Steam Deck

stevemac

Missus has the 512gb OLED and I have a ROG Ally. They actually compliment each other very well! 

It’s a fantastic emulator and the screen is incredible. But I don’t like being restricted to steamOS, even if it is a buttery smooth experience. 

ROG ally can be a bit of a pain to use but to Asus’s credit they are making significant strides. But the greater software support and freedom to use games pass natively without having to rely on streaming is worth the gripes.

7 hours ago, stevemac said:

Anyone in here got one? Ordered myself an OLED 512gb. Gonna fire emudeck on and download some switch games along with PS2, Dreamcast etc. And xbplay for Game Pass. 

Been looking at this humming and hawing about whether to order one or not, keep going between ordering this or a retroid pocket 3 or 4+ or a switch as I believe these can also be jailbroke 

13 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Been looking at this humming and hawing about whether to order one or not, keep going between ordering this or a retroid pocket 3 or 4+ or a switch as I believe these can also be jailbroke 

Honestly mate I've been following retro game corps for about 2 years now and I was a backer of the AYN Odin - I pulled out because despite it being the best android handheld (as the Odin 2 now is) my phone with a controller (I'm using a gamesir X2) is as powerful (minus the battery life).

But I wanted a bit of an all in one, something with a decent screen for if I wanted to watch movies on I could, and something that could emulate all the way up to switch with ease.

Considered a switch but they are a fucking ballache to jailbreak as such, to jig it you need a proper early one pre 2018 model iirc, and the cost of the hard mod chips for those later than that are extortionate and absolutely not for the faint hearted for fitting. Genuinely hard modded OLED switches go for about £400 and at that price point your near steam deck OLED money which is a full blown pc.

If you aren't looking to spend the earth I'd look at the ayn Odin 1 over the RP3+, you can pick them up on eBay for about £170 or new from Ayn for the same, possible taxes from China but.

15 hours ago, Iakona said:

Missus has the 512gb OLED and I have a ROG Ally. They actually compliment each other very well! 

It’s a fantastic emulator and the screen is incredible. But I don’t like being restricted to steamOS, even if it is a buttery smooth experience. 

ROG ally can be a bit of a pain to use but to Asus’s credit they are making significant strides. But the greater software support and freedom to use games pass natively without having to rely on streaming is worth the gripes.

Almost got one but the battery life and windows put me off (and that's someone that's never used Linux long term in my life)

I just don't think windows is quite there yet for handhelds, that and the quality control issues put me off a bit on the ally (SD card reader issues) the screens meant to be very very good however. I think if you get a good ally and a power bank your laughing though. 

13 hours ago, stevemac said:

Almost got one but the battery life and windows put me off (and that's someone that's never used Linux long term in my life)

I just don't think windows is quite there yet for handhelds, that and the quality control issues put me off a bit on the ally (SD card reader issues) the screens meant to be very very good however. I think if you get a good ally and a power bank your laughing though. 

Yeah the battery isn’t ideal, even when running like for like power settings… but I’m personally always near a socket and I don’t tend to play for more than an hour or 2 at most anyway. The latest update from ASUS does have some new features that help increase battery life though. 

Touch wood I’ve not had any issues with the SD card slot, however there is claims it’s been addressed or at-least minimised. If it does break it’ll just encourage me to upgrade the SSD.

The OS defo isn’t as a smooth since as you said it’s just windows, opposed to a modified version of Linux that’s purpose built for the deck. But it’s a trade off I’m willing to live with for the wider support. Having gamed on PC for years a lot of my games aren’t on steam or don’t run well on Linux.

The screen is great, I didn’t think 1080p would be much of a benefit over 800p on such a small screen but it’s very nice. The real showsteeler is the inclusion of VRR though. It’s a literal game changer. 

Ultimately you can’t go wrong with either as whilst similar they are also very different. It’s just whatever fits your personal needs better. Both are fantastic little machines. I’m pretty fortunate that I have access to both, although the missus absolutely loves her deck so there’s not many opportunities for me to pinch it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely loving it so far. I am not a huge gamer nor do I have the time to play as often as I'd like but its great to pick up and play for an hour here and there. Been playing GTA IV (which, IMO, was a better game than GTA V) Sega Bass Fishing (loved it on Dreamcast) and Powerwash Simulator :lol: sounds shite but honestly its a good game for chilling out and it plays great on the deck.

I find myself playing it far more than I ever did with my Series S, or my old gaming PC.

On 27/12/2023 at 11:52, Roy Hobbs said:

I got the original LCD steam deck a few months ago. Mostly for playing old Nintendo games on emudeck which it is excellent for. I've picked up a few sale games on Steam as well though.

I've installed emudeck but not got round to getting any roms or bios on yet. I'll mainly be going for PS2, Dreamcast and N64 emulation but I want to have a go with Yuzu and try some switch games.

Just now, stevemac said:

Absolutely loving it so far. I am not a huge gamer nor do I have the time to play as often as I'd like but its great to pick up and play for an hour here and there. Been playing GTA IV (which, IMO, was a better game than GTA V) Sega Bass Fishing (loved it on Dreamcast) and Powerwash Simulator :lol: sounds shite but honestly its a good game for chilling out and it plays great on the deck.

I find myself playing it far more than I ever did with my Series S, or my old gaming PC.

I've installed emudeck but not got round to getting any roms or bios on yet. I'll mainly be going for PS2, Dreamcast and N64 emulation but I want to have a go with Yuzu and try some switch games.

Let me know how the emulation is mate 

Just now, stevemac said:

I haven't tried Switch yet as I didn't know where to find the games. Wii, 3ds and Wii U were all easy to find. Let me know how you get on.

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

I haven't tried Switch yet as I didn't know where to find the games. Wii, 3ds and Wii U were all easy to find. Let me know how you get on.

I've not looked too much into it yet, but I've been suggested to look at Fitgirl Repacks for various roms. may find some switch on there.

there is a few wii games I'd love to replay but not sure how it would work RE controller. I really wanted to get house of the dead, ill have to see if anyone has mapped controls for it (alternatively I believe there was a switch version so theres always that)

Just now, stevemac said:

I've not looked too much into it yet, but I've been suggested to look at Fitgirl Repacks for various roms. may find some switch on there.

there is a few wii games I'd love to replay but not sure how it would work RE controller. I really wanted to get house of the dead, ill have to see if anyone has mapped controls for it (alternatively I believe there was a switch version so theres always that)

Aye I've mostly avoided playing the Wii games for that reason. I think there's mappings available for them though.

3 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

aye i will do mate, having said that retro game corps on youtube is spot on, and the general consensus is anything up to ps3/360 is fine (there will be some that won't work ps3/360 but thats more due to bottlenecks with the emulator and not the hardware) but once i get some roms on ill get some videos up on here of gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Aye I've mostly avoided playing the Wii games for that reason. I think there's mappings available for them though.

i honestly considered just buying a wii for the odd few games I wanted & they are a piece of piss to mod, very few for sale locally though & any that do pop up folk are wanting silly money for it so.

5 minutes ago, stevemac said:

i honestly considered just buying a wii for the odd few games I wanted & they are a piece of piss to mod, very few for sale locally though & any that do pop up folk are wanting silly money for it so.

Folk would have been practically giving them away a few years ago as well. I modded mine and had an external hard drive full of games connected to it. 

23 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Folk would have been practically giving them away a few years ago as well. I modded mine and had an external hard drive full of games connected to it. 

aye i got one about 5 years ago for a tenner, modded it & gifted it on.

On 11/01/2024 at 15:22, RFC55 said:

Bit of a nightmare trying to record while playing mate ,😂 but getting 60fps on mario kart double dash - all the controls already mapped, literally installed the emulator downloaded the rom and the bios and that was it. Runs perfect. I've not worked out how to tweak it yet or how to lock the FPS.

IMG20240113222953.jpg

13 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Bit of a nightmare trying to record while playing mate ,😂 but getting 60fps on mario kart double dash - all the controls already mapped, literally installed the emulator downloaded the rom and the bios and that was it. Runs perfect. I've not worked out how to tweak it yet or how to lock the FPS.

IMG20240113222953.jpg

See that’s where I’d be lost with it all.

i used to be quite clued up but that was years ago and now im a bit lost with it all 

21 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

See that’s where I’d be lost with it all.

i used to be quite clued up but that was years ago and now im a bit lost with it all 

Honestly mate if you get stuck give me a shout. I'm learning as I go but happy to provide the links I'm using with tutorials & video guides on how Tos. 

I've never used Linux before but it's relatively straightforward, once you've done it once it's easy enough to add more games etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2024 at 22:35, stevemac said:

IMG20240113222953.jpg

Steam deck is on the way mate, prepare to be bombarded 😂😂

26 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Steam deck is on the way mate, prepare to be bombarded 😂😂

you do right mate. Highly recommend wreckfest if your into burnout style games. 

Also, 

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/10/16/steam-deck-emulation-starter-guide/

give that a read, or watch his video with step by step instructions. If you havent ordered already, you'll want a Micro SD card (A2 class) depending on the quantity of emulated games you plan on putting on - I personally went for a 256gb as it was plenty for me.

or

if your a lazy bastard people sell micro SD cards with Batocera installed (its like an emulation suite, fully integrated onto an SD card) loaded with loads of games. I've seen a few on FB marketplace, like a 512gb card with games & fully set up for around £70. the card alone is probably £40+ so your paying extra for the premium of someone setting it up and installing a load of roms to it. I personally didn't as it was packed with roms I wouldnt play. but its an option anyway

1 hour ago, stevemac said:

you do right mate. Highly recommend wreckfest if your into burnout style games. 

Also, 

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/10/16/steam-deck-emulation-starter-guide/

give that a read, or watch his video with step by step instructions. If you havent ordered already, you'll want a Micro SD card (A2 class) depending on the quantity of emulated games you plan on putting on - I personally went for a 256gb as it was plenty for me.

or

if your a lazy bastard people sell micro SD cards with Batocera installed (its like an emulation suite, fully integrated onto an SD card) loaded with loads of games. I've seen a few on FB marketplace, like a 512gb card with games & fully set up for around £70. the card alone is probably £40+ so your paying extra for the premium of someone setting it up and installing a load of roms to it. I personally didn't as it was packed with roms I wouldnt play. but its an option anyway

Magic mate.

hopefully its easy enough to do.

do you know if an ms dos emulator is available on the deck mate?