Getting the monkey off our back

eosmhdo

:matron: i think it stems from a time when cavemen used to have monkeys climing on their backs to pick insects and suchlike out of the cavemans hair and this made hunting very difficult for the cavemen, so when the monkeys finaly ate all the bugs up and went somewhere else it made life alot easier, hence get the monkey off your back :pipe:

:matron: i think it stems from a time when cavemen used to have monkeys climing on their backs to pick insects and suchlike out of the cavemans hair and this made hunting very difficult for the cavemen, so when the monkeys finaly ate all the bugs up and went somewhere else it made life alot easier, hence get the monkey off your back :pipe:

It's not just the elephants that's stoned me thinks lol

Brilliant!! I almost thought you were serious there for a minute :craphead:

:lol: :lol: perhaps the elephants got a cheeky monkey on his back too :sherlock:

I actually started believing your version initially then thought, hold on this is total cock ha ha.

It is the only answer so far so it is credible for that you must be congratulated mate.

I actually started believing your version initially then thought, hold on this is total cock ha ha.

It is the only answer so far so it is credible for that you must be congratulated mate.

To be fair, it's actually far more convincing than the main google-resultant thoeries about 60s drug use, and is a sign of a wonderfully fecund imagination

So what's your take on "got a lion in my pocket"?

Perhaps it comes from the popular chocolate lion bar, where young ladys would ask their lover 'is that a lion in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?' :)

Is that a lion - no it's a tellin' the truth.

I'll get me coat - fuck where did that lion come from??

I always thought it came from the same root as “cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey”. The brass monkey in question being a brass triangle that held cannon balls in place and in freezing weather the brass would shrink and the cannon balls would fall off and start rolling around the deck of the ship. Running around the ship (doing laps) with the Brass Monkey on your back was a navel (on board ship) punishment, so getting the monkey off your back meant the punishment was finished.

Derives from the clingy nature of a monkey I believe, so some one with a monkey on their back is carrying a burden, brass monkey is believed to have been the term for the holder for cannon balls, in cold weather it would contract, the balls would no longer fit and fall off,

More useless info....

Derives from the clingy nature of a monkey I believe, so some one with a monkey on their back is carrying a burden, brass monkey is believed to have been the term for the holder for cannon balls, in cold weather it would contract, the balls would no longer fit and fall off,

More useless info....

Keep it coming, i feel a 20 pager here :D