Good Clip Of Jim Baxter The King

minstral

Will never forget when we beat the darkside in the 1962-63 Scottish Cup Final. Baxter was outstanding, and had the Celtic end empty with 20 minutes to go. We should have scored 7 or 8 that day, but Baxter was happy to take the piss out of them that day.

Christ minstral, if it hadn't been for my big pal Frank Haffey playing a blinder on the Saturday, we would have scored half a dozen and not needed to go to the replay on the Wednesday 11 day later (I can't remember why we never had the replay the following Saturday)

We made only one change for the replay with the Wee Prime Minister coming back instead of Dandy Mclean and that made a big difference, Baxter was pure gallus that night and as you say, he was content to take the piss out of the dark side.

Big McNeill had steam coming out of his ears with anger in that game,although that might have had something to do with the fact that McNeill told Haffey to stamp on a blue balloon that landed inside the penalty box and big Frank told him to 'fucking do it yourself' :lol:

Slim Jim was one of the greatest footballers Scotland has ever produced and he was way ahead of his time and could have held his own in any team in the world, including the great Benfica and Milan sides of that time.I'm still positive to this day that if Jim Baxter had played in the Cup winners cup in 1967, we would have humped Bayern Munich.

I feel sorry for the generations that never had the privilege to see Jim Baxter play football....You have no idea what you missed. :pipe:

"The wives of Celtic fans used to send me letters thanking me for sending their men home early..." Is my favourite Baxter quote.

What is often overlooked is the pass he plays to Law after the keepy-uppy at Wembley.

He just puts his foot under the ball and gently lifts it over the England players - sheer class.

Probably our finest player ever.