fuckin winger in Scotland skin um..................................................................:sherlock:

I don't believe anything was ever proven with regards the CL hence they kept the title.

It's probably important to note that Marseille were better than us. They played us off the park at Ibrox although we did very well to get a draw.

I believe in a one off game we could've beaten Milan or Marseille but they were better than us overall. There's no shame in that, just the reality of the situation. Let's not build up a Timothy-esque mythology around it.

My tits!! Second half we were brilliant & should have won. Think we actually gave them too much respect in the 1st half, then we got a kick up the arse at half time.

Surely it would have been nice for them to prove that on a level playing field rather than on one where they are giving their opponents food poisoning

Mark Hateley: I was offered cash to pull out of Rangers v Marseille Champions League clash

Feb 23 2011

RANGERS legend Mark Hateley claims he was offered a bribe to pull out of the Ibrox side's famous Champions League clash against Marseille in 1993.

The two teams met in the group stages of the competition, whose format at that time saw the winner of two groups of four qualify directly for the final.

With the Scottish and French champions vying for a place in the final Hateley claims he was offered "large sums of cash" not to play in the penultimate group match in France - an offer he says he turned down.

In the end the English striker was suspended for the match anyway, after picking up a red card in the prior fixture against Club Brugge.

Rangers went on to draw 1-1 in Marseille minus Hateley and missed out on the prestigious final, which the French side won 1-0 against AC Milan.

But in an interview which will be broadcast on ITV this evening, Hateley said: "It was a friend of a friend, who had got in touch via certain routes, basically asking me not to play.

"It would be financially rewarding for you, he said, should I not play in the Marseille game.

"He was not an agent I knew, but another agent had given him the number. It was a French-speaking person, offering me large sums of money not to play against Marseille.

"It points the finger at a person, or persons, working within that club not wanting me to play."

Marseille won the domestic league in the same season but were stripped of their title following match-fixing allegations against their former owner, Bernard Tapie.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/2011/02/23/mark-hateley-i-was-offered-cash-to-pull-out-of-rangers-v-marseille-champions-league-clash-86908-22943429/