John Reid to be new Celtic Chairman

DadoPrso9

Guest The Brown Brogue

A small excerpt from his political career...

More controversially, during the 1990s Bosnian War, Reid struck up a friendship with Serb rebel leader (and later indicted war-criminal) Radovan Karadžić; Reid admitted he spent three days at a luxury Geneva lakeside hotel as a guest of Karadžić in 1993.[4] This was during the period (April 1992-July 1995) in which the crimes for which Karadžić was indicted in 1995 were committed. Typical really...

One things for sure though he will be very well connected and will fight celtics corner with all he's got. He should be watched very carefully.

Celtic PLC has announced that Chairman Brian Quinn is to retire from his position at the club following the AGM at the end of November.

Mr Quinn (70) who has served as a director of the club for over 11 years and as chairman of the club for seven-and-a-half years will be succeeded by former Home Secretary, Rt Hon John Reid MP, (60) who will join the board next month as independent non-executive director and chairman-elect with effect from October 1, 2007.

He will be joined on the board by non-executive director Ian Livingston. Mr Livingston (43) is currently chief executive of BT Retail, the consumer and business division of BT Group in the UK and Ireland and an executive director of BT Group plc.

Mr Quinn said: “My involvement with and commitment to Celtic spans seven decades and to have served as Chairman is the greatest privilege of my life.

“However, all good things must come to an end and I felt that the time was right to pass on the baton. I am therefore, delighted that in John Reid we have a man with the club’s best interests at heart.

"Having gotten to know John well over many years during his frequent visits to Celtic Park, I have no hesitation in giving him my warmest congratulations at his forthcoming appointment.â€

During Brian Quinn’s tenure as chairman, the club enjoyed huge success on the pitch, including five SPL titles, four Scottish cups, three League Cups, a run to the final of the UEFA Cup in Seville and last season Celtic reached the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

Off the field, the club’s financial performance has been equally impressive, culminating in the recent announcement of record-breaking profits and turnover for a Scottish club.

Mr Quinn added: “I have been very fortunate to have shared the Celtic boardroom with a number of exceptional business figures, not least, Dermot Desmond.

"I am also particularly proud of the efforts of our chief executive Peter Lawwell and his team in delivering so impressively off the field.

“The Celtic fans, too, have played a starring role during my time as director and chairman and it has been one of my greatest pleasures to have personally met many thousands of them during my tenure. They are, and always will be the heartbeat of the club.

“And of course I am extremely grateful to have worked with football managers of the highest calibre in Gordon Strachan and Martin O’Neill who have given me, along with my fellow Celtic fans, many, many unforgettable memories.â€

Dr Reid, who has held many of the great offices of state in his political career, announced this month that he would be stepping down as MP for Airdrie and Shotts at the next election. He is a lifelong Celtic fan.

Dr Reid said: “Like every schoolboy who supported Celtic, I always dreamed of pulling on the Hoops and scoring at Celtic Park. I never made it as a player, but this is certainly the next best thing.

“It will be an honour and a privilege not only to take up this position, but also to follow in the footsteps of a man like Brian, whose reputation for integrity, achievement and commitment to Celtic is of the very highest order.

“He has left a proud legacy of sporting and financial success that stands comparison with anyone’s and I am looking forward immensely to continuing those traditions.â€

Dr Reid will replace Mr Quinn in his role of non-executive chairman. The responsibility for running the company will continue to be headed by chief executive Peter Lawwell.

Reid is a dirty ****, sex pest b*stard who used to teach people IRA songs. "You'll like him he is a h**" is what he said when introducing someone to Douglas Alexander.

He is what you'd call a f*n**n b*stard, right up there street!!

Guest orangpendek

coz it makes a mockery of their 'poor little us, the establishment is against us' routine. outside of peter mandelson i rate reid as the man with least ability, yet most self-regard, of the last political generation.

There was a protest by Celtic fans at Parkhead today against Reid the "war criminal" and there is an online petition against him.

Reid and IRA songs:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gG4u4Wy28H0

Reid and sexual harrassment:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/a...in_page_id=1770

what did they do in protest ?

There was a protest by Celtic fans at Parkhead today against Reid the "war criminal" and there is an online petition against him.

Reid and IRA songs:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gG4u4Wy28H0

Reid and sexual harrassment:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/a...in_page_id=1770

what did they do in protest ?

They had one of their bedsheet banners outside - don't know if it was let into the ground. Think they got the spelling right this time. ;)

What's hilarious is that they wouldn't have bothered had bull-face still been the 30 year old, Ph.D holding IRA supporter he was in the 1970s.

I dare say he'll win them over with some well orchestrated comments directed at the easiest target around in Scottish football right now. Just watch and see.

I don't think he is anything much to be concerned about from our point of view, but I am certainly concerned at how a "man" like this gets to such a lofty position in the Government in the first place. Truly frightening.

But so as not to take us off-topic, I don't think he'll have too much influence at Celtic. He's just the face of their operations, where others run things behind the scenes.