Wifi Range Extender or Powerline Adapters?

FlippinEck

Having a bit of trouble getting wifi signal to reach bedroom from downstairs where the new sky hub is. Looking at either a Wifi Range extender (which would improve livingroom upstairs too as have Galaxy Tab, mobiles connected) or Powerline Adapters (one for bedroom for the xbox and one for PC in livingroom).

Anyone got either or tried both and have any idea what would be best? Doing a bit of research online and its almost split down the middle. The Wifi Range extender would obviously mean all wireless devices can be connected better as I am limited to one device per PL adapter. I would rather have the xbox wired up through adapter though.

WiFi range extenders can have a bit of lag so if you were wanting to play Xbox online I would go for the power line adapter which creates a wired connection through your existing electrical cables. Or for the best of both worlds get one of the power line extenders like this

http://www.ebuyer.com/322016-tp-link-wpa281-200mbps-wireless-n-powerline-extender-wpa281

This would let you hard wire the Xbox with an Ethernet cable but also acts like an extra router for any other wireless devices.

Power line adapters work in pairs so you would need one plugged in near your original router to transmit the signal into the electrical wires. There is no point getting an extender for that though so as cheaper one will do like this

http://www.ebuyer.com/263576-tp-link-200mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-single-tl-pa211

If you decide to buy go for at least the 200Mb versions. The older 85Mbs are a bit phased out now.

Having a bit of trouble getting wifi signal to reach bedroom from downstairs where the new sky hub is. Looking at either a Wifi Range extender (which would improve livingroom upstairs too as have Galaxy Tab, mobiles connected) or Powerline Adapters (one for bedroom for the xbox and one for PC in livingroom).

Anyone got either or tried both and have any idea what would be best? Doing a bit of research online and its almost split down the middle. The Wifi Range extender would obviously mean all wireless devices can be connected better as I am limited to one device per PL adapter. I would rather have the xbox wired up through adapter though.

Maplan have a sale on for both the Powerline Adapters £59.99 down to £49.99 and a second one for £9.99 and Range Extender £69.99 for £59.99

Maplan have a sale on for both the Powerline Adapters £59.99 down to £49.99 and a second one for £9.99 and Range Extender £69.99 for £59.99

Cheers bud, had a look around and opted for a pair of TP-Link Powerline Adapters

• 1 month later...