Rangers Total Football?

DEXYSC

I thought the first season under Advocat was some of the best football we played in years, I think he just brought too many Dutch in after that and it unsettled the team.

But I do agree that this is the best chance weve ever had to get us playing a more entertaining style of football. Because we will get away with things we wouldnt get away with at a higher level, so its the perfect time to do it.

And I know there is great momentum and support for the team just now, but there is some shitty games going to be coming up over the winter, and it will be a lot easier to keep the fans showing up on cold wet winters days and nights, if theyre enjoying what theyre seeing. :superally:

Aye, you obviously saw us in the early 60s and before. If you read the words of Bill Struth properly you will see that nowhere do they say lump the ball up the park, be scared of Brechin or any team for that matter, and never make a chance from a free-kick or corner. Turgid is the word for the way we play. Like it or not, but football IS part of the entertainment business. On a cold Januray night people are expected to go and see Rangers and speak about a lot more than a cagey draw with the likes of Peterhead.

Well being born in 85 you're right I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Rangers in the 60's. All I was trying to say was, Rangers WIN. That's all that matters to me. If we play 'Total Football', beautiful football then all the better. If we had played like Barca and drawn 2-2 with Peterhead would that be acceptable? Yes I'd love the World to say we play the best football. But, we have to remember this is Div3/Div2. And the be-all and end-all is Rangers promotion by any means necessary. IMO

When advoccat was in charge and the team full off dutch players we could not play "total football" so what chance do we have now ? :crabflute:

Advocaat had us playing some really nice football. I'm sure he would be having a heart attack moment if he saw how we play now.

I don't have any confidence that Ally has a football vision to take us forward. There has been no evidence that he knows what he is doing. I live in hope...

I was pleasantly surprised by the movement,tempo and passing performance against East Fife then absolutely disappointed and depressed by the outdated turgid tactics against Peterhead.Will we play the correct way at home and the hit and hope away?

Away game mentality that Ally has shown since he took over.

I've been arguing on another forum that a 3-4-3/3-5-2 can be adapted just as easily as a 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1. When defending we can take the form of a 4-1-4-1, but whilst on the attack (as we should be this season) we can advance into a 3-4-3

Example:

Alexander

Broadfoot Goian Bocanegra Wallace

Black

Little Hutton Shiels McKay

Sandaza

Turns to

Alexander

Broadfoot Goian Bocanegra

Little Black Hutton Wallace

Shiels Sandaza McKay

(Okay, admittedly I underestimated the players at our disposal, but you get the idea) I'd love us to play a passing game where players can rotate throughout the game, but we really need more bodies, some full backs for example.

To build from the back and pass through midfield you need movement upfront - McKay and Little, yes, Lyle and Sandaza,no. Midfield needs to be comfy on the ball and pick a pass- definitely and we have that bit of grit you need in there as well. Defence needs to able to play the ball and not just go to default and lump it. Wallace is ideal but the other 3 were poor against Peterhead and didn't look capable of this style of football. They looked too slow as well and not reading the game. May just be rustiness, but the defence is key.

Well being born in 85 you're right I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Rangers in the 60's. All I was trying to say was, Rangers WIN. That's all that matters to me. If we play 'Total Football', beautiful football then all the better. If we had played like Barca and drawn 2-2 with Peterhead would that be acceptable? Yes I'd love the World to say we play the best football. But, we have to remember this is Div3/Div2. And the be-all and end-all is Rangers promotion by any means necessary. IMO

I didn't see the 60s team either, but I know enough by now to know they played with a fair bit of style. Rangers don't have to play '"total"-football', but I don't think it is asking for much that professional footballer should be able to be very technical on the ball. Our players are not as technical with the ball as they should be.