Frank McParland - Genius?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FMcP and MW are a prime examples of getting the very best people we can irrespective of any prior Rangers connection.

For too long we've been putting the "Rangers men" aspect first, this reached a peak (or rather a low) with McCoist, a man wholly incapable of doing the job but who had the "pedigree".

I hope we are never so blinkered and parochial again.

8 hours ago, The Beast said:

FMcP and MW are a prime examples of getting the very best people we can irrespective of any prior Rangers connection.

For too long we've been putting the "Rangers men" aspect first, this reached a peak (or rather a low) with McCoist, a man wholly incapable of doing the job but who had the "pedigree".

I understand what you are saying but we have still the "connection " with DW who I am sure nipped the gaffers ear about us and now is part of our management team. 

It is something no club can avoid.

I think our experience with McCoist has tainted the "Rangers men" thing - we had some good times under Souness but not so under Le Guen. 

And I am sure there may be  good times ahead with the likes of Kenny Miller or even Andy Halliday at the healm. 

But you are correct regarding appointing staff who are the best for the job it is something our board has to consider long and hard. 

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I understand what you are saying but we have still the "connection " with DW who I am sure nipped the gaffers ear about us and now is part of our management team. 

It is something no club can avoid.

I think our experience with McCoist has tainted the "Rangers men" thing - we had some good times under Souness but not so under Le Guen. 

And I am sure there may be  good times ahead with the likes of Kenny Miller or even Andy Halliday at the healm. 

But you are correct regarding appointing staff who are the best for the job it is something our board has to consider long and hard. 

Not sure what point you're making re Souness, he had no connection not even as a fan, prior to becoming manager.

As for PLG you could argue that whatever might have happened was at least partly sabotaged due to "Rangers men", Ferguson in particular.

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Not sure what point you're making re Souness, he had no connection not even as a fan, prior to becoming manager.

As for PLG you could argue that whatever might have happened was at least partly sabotaged due to "Rangers men", Ferguson in particular.

Tenuous with Souness as player/manager then manager. 

27 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Tenuous with Souness as player/manager then manager. 

I'm not saying that people with a Rangers connection should not be involved but it shouldn't be a qualification. We should strive to always get the very best people we can, if they so happen to be a Rangers fan or ex-player then that's just a bonus.

I think MW and FMc are taking the best approach

Questions asked: "Attitude, ability and availability?"

Questions not asked: "Are you a Rangers man?"

If question 1 is yes then anything else is a bonus

I have a feeling this wasn't done in the previous regime

On 5/16/2016 at 10:46 PM, The Beast said:

McParland said this on Monday:

To be honest, the ideal is to take a Ranger supporter, said McParland. "People might scoff at that, but it’s the truth. Because they have the affinity with what we are trying to do."

"You see that with Andy Halliday here. He typifies a lot of what we want to do. Unbelievable character, loves the club, knows how we play and is a good lad. Put all that together and you get a top player," he added.

He doesn't have a problem with 'Rangers men', in fact he seems to actively encourage recruiting them.

9 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

I do think there's an added bonus if you are both a fan and a player as it may get that extra out you. But it shouldn't be the reason to go after someone. Halliday was a real find and there won't be many others out there with his affinity with the club.  

Could the same be said when looking for a manager? I don't think so. 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

I do think there's an added bonus if you are both a fan and a player as it may get that extra out you. But it shouldn't be the reason to go after someone. Halliday was a real find and there won't be many others out there with his affinity with the club.  

Could the same be said when looking for a manager? I don't think so. 

In McParland's words recruiting Rangers men is what we want to do ideally. That'll be a bit awkward for some on here.

"Rangers men" has been a derogatory term for too long on here whether directed at board, management, coach, player or employee level.

3 hours ago, AlBear85 said:

He doesn't have a problem with 'Rangers men', in fact he seems to actively encourage recruiting them.

He does say that, but that shouldnt be top of the list of requirements though.. It should be the right person for the job and if they are Rangers fans then that is a bonus. 

The footballing operation/infrastructure as a whole is what is important.

Alongside having the right individuals in charge of the various parts of it.

If you get each dept. adding value and contributing positively the end result will be positive.

Individuals come and go, we need to get the infrastructure spot-on so as make things easier when they do.