Have we given Europe the wrong impression?

Boab

There's no doubt that we played far too defensively through our CL qualifiers but if our Group stage opponents only watch our CL games then surely this a false representation of how good we can become in an attacking sense as having a solid defence?

We have dangerous attacking players like:

• Big Lee for his aerial ability,
  • Whittaker for his powerful running,
  • Cousin for being what looks like a modern striker
  • JCD for being a wee terrier
  • Kris Boyd who may score even if he doesn't do what is required at times
  • Nacho Novo: Who's pace is a threat but end product sometimes not
  • DMB who is starting to settle in and show he can use pace to great effect
And we also have Buffel, Adam and Gow to come in and in the case of the latter two, prove themselves

So, we are dangerous aswell as solid!

Ps. Also Smith and Hutton as attacking fullbacks!

yep, the pressure is off in the CL now, we have made our money so we can afford to go fora bit more in our home games and I think Wattie will know that, nothing like a big european night in Ibrox and I cannot wait for the 1st match!!!!

Qualifiers are always nervy affairs... the main objective is to NOT concede away goals, and get through the tie by any means possible. Hence why we were so defensive and slow. When we get into the CL proper we can give it a go ..especially at Ibrox when we will attack everyone.

and as you say..we DO have the players that can score goals and create.

I think people are not looking at the big picture where the qualifiers are concerned.. we WONT play like that in the group stage. We had to get to them in the first place..and we have, job done

People keep commenting on Walter's tactics throughout the qualifiers. They were spot on IMO. Yeh, I would of liked to see us scoring more, but the organisation and professionalism throughout the whole team was second to none. WATP.

We will play more attacking football at Ibrox in the group stages, I am sure of that. And with our defensive record so far - 0 goals conceded in Europe - I am hoping for a few draws away from home, even against the best of teams.

I think everybody would of like to see more attacking football but, hey, we`re there, job done. I`d take that every time. We`ll probably have another 3 of the same in the group stages away from home. To be honest Rangers aren`t one of Europes top teams , we have to admit we`re out gunned by Barca, Real , Bayern , Man U and the likes so we play to our strengths. As the saying goes, `Don`t pull a knife out at a gun fight`

No, I don't think we have given Europe the wrong impression at all. We have shown them exacxtly how we are going to set up our stall for the majority, if not all of this campaign.

Yes the players you listed are good and have excellent qualities, especially if they raise their game for the occassionn, but at the end of the day they still don't hold a candle to some of the players that will be playing in The Champions League this year. And by that I don't mean your obvious names: Xavi's, Terry's or Ronaldo's, I mean players who play for the teams in pot's 2 and 3.

It is pretty likely that we will be in pot 4 for the draw. That to us means everything as we are in the glory land of The Champions League, however to other teams it means we are the wipping boys who they will try and take full points from.

We have no choice but to set our stall up defensively and try and hit teams on the counter attack as we don't have the same resources that other teams who we should be better than do, but thats just thats the frightening and harsh reality of playing in the SPL and missing out on the Champions League last year too.

This Champions League campaign is going to so similar to the majority of WS's tenure with Scotland it's almost frightening.

played far too defensively

It done the trick.

Correct. To hell with the fancy football - we got through and that is all that counts. Winning is everything.

Furthermore, the qualifiers are much harder affair, psychologically speaking, than the CL itself. The pressure is off once you get there. Getting there is the hard bit.

I think that now we are through qualifying and got some cash coming in we will see some more goals on our part. I think that the back is going to be a solid helper in this. We don't have to worry as much this year, as in others, about attacking too much and having a defence that can't keep up with the rest of the team.

yep, the pressure is off in the CL now, we have made our money so we can afford to go fora bit more in our home games and I think Wattie will know that, nothing like a big european night in Ibrox and I cannot wait for the 1st match!!!!

I hope we come out with a more aggressive approach - you may well be right, Hoff that WS was keeping things tight till we were through.