Shadows from a previous era

The criticism of the current squad, training regime etc. made me think of some comparisons between the current coaching staff and a previous era. I think it's quite interesting and maybe explains why Ally is struggling to create a team that we all desire for..

McCoist and Durrant were stalwarts in the 9iar era, whereby we consistently won the top honours in Scottish football. A memorable quote from this era that sums up some of the teams schedule is "a team that drinks together, wins together". Perhaps this explains why we underperformed in Europe, throughout the 90s (barring 92/93), as we set our sights on the task ahead of us and no more. That task was to reach/emulate 9iar, Ally himself admitted that had they lost it, they'd of been forever remembered as the team that bottled 9iar.

Fast forward to the present day, and we again have only one (perceived) challenge in front of ourselves. Reach the top flight of Scottish football, as quickly as possible. Mission accomplished so far, we're running away with our current division, yet with the 2nd largest wage bill in Scottish football I reckon anyone with half a brain's worth of footballing knowledge could do this.

What the current coaching staff have failed to see (and this is not solely their fault) is that the time out of the top flight should not be looked over. We should be using this time to bring through 8-10 youth players into our starting line-up, who by the time we reach the top flight will have 3 seasons worth of football. In addition to this, we should be copying styles of football shown to be working elsewhere, such as Swansea, or Liverpool, or Aston Villa (easy examples).

The clubs mentioned all were in similar circumstances to us when they implemented these changes. Swansea were in League 2, and rather than rush up the divisions they honed a playing style that would win matches, plaudits, and bring fans rushing back to their ground. Liverpool also took such a measure by employing Rodgers (who was in no way solely responsible for Swansea), and whilst they struggled to begin with, in the space of a season they are now playing some of the best football in the league, and close to a top 4 finish. Aston Villa may get relegated, but i'd bet my mortgage they'll be back in the top flight within 3 seasons playing fantastic football and spending a fraction on players, compared to previous regimes.

We have this chance to change, the 4 years under Walter (second time round) were fantastic in terms of winning trophies, but we were a woeful team to watch at times. The 1-0 against Hamilton where Jelavic scored a free-kick, but otherwise we created next to fuck all against a shockingly poor side, will always stay in my mind as an utterly uninspiring way to win 3 points.

Under Walter we had this mentality that winning was everything, often sacrificing entertainment for trophies. Whilst I want to see Rangers remain as Scotland's most successful club, the clubs already mentioned have shown/are showing/will show that you can win with good football also. Something I hope Ally isn't too blind to see

A good read, and I do agree largely with your post.

However if you imagine the Villa situation, do you think that the majority of our fans would be happy with yo-yoing up and down the leagues content in the knowledge that we're playing good football.

Perhaps Longmuir's vision of having old firm colt sides competing in the SFL will be the bridge of balance.

A good read, and I do agree largely with your post.

However if you imagine the Villa situation, do you think that the majority of fans would be happy with yo-yoing up and down the leagues content in the knowledge that we're playing good football.

The players got applauded off the pitch earlier this season despite losing at home due to the effort and perfromance they put in.

Compare that to the shite we get served up.

The players got applauded off the pitch earlier this season despite losing at home due to the effort and perfromance they put in.

Compare that to the shite we get served up.

Something that we're distinctly lacking. I'd certainly be a much happier man watching our side putting in the more of the above.

Some of us will still view a loss as a loss regardless of how well we played.

Saying that, as it currently stands we have an opportunity to rebuild our team and develop a more entertaining style of play. I definitely agree we should proceed down this route (as per OP).