Glasgow Rangers v All Whites

Did you lot know that Rangers played New Zealand a couple of times in the 1980's?

Ok it's a big deal for me cos I'm in New Zealand so bear with me here :7325:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesn/nz-intres-det80.html#84

Jun 9, Auckland, Mt Smart Stadium, 3500

New Zealand 0-3 Glasgow Rangers

(David McPherson 35', John McDonald 42', Derek Fergusson 60')

New Zealand:

Frank van Hattum, Ken Cresswell, Richard Herbert, Keith Garland, Keith

Mackay (Kevin Hagan 65'), Peter Simonsen (Ceri Evans 71'), Grant Turner,

Raymond Harris (Paul Halford 45'), Allan Boath [c], Colin Walker,

Steve Wooddin.

Coach: Allan Jones.

Glasgow Rangers (Scotland):

Peter McCloy (Nick Walker), David McKinnon, Craig Paterson,

Alistair Dawson, John McClelland [c], Ian Redford (Stuart Munro),

David McPherson (Hugh Burns), John McDonald, Alistair McCoist,

Sandy Clark (Ian Fergusson), David Cooper (Derek Fergusson).

Coach: n/a

Referee:

William Munro (New Zealand).

Now I remember that game but cos I was in the South Island of NZ and just a nipper I didn't go

and the other game:

Friendly

Oct 31, Glasgow, Ibrox Stadium, 5500

Glasgow Rangers 5-0 New Zealand

(Alister McCoist 35', Robert Prytz 51',

Robert Fleck 77', 85', Dave Mitchell 88')

Glasgow Rangers (Scotland):

Peter McCloy, Ally Dawson, John McClelland [c], Dave McPherson,

Craig Paterson, Ian Redford, Robert Russell, Cammy Fraser, Dave

Mitchell, Alister McCoist, David Cooper.

Coach: n/a

New Zealand:

Richard Wilson, Martin Felton (John Leijh), Richard Herbert, Sean

Byrne, Keith Garland, Grant Turner, Allan Boath [c] (Steve Sumner),

Peter Simonsen (Keith Mackay), William McClure (Raymond Harris),

Colin Walker, Kevin Birch (Steve Wooddin).

Coach: Allan Jones.

Referee:

Ken Hope (Scotland).

anyone here go to that game? here's the cover for the programme

I remember that game too and maybe I have some newspaper cuttings from it somewhere

post-68699-0-10814200-1369460670_thumb.j

post-68699-0-10814200-1369460670_thumb.j

I was talking to one of the ladies from Christchurch Rangers AFC today and she was saying that when Glasgow Rangers were in NZ they came to Christchurch just for a visit and the team went to Rangers Park, the home of Christchurch Rangers AFC for a look around.

They also visiting the CHCH Rangers clubrooms. apparently they buzzed out on this little bit of Rangers so far from home!

this is the first time I have heard this story. I was going to Rangers Park myself at the time as a kiddo but dont remember that

interesting hey

Ok last bit of trivia

Match worn Glasgow Rangers Football Shirt - 1984 NZ Tour

Match-worn-Glasgow-Rangers-Football-Shirt.-1984-NZ-Tour.jpg

This is the No7 game day shirt.. Glasgow Rangers v New Zealand..

The Rangers Blue & White short sleeved Umbro shirt has the Rangers R.F.C. emblem embroidered on the front of the shirt along the Umbro logo.. and the Number 7 on the back. This shirt was exchanged by Rangers player Alistair McCoist for a NZ All Whites shirt from New Zealand player Allan Boath at the end of the tour games.....

Richard Herbert is now the manager of NZ is he not?

Did very well in the world cup.

Tricky Riki has been the manager of the All Whites for a while now and yeah they did really well in the World Cup in South Africa

Didn't lose a game

didn't win a game either but that's just a minor detail :lol:

he also managed Wellington Phoenix in the Australian football league as well. They finished bottom this season and he resigned :moon:

bottom

get it

yeah

Haha,, oops, some fat old guy in a bar in Queenstown tried telling me he had the honour of playing against Rangers in a friendly back in the 80s...I didn't believe him, maybe just maybe he wasn't telling me porkies. I take it they didn't go all that way just to play the all whites and there would of been a few games against amateur teams? Pretty sure I would of remembered if he said he played for new Zealand , think he said he played for a wee team called hearts or something? ( no not the wee Edinburgh team before u say it )

Haha,, oops, some fat old guy in a bar in Queenstown tried telling me he had the honour of playing against Rangers in a friendly back in the 80s...I didn't believe him, maybe just maybe he wasn't telling me porkies. I take it they didn't go all that way just to play the all whites and there would of been a few games against amateur teams? Pretty sure I would of remembered if he said he played for new Zealand , think he said he played for a wee team called hearts or something? ( no not the wee Edinburgh team before u say it )

as far as I know when they came to NZ in 1984 they played just the one game against the All Whites

but they may have traveled around the country for a bit of a tiki tour at the same time

yeah there is a team called hearts down timaru way: Northern Hearts

don't forget parts of the Southern South Island were settled by scots:

Invercragill has a football club called Queen's Park and there used to be Invercargill Thistle

and of course the Mighty Christchurch Rangers

i remember this also, was absolutely heartbroken my dad wouldnt take us from wellington down to christchurch watch the mighty rangers, as a 10 year old this was like losing a limb :angry:

If you're talking Glasgow Rangers the game was at Mt Smart stadium in akl

yeah that would have sucked to miss the game!

maybe you came to Christchurch to see the Mighty Christchurch Rangers tho :7325: was the only show in town for a number of years

im biased tho hehe

Racist!

there's always one of ya's :7325:

When the All Whites play home games in NZ they have a section at the ground for the hardcore fans called the white noise zone

imagine the uproar from the smelly hippies if that was a name being used in the UK :lol:

thats why I like it here in NZ: we have our fair share of hippies and lefties but freedom of speech is still very much alive here and you can pretty much say what you want and not get arrested

you might get smashed over by someone who dont like what you say but it wont be the cops or the PC brigade (cos they are pansies) :000000082:

and thats how it should be imo

there's always one of ya's :7325:

When the All Whites play home games in NZ they have a section at the ground for the hardcore fans called the white noise zone

imagine the uproar from the smelly hippies if that was a name being used in the UK :lol:

thats why I like it here in NZ: we have our fair share of hippies and lefties but freedom of speech is still very much alive here and you can pretty much say what you want and not get arrested

you might get smashed over by someone who dont like what you say but it wont be the cops or the PC brigade (cos they are pansies) :000000082:

and thats how it should be imo

Aye it does sound mental! I'm going to NZ next year actually, can't wait

Thanks mate!! That would be superb. I'm going to try and see as much of NZ as I can, 3 week holiday so here's hoping :D

3 weeks won't be enough but you'll get your appetite whet for sure

avoid Auckland: they are a bunch of dicks :000000082:

If you are into rugged scenery, mountains, friendly people, lakes, rivers, hot pools, snow, earthquake damage (chch) come to the south island

if you wanna tango with a bunch of poofs and sip cocktails well just stay with those North Islanders cos we arent like that down here :lol:

3 weeks won't be enough but you'll get your appetite whet for sure

avoid Auckland: they are a bunch of dicks :000000082:

If you are into rugged scenery, mountains, friendly people, lakes, rivers, hot pools, snow, earthquake damage (chch) come to the south island

if you wanna tango with a bunch of poofs and sip cocktails well just stay with those North Islanders cos we arent like that down here :lol:

I know, 3 weeks won't be anywhere near enough unfortunately but my work wouldn't let me book anymore than that. It is a decent amount of time if I get cracking and try to cram in as much as possible. Haha it's funny you say that mate, I've heard that about Auckland, I've heard mixed reviews about it but two New Zealanders said Auckland was the "Dundee" of NZ haha. I do fancy the south, that's where I'll be arriving. I read a good book about gangs in New Zealand, I'm looking forward to asking and finding out a bit more.

I know, 3 weeks won't be anywhere near enough unfortunately but my work wouldn't let me book anymore than that. It is a decent amount of time if I get cracking and try to cram in as much as possible. Haha it's funny you say that mate, I've heard that about Auckland, I've heard mixed reviews about it but two New Zealanders said Auckland was the "Dundee" of NZ haha. I do fancy the south, that's where I'll be arriving. I read a good book about gangs in New Zealand, I'm looking forward to asking and finding out a bit more.

aucklands a hole mate; but best you find out for yourself

which book on gangs did you read?

we have plenty of gangs: mongrel mob, black power, road knights, skinhead gangs, bikie gangs, crypts, bloods

you name it: theres a gang for everyone :7325:

what do you wanna know about gangs here can probably answer your questions :ohmy:

I'm in Windy Wellington and believe me it is windy here today. The local team, the Pheonix, were truly pish this season. Some great boozers here and I took a wee wander round the Te Papa museum a couple of weeks back. I'll be going back there later to spend more time as they change the exhibits regularly. They will be setting up a WW1 exhibition next year with the help of Sir Peter Jackson, director of the Lords of the Rings. If you are into that, the film sets are near my house and are now tourist attractions. The National War Memorial with it's attendant museum is a good visit.

I wanted to ask btw, see when a Mongrol gang member dies, is it true that the gang take his body out for one last night out and party with him and that, I read a book that said that an that they put a fag in the guys mouth haha. Sounds mental

I wanted to ask btw, see when a Mongrol gang member dies, is it true that the gang take his body out for one last night out and party with him and that, I read a book that said that an that they put a fag in the guys mouth haha. Sounds mental

Haha, fuck that sounds ridiculous though I can believe it...when a family member dies they're body stays in the house for 3 days whilst family and friends gather for a 3 day wake....stories are told, the guitar comes out and the drinks flow, weird as fuck, I've experienced it myself...Good laugh to be fair :)

Haha, fuck that sounds ridiculous though I can believe it...when a family member dies they're body stays in the house for 3 days whilst family and friends gather for a 3 day wake....stories are told, the guitar comes out and the drinks flow, weird as fuck, I've experienced it myself...Good laugh to be fair :)

It goes into quite a lot of detail in the book im talking about but yeah it does sound a bit crazy. Do you know what though I kinda like how it's not a morbid thing and that death can be celebrated as well. Haha you've been to one? Really? That's mental haha I bet that was an eye opener.

It goes into quite a lot of detail in the book im talking about but yeah it does sound a bit crazy. Do you know what though I kinda like how it's not a morbid thing and that death can be celebrated as well. Haha you've been to one? Really? That's mental haha I bet that was an eye opener.

Yer it was nice, quite comforting but definitely an eye opener, was only 15!! Normal in NZ, bit mental when folk wanna try it in the UK though, me my dad and sisters struggled with my mums lot when she passed away. They flew over for the funeral expecting to find my mum ' resting ' in our living room, I swear hell froze over when they found she wasn't but thankfully a compromise was reached