Rangers fans have class

Briton

Following on from another thread a bit of a pet hate of mine is getting clubs names wrong. As we are fans of the world's classiest club we should strive to show all those other plebs that we are also the most knowledgeable fans ;)

No Inter Milan, no Sporting Lisbon and definitely no Glasgow Rangers :)

To be fair just about every newspaper, website and TV pundit uses these terms. The only one's who always seem to be accurate are UEFA.

Not sure if there are any others. Was once told that Atletico Madrid should just be known Atletico but don't know if that's true.

Also...Milan/Inter do not play at the San Giro and West Ham's ground is not Upton Park...any others?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from another thread a bit of a pet hate of mine is getting clubs names wrong. As we are fans of the world's classiest club we should strive to show all those other plebs that we are also the most knowledgeable fans ;)

To be fair just about every newspaper, website and TV pundit uses these terms. The only one's who always seem to be accurate are UEFA.

Not sure if there are any others. Was once told that Atletico Madrid should just be known Atletico but don't know if that's true.

Also...Milan/Inter do not play at the San Giro and West Ham's ground is not Upton Park...any others?

AC play at The San Siro and Internazionale play at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza ;)

West Ham play at The Boleyn Ground.

You might be mixing up Athletic Bilbao with Atletico Madrid?

(tu) i remember that thing about ac and inter on offside :P

I've caught several West Ham fans with the Boleyn Ground one ;) and the Atletico one was told to me by someone, so may be untrue. I do know that Bilbao are called Athletic, presumably because they were formed by a Mackem, hence the red stripes.

Are you joking about Milan playing at the San Siro?...Giuseppe Meazza did play for both clubs (although mainly Inter).

rangers history has it down as sporting lisbon so that will do for me.

Are you joking about Milan playing at the San Siro?...Giuseppe Meazza did play for both clubs (although mainly Inter).

Correct. The San Siro is the common name for the Meazza - both Inter and Milan play at the Meazza.

A very common one is Bayern Munich.

It's München.

As an aside, Inter's real name is Internazionale Milano.

Aye, but it's wrong ;)

Their full name is actually Sporting Club of Lisbon.

And Sporting is their accurate 'short term'.

So you keep saying but there is no such club as Sporting Lisbon.

Here is their home page... http://www.sporting.pt/Servicos/Gamebox/Gameboxvideo.asp

Actually Benfica's full title is Sport Lisboa e Benfica so it's more accurate to call them Sporting Lisbon!

No biggie mind you. The majority will continue to call them by the wrong name...not those with class though ;)

Here is their home page... http://www.sporting.pt/Servicos/Gamebox/Gameboxvideo.asp

Actually Benfica's full title is Sport Lisboa e Benfica so it's more accurate to call them Sporting Lisbon!

No biggie mind you. The majority will continue to call them by the wrong name...not those with class though ;)

Who really cares mate??

When people call them 'Sporting Lisbon', then you can have a little satisfying chuckle to yourself inside your head.

Meanwhile the rest of us will get on with our lives. :)

Aye, but it's wrong ;)

Actually it's 'Sporting Clube de Portugal'.

Aye, but it's wrong ;)

Actually it's 'Sporting Clube de Portugal'.

My mistake :)

Correct. The San Siro is the common name for the Meazza - both Inter and Milan play at the Meazza.

San Siro is the area the stadium is in, right?

San Siro is the area the stadium is in, right?

Yup.

Who really cares mate??

When people call them 'Sporting Lisbon', then you can have a little satisfying chuckle to yourself inside your head.

Meanwhile the rest of us will get on with our lives. :)

As I said no biggie and I wouldn't imagine anyone 'really cares'...just a little bit of amusement and something that may be of interest to some. Why don't you just ignore it instead of making stupid little comments and then you'll have more time to 'get on with your life'?