A wonderful moment tonight

Essandoh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words. She was a wonderful woman, and he is a wonderful man. We discovered recently that he's actually eligible for placement in Erskine Hospital should that time come because of his services in the RAF during the late 1940s and 50s.

They overcame so many barriers to be together, himself being a young Protestant man from Johnstone and Anna being from a strongly Irish Catholic background in Nitshill. She converted, because despite being deeply religious, nothing would keep her from the man that she adored. She was motherless from birth and went on to raise a wonderful daughter, my mother, and a very proud boy, my uncle. She was told when she was 65 that she wouldn't make 70. She was 85 when she died. An incredibly strong woman with absolute resolve and character. Together, they were formidable. They couldn't be broken.

And they never will be.

Would it be possible to get him to a game?

I will pay for his ticket if he can make it.

Im sure the club were doing an event in a hotel up the town in aid of Alzheimer's where they played old games etc to try and help jog some memories and help those suffering with Alzheimer's remember some good times.

Would definitely be worth your while asking mate (tu)

Thanks for sharing your story as well, it reminds me of when my gran and grandpa were in hospital before they passed. Always asking how the Rangers were getting on, and both would have a smile that lasted days when told that we had won at the weekend. Those are the last memories I have of both of them (plus one of my grandpa asking the doctor, after being told he would have to use a Zimmer or more likely a wheelchair for the rest of his life, if he would be better in time to make the parade on the twelth!) and I wouldn't change it.

Far, far more than a club.

Condolences on your grandmother as well mate.

Your first paragraph, yes the club were doing an event for free if I remember correctly. Not sure if it has passed yet though.

Am sure someone on here will know if it has passed or not.

Would it be possible to get him to a game?

I will pay for his ticket if he can make it.

First of all, that is an incredible humbling gesture. Thank you for such a lovely proposal.

Unfortunately though, he won't be able to. Without sounding rude (no, really, I don't mean to sound rude!) I've explained above why this isn't possible.

First of all, that is an incredible humbling gesture. Thank you for such a lovely proposal.

Unfortunately though, he won't be able to. Without sounding rude (no, really, I don't mean to sound rude!) I've explained above why this isn't possible.

That's unfortunate. Completely understandable though.

I hope you can at least get him into Erskine if is at all possible. (tu)

Some of the UB lads will get a kick from what he told me that night. "Why are we sitting? I'm not sitting. I want to stand. You can't sit at the football."

Good stuff Granddad the voice of reason (tu)

what a very special story that was to read; brought up all sorts of emotions especially as my Gran has Alzheimer's as well

It can be quite upsetting to visit her as she just is a shell of the person she used to be but your story haas inspired me to go pay her a visit this weekend

my Gran was mentioned in dispatches in WW2 whilst serving in the WAAF and i like to chat to her about those times: she rermemebrs them well. ask her what she had for breakfast tho and you get a puzzled look from her alas

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on RangersMedia and afar for their kind words. I never once expected such a heartwarming response that this post has been given.

It's been a fucking shit week. As usual, whenever we're at our lowest ebb, Rangers Football Club and its family is there to cushion the blow. I'll forever be thankful.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on RangersMedia and afar for their kind words. I never once expected such a heartwarming response that this post has been given.

It's been a fucking shit week. As usual, whenever we're at our lowest ebb, Rangers Football Club and its family is there to cushion the blow. I'll forever be thankful.

swings both ways mate;

I had been feeling pretty low about my Gran's condition but you have given me inspiration to go see her this weekend (tu)