Youngsters still have a chance

Looking at the pre-season games, training and most importantly the amount of older players that have been brought in there has been a question mark over whether or not the players who have been coming through our youth ranks actually have a chance of playing. Well I sincerely think they will still have a major say in the coming games over the next season the advantage of all these new players is that they can't rest on their laurels and they have to fight for a place which will benefit them, it will also benefit those that have been brought in because they will know if they don't perform then they won't be guaranteed a first team place either.

I don't know, McKay and Mcleod will, but I can't see many more making it which is unfortunate because I think there are a few good future squad players in there like Mitchell, Luca G and perhaps Crawford. I doubt many more will get the game time the need to develop much further.

As long as we win the league, I don't particularly care if it's done with a 30 year-old free transfer from Dundee United or an 18 year-old from our youth side.

Apart from Macleod, no youngster at Ibrox has excelled to the extent that he can command a first team place and I'm not even talking about pre-season; Macleod was first team material last season.

Gasparotto looked the part when he came in, Crawford has shown flashes, but apart from that, I can't see another young boy who's good enough to remain with us at a higher level.

MacKay, I like and rated, but I felt that he looked totally disinterested throughout the second half of last season. The last time I seem him coast past defenders was at Elgin in late December. After that, anonymous.

I have to admit when we were cast down I had high hopes that we would start from scratch with young lads but the quality just isn't there and apart from Nicky Clark we don't seem to be interested in finding better quality lads. When you think of how many players will have passed through our youth system over the last couple of years and how many will actually make SPL standard it's quite depressing.