Di Canio Considering His Swindon Future.

caseyjones

Good to see a manager having the balls to tell the fans that the directors are making a rip-roaring cunt of it. Too many are more interested in keeping their nice salary and position of power.

Paolo Di Canio is considering his future as Swindon manager after a whirlwind week at the club.

In a statement, the Italian claimed the club – who announced a takeover subject to Football League approval on Wednesday night – sold influential winger Matt Ritchie to League One promotion rivals Bournemouth behind his back.

The statement read: "It is with great regret that I issue this statement but, unfortunately, the events of the last few days have left me with no alternative other than to consider my position and explain the reasons why.

"We were assured that Matt Ritchie was going nowhere and money would be made available for the squad to be strengthened. Within an hour I received a phone call from Matt Ritchie telling me that the club had agreed to sell him and he was in the process of agreeing personal terms.

"I regard this as a clear breach of my contract with the club and, moreover, a clear attempt to undermine my position not withstanding the success we have achieved in the last 18 months. Matt Ritchie was sold behind my back.

"If it wasn't for the players and fans of Swindon Town, I would have walked away from this club a long time ago. I didn't because I was given repeated assurances that the project to achieve success was always in place and I wanted to deliver this for the players, staff and most of all, the fans of this great club.

"I am forced to consider my future as I don't know how I can continue to work in this environment. Too many questions remain unanswered. The future is clouded with uncertainty. At this moment of time my future remains unclear."

Di Canio, 44, was appointed as Swindon manager in May 2011 and led the team to promotion from League Two as champions last season.

The former West Ham, Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday forward has steered his team into promotion contention again in this campaign, with Swindon currently third in League One.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/swindon-town/9843545/Paolo-Di-Canio-considering-his-future-as-Swindon-Town-manager.html

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing from the board to refute the manager's accusations.

The Swindon Town board have this evening responded to the statement issued by Paolo Di Canio earlier this evening.

The Robins' statement, posted on the club's official website, read: "Following Paolo Di Canio's comments earlier today, the Board wishes to assure fans that it continues to work towards the sale of the Club and the ensuring of its long term future.

"The last few days have been extremely demanding given the combination of significant on-going losses, a closing transfer window and the disappointment of not bringing in the loan  players as we had wished.

"The Board expects to complete the sale of the Club next week and are confident that the new owners share the same ambitions as Paolo and his team. The decisions made over the course of the last few days have not been made lightly, and in the case of the decision to sell Matt Ritchie, have been done in conjunction with the new owners.

"Whilst the Board understands Paolo's desire to gain promotion and is wholly supportive of this, the Board's considerations and responsibilities extend beyond the on field activities of the team. On some occasions it is faced with difficult choices and whilst we recognise the disappointment to all caused by the sale of Matt, the Board has not shirked its duty to face up to the harsh realities of its financial situation.

"We look forward to the swift resolution of these short term issues, Football League approval of the new owners and hopefully a win against Crawley."

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/sport/10202693.Swindon_Town_issue_statement_following_Di_Canio_s_comments/

I see.

It's odd that you interpreted that article the way you did.

I saw it as an attention-seeker with a mediocre job, who knows he's done enough to secure a better, more lucrative job, getting his excuses in early so that he can renege on his contract and go elsewhere for more money, and take his little circus along with him.

Each to his own though.

The guy is a fruit cake - the consortium only took over last week as they they nearly went into admin under 13m debt and a willing Matt Richie was sold to raise funds.

We only have his word that assurances were given that he wouldn't be sold.

It's odd that you interpreted that article the way you did.

I saw it as an attention-seeker with a mediocre job, who knows he's done enough to secure a better, more lucrative job, getting his excuses in early so that he can renege on his contract and go elsewhere for more money, and take his little circus along with him.

Each to his own though.

My interpretation of the article is what I stated - a refreshing change to see some straight-talking. Since when has a manager, or a club for that matter, needed an excuse to renege on a contract?

The guy is a fruit cake - the consortium only took over last week as they they nearly went into admin under 13m debt and a willing Matt Richie was sold to raise funds.

We only have his word that assurances were given that he wouldn't be sold.

There has been no takeover.

The first football manager to suffer from vanity and a love of the camera? Really?

Ever heard of guys like Malcolm Allison, Brian Clough, Ron Atkinson.........?

I didn't say the first.

Do you find it refreshing when he tells the press he is going to pay loan fees for players out of his own money when he has no intention of doing it, which is proven by him not, in fact, doing it?

Or when him buying some pizzas for some people makes the news?

Money-grabbing, fame-hungry attention seeker. Everything that's wrong with modern football.

I didn't say the first.

Do you find it refreshing when he tells the press he is going to pay loan fees for players out of his own money when he has no intention of doing it, which is proven by him not, in fact, doing it?

Money-grabbing, fame-hungry attention seeker. Everything that's wrong with modern football.

I agree that money-grabbing is the main problem with football these days, after all that was generally the point I made in the original post?

If you hate Di Canio, fine, but it wouldn't matter who it was doing the shouting, my view would still be the same. There should be more managers prepared to blow the whistle on suits not doing their jobs properly - especially ones who court the fans and media when it benefits them.

I agree that money-grabbing is the main problem with football these days, after all that was generally the point I made in the original post?

If you hate Di Canio, fine, but it wouldn't matter who it was doing the shouting, my view would still be the same. There should be more managers prepared to blow the whistle on suits not doing their jobs properly - especially ones who court the fans and media when it benefits them.

Fine, but I don't think that's what he's doing. And if he is, he's doing it for personal gain (fame, money and attention). That's what I disagree with you on.

I didn't say the first.

It was reported that both Danny Hollands and Chris Martin had extended their loan deals. Did that change?

Fine, but I don't think that's what he's doing. And if he is, he's doing it for personal gain (fame, money and attention). That's what I disagree with you on.

I can see how he could get attention from it, and I'm sure there is a bit of that there, but please explain how it would make an ex-Premiership player with a colourful career any more famous, and how it would earn him any money?