Buffel Craves Return

Rohan

BELGIAN star Thomas Buffel is hoping he can force his way back into Walter Smith's top team plans as Rangers enter a massive period in their season.

Buffel was on good form again yesterday in a 3-1 victory over Newcastle United in a closed door game at St James's Park and would love to get back into the big time with the Old Firm game coming up and, of course, the massive Champions League meeting with Barcelona on October 23.

The former Feyenoord man has had a few reserve outings now having fully recovered from knee suregery last season and also came on in the CIS Cup win over East Fife so he believes he can now make an impact.

Buffel has been confirmed as the scorer of the second goal in yesterday's bounce game win over the Magpies despite some confusion that Chris Burke got the touch.

And he feels his versatility can be useful to Walter Smith as the manager plots a successful course in the coming weeks.

He said: "I know I needed a couple of games to get back to my levels of performance but I'm confident I am reaching those levels now.

I would be happy to play anywhere but the Number 10 role (behind the strikers) is probably my best position.

"It's good that I can play in several positions and hopefully the manager can use me in different systems and formations.

"Everybody knows what their own abilities are so it is then a matter of trying to see how that can best help the team.

"The team has done well so far and they have had some great results so at the end of the day that's the most important thing."

Coincidentally, Buffel's last outing at Ibrox was in the 1-1 Old Firm draw back in December last year and he has pronounced himself readyfor next week's derby.

He added: "I've had so many good memories at Ibrox over the years and it would be fantastic if I could add to that this season.

"I would love to play at some part next week as I've not played at home for so long but as always it's down to the manager's decision.

------------------------------------------------

:bouncy: :rangers::clap:

He should be considered, depends on his fitness level, this team would crush Celtc

-------------------------------McGreggor----------------------------------

---Hutton---------------Weir-------Cuellar----------------Papac---------

-----------------------Ferguson-------Hemdani---------------------------

---------Beasley---------------Buffel------------------McCulloch--------

------------------------------Darcheville-----------------------------------

He should be considered, depends on his fitness level, this team would crush Celtc

I like that line up and even if JCD isn't fit you could have Cousin instead.

He annoys me, he always seems desperate to play in the big games.

Aye, it's terrible isn't it :rolleyes:

Sure is. Why should he feel he should be a contender for these games when he hasn't tried a leg in the last 2 years? :blink:

Hasn't tried in two years my hairy arse!

When utilised in his proper position he's a fantastic player.

Does every Rangers player have to run round the park like a horny drunk to prove he is putting in effort?

Buffel is our most creative player, sticking him out on the wing like Eck & PLG persisted with, nullified his game.

potentially our best line up i think

You could play Boyd with that formation. To be honest, Boyd cannot run with the ball or beat players. He is better at finding space and making runs to latch onto passes. As most of us are aware, our midfield really lack creativity but with Buffel behind Boyd, he could create space, make passes to Boyd and just generally assist him.

That is what Boyd needs and I am positive Buffel can deliver that.

Sure is. Why should he feel he should be a contender for these games when he hasn't tried a leg in the last 2 years? :blink:

Does every Rangers player have to run round the park like a horny drunk to prove he is putting in effort?

Buffel is our most creative player, sticking him out on the wing like Eck & PLG persisted with, nullified his game.

I'm not saying he hasn't got the talent, because i think he has. I think its quite clear he doesnt have the heart or the drive that we need. If we could create a player with Buffels ability, Novos heart and JCD's drive and power that would be an incredible force.

And his proper position is?

Boyd wouldn't suit that formation I'm afraid, we need someone with pace for Buffel to feed the ball to.

Boyds best bet is when he has a Prso type player along side him to knock the ball down to his feet.

Cousin, JCD & Naismith should all be picked before Boyd as lone striker

I'm not saying he hasn't got the talent, because i think he has. I think its quite clear he doesnt have the heart or the drive that we need. If we could create a player with Buffels ability, Novos heart and JCD's drive and power that would be an incredible force.

And his proper position is?

Check my formation suggestion out.

That is his best position, play him there and he'll rip defenses to shreds

Too much of a gamble to play him against the tims.

well worth it, Thomson or Ferguson simply don't have the ability to split a defense like Buffel

Let Hemdani and Ferguson get on with the nitty gritty in the middle and allow Buffel to work his magic

Prefer to start Gow than Buffel. Buffel has wasted too many chances before and Gow has not even had one and he Gow is playing well and scoring in these fringe/reserve games.

Gow hasn't been playing well in the reserves or bounce games.

Buffel has been outstanding, and that's coming back from an injury.

Play Buffel in the correct position and let the man do his stuff

Prefer to start Gow than Buffel. Buffel has wasted too many chances before and Gow has not even had one and he Gow is playing well and scoring in these fringe/reserve games.

The official site report said he scored and played well vs Newcastle.

Too much of a gamble to play him against the tims.

well worth it, Thomson or Ferguson simply don't have the ability to split a defense like Buffel

Let Hemdani and Ferguson get on with the nitty gritty in the middle and allow Buffel to work his magic

The guy hasn't played 1st team football for near enough a year. I would rather see Naismith up front with JCD or Cousin.

You could play Boyd with that formation. To be honest, Boyd cannot run with the ball or beat players. He is better at finding space and making runs to latch onto passes. As most of us are aware, our midfield really lack creativity but with Buffel behind Boyd, he could create space, make passes to Boyd and just generally assist him.

That is what Boyd needs and I am positive Buffel can deliver that.

Thats spot on, far more attacking flair than we tend to put out. I dont think we can say for sure that Boyd cant do that job until we actually see him in this kind of line up.

Maybe I am more adventurous, but, imagine with Beasley on the Left and Naismith on the right? That would be fun! And, Naismith of course has done well against them in the past ;)

I believe you are correct. (tu)

This is an absaloute shocker of the highest order !!

At home to Celtic (who are without dought the wordt Celtic side i've seen in years) and are all WANTING to play 4-5-1 i mean WTF is going on ??? Let me ask this, do you think ANY team in Europe will be playing 5 in midfield when they face Celtic at home? (that includes any wee diddy team they might get in the Uefa should they manage a miracle)

Answer: Not a chance in hell .................... So why the hell are we ??

This whole negative vibe is exactly the reason we were beat by Hibs at the weekend. Now i understand playing 4-5-1 away in Europe and maybe on the odd accation at home in europe but NOT when we are playing the Scum at Ibrox.. Get Hemdani oot, drop Thomson, play Buffel and Fergie in the middle with McCulloch and Beasley either side and get Boyd and either Cousin or Darchville up front...

Bin this 4-5-1 nonsense NOW !!

The official site report said he scored and played well vs Newcastle.

I've watched some of the games, Gow has been inconsistant, and poor on a couple of occasions

I want it to work out for Gow as he's a smashing lad but Rangers may prove to be too big a club for him

Buffel and Burke for that matter have been superb, Smith said he'd give everyone their chance.

I'm confident if Buffel is played in his ideal position he wont let us down

This is an absaloute shocker of the highest order !!

At home to Celtic (who are without dought the wordt Celtic side i've seen in years) and are all WANTING to play 4-5-1 i mean WTF is going on ??? Let me ask this, do you think ANY team in Europe will be playing 5 in midfield when they face Celtic at home? (that includes any wee diddy team they might get in the Uefa should they manage a miracle)

Answer: Not a chance in hell .................... So why the hell are we ??

This whole negative vibe is exactly the reason we were beat by Hibs at the weekend. Now i understand playing 4-5-1 away in Europe and maybe on the odd accation at home in europe but NOT when we are playing the Scum at Ibrox.. Get Hemdani oot, drop Thomson, play Buffel and Fergie in the middle with McCulloch and Beasley either side and get Boyd and either Cousin or Darchville up front...

Bin this 4-5-1 nonsense NOW !!

Take a long hard look at it

4-2-3-1

Quite an attacking formation infact