*** Football Manager 2008 Thread ***

Jiggaman88

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its only september and darcheville has scored 15 goals all comps for me, scoring 8 goals in 2 different games :o

and i might have just created the best formation ever

Darcheville

Beasley

Diaby Ferguson

Hoyte --- Thomson --- Hutton

Broadfoot --- Webster

Cuellar

Mcgregor

Ive got hutton and hoyte bombing down the wings, the diaby thomson ferguson midfield triangle is amazing going forward and beasley and darcheville offer great pace in the attack, defence copes well aswell. Drew 1-1 with chelsea at stamford bridge in the champs league with it and thought id try it at home and beat aberdeen 2-0 outplaying them from start to finish, first time ive done it this season tbh.

who the hell is this character :craphead:

shoes.png

How do you guys watch the game ?

Text, key highlights, extended ?

Does anyone always watch, or has ever watched, the full game option ? Does it actually last 90 minutes ?!

And another tactical question !

How do you guys set up your team/individuals in terms of closing down/pressing ?

Particularly with regards to centre backs. (tu)

Is there any disadvantage to closing down in the games, besides tiredness ? Can it mean that your players are caught out of position ?

well i do the highlights bit and i watch it closely, cause u can suss out whos playign well and who isn't and u can sub accordingly! like players beat otherp layers etc means he is playing well and if a striker is missing alot of chance he usually wontr score that game so i usually sub him.

and for the closing down, i look at my scouts report on the team i am facing and i always set my team to press the dangerman and close him down and always try to get him on his weaker foot if he has a good shot.

yeh players can, so dont give the closing down to too many players, only really the dangerman and utility man in Midfield, the rest u just leave on none. sometimes if the keeper is crap(which is very rare because they all seem amazing in this) u can set closing down on the keeper to pressurize him if he gets a passback etc, sometimes he hesistates.

i shud really take time to read the scout report :lol:, sometimes i just fly past it without looking but it really is useful

my current team is

Lehmann

Sagna Gallas Toure Traore/Del Horno

Arteta Fabregas GIlberto Silva/Riquelme/Piatti/Diarra Mihelic/Martinez Fernandez/Del Piero

Bendtner/Adebayor/Eduardo/Koevernnans Huntelaar

just qualfied from my champions league group with 2 games left. drew 1-1 at stamford bridge, 3-2 against psv at ibrox, and two 1-0 wins against toulouse. although chelsea are 2 points behind atm, i think i can qualify first! and im 5 points clear in the league. this formation of mine is kicking it at the moment

just qualfied from my champions league group with 2 games left. drew 1-1 at stamford bridge, 3-2 against psv at ibrox, and two 1-0 wins against toulouse. although chelsea are 2 points behind atm, i think i can qualify first! and im 5 points clear in the league. this formation of mine is kicking it at the moment

Have you been quite ruthless with your squad when you started, in terms of selling off players to re-invest with your own buys ?

Or did you pretty much start off with what you were given ?

I've just started a game as Rangers, I'm not that far into it yet. I find the squad is full of a lot of decent players, but not really the type that I would buy myself. Thinking of punting the likes of Hemdani, Adam and Burke to give myself more funds. Or on the other hand, I might just sit tight with what I have and give them all a chance until January........not sure :unsure:

What did you do ? (tu)

Have you been quite ruthless with your squad when you started, in terms of selling off players to re-invest with your own buys ?

Or did you pretty much start off with what you were given ?

I've just started a game as Rangers, I'm not that far into it yet. I find the squad is full of a lot of decent players, but not really the type that I would buy myself. Thinking of punting the likes of Hemdani, Adam and Burke to give myself more funds. Or on the other hand, I might just sit tight with what I have and give them all a chance until January........not sure :unsure:

What did you do ? (tu)

first off, i brought in loan players, went straight to player search and put a filter on the listed for loan players. picked up routledge, diaby, hoyte, samaras. I sold Papac and hemdani. Samaras Ive sent back because ive got quite a lot of strikers capable of doing a job and ive only got Darcheville upfront on his own so theres no point in too many strikers, espec with novo unhappy at not getting a fair chance. I spent a lot of money on young lulinha which i regret because i aint getting him til end of season and hes pure potential, i also brought in another left back for when hoyte leaves and while steven is out injured.

im in november now and im looking at lots of players whos contract will be up at the end of the season and tracking them for the timebeing.

ive got players like buffel/burke/adam/cousin/mcculloch struggling to get onto the bench at times

What system are you playing ? I usually stick with 4-4-2 (or 4-1-4-1 against tougher opposition).

Although in past games, usually when playing with other sides and not Rangers, I've found that going to a back 3 with wingbacks can work quite well (although I hate that system in real life !).

Also, out of interest, what passing type and tempo are you playing ? I usually try and play short and fast, but I'm starting to wonder whether that's too ambitious, and whether I should be playing short and normal for domestic games, and short and slow for europe.

in most games now, im playing this formation

Darcheville

Beasley

Diaby --- Feguson

Licht - Thomson - Hutton

Broadfoot Webster

Cuellar

Mcgregor

Beasley is my playmaker on a free role, darcheville my targetman with supply set to run onto. focus passing through the middle, diaby ferguson thomson going forward create a great passing movement to get past players its brilliant to watch and effective. licht and hutton offer great pace and are set to run forward and will run back and forward all day and if players get behind them, theyve got 3 defenders and thomson to get past.

heres what options ive got set on and they work great

tactics.png

Cheers Eck, looks good (tu)

For individuals, to what extent do you tell your centre backs to close down, if at all ?

And for time wasting, if you are playing an SPL match, do you still put the time wasting slider up ? Would it not just give you less time to beat a team that are probably happy for a draw ? Or is it do with upsetting their rhythum and saving the energy of your players ?

i only time waste in the last 10 minutes if im only one goal ahead, otherwise i leave it.

for defenders. they are on mentality - 4, defensive. closing down - 4, own area. the 2 centrebacks in front of cuellar are set to tight marking. whilst they all have forward runs to rarely

just started a game with spurs sitting 4th 1 point behind arsenal, 7 off chelsea, signed modric, hamsik, mhelic, fleck, mccarthy boy from hamilton, mhelic and saviet

got breno and lulhina coming when they are 18

funny thing its just end of december and liverpool have sacked benietez lol

just starting my 3rd season at rangers got a new 2 year contract but had to ask the board to give me it but now i have no fixture list but my reserve team has. Anyone else have the same problem? and if so can you continue to play and fixtures will appear or will i have to download the patch and start again

I usually go Rangers, but decided to go Harrogate in the Blue Square North !

21 games into the league season, and I've only lost once. But I've had 10 draws too, so I'm only sitting in 3rd spot, with only one automatic promotion place up for grabs (and the top side are 10 points in front).

Enjoying it though, a good challenge. I think I might try and see how far I can take them, but I've heard that it's more difficult to promote teams up the leagues in the new FM, than it was in past games. So I might just end up looking to 'job hop', and look for other job opportunities with better clubs.

Defence is becoming a shambles, can't stop conceding. Usually play a normal defensive line, but my defenders are quite slow and positionally poor, so I've had games where I've decided to drop deep......but without success. Thinking of changing to a back 3 with wing backs to try and stop the rot !