First Rangers Game?

macranger

Now that I've started taking my 8 year old son to the games, it just made me think of how the world has changed since my first Rangers game. I still remember it. Me & 2 of my schoolmates, all of us only 10 years old, jumped on the camelon bus & went to the game against Clydebank in 1977/78 I always remember the year, because it was the first panini album I collected stickers for. Bought some stickers that morning & got a Rangers sticker in it. Back in the day when one sticker was actually 2, with a player on each half. Stuck them on the front of my tammy. We stood down the front of the old copeland terracing & got soaking wet. Can't believe we did that at only 10 years old. How things change.

My first game was a Scottish Cup 4TH round tie at Ibrox 1977 against Elgin City (3-0). biggrin.gif The thing that has stuck in my memory to this day (apart from sitting outside, i think it was the Stadium Bar waiting for my brother-in-law to top up before going into the ground) was walking up to the top of the stairs at Ibrox and lifting my head to see that magnificent playing surface and near empty beautiful stadium. wooden benches it may have been in the old Govan, skelfs in the arse a plenty but my god what an awsome, awsome sight that was. The image, when I looked up, is still etched firmly in my memory and it's still as clear as the day it occurred.

GlasgowRangersvElginCity.jpg

My dad took me to games from very young so can't remember my first actual game, but the earliest one I can clearly picture was Duncan Ferguson sticking his napper into some Raith Rovers player.

I generally just wanted to see Super Ally at that age, but that caught my attention!