Scotland vs Italy - Official Thread

Jasper

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The really poor thing about the group is the fixture list. Even after Saturdays games, depending on what happens both Italy and France have another wee bite at the cherry on Wednesday, knowing fine well what they have to do if things dont go their way at the weekend. Pile o shite if you ask me.

The fixtures and their dates and times were decided just after the draw had been made. Even the SFA had no idea we'd still have a chance come this date.

And we know what we have to do anyway, win and we're through. Draw we need to rely on FI, or Ukraine, to win, anything else, we're out. Simple.

What we all think the team al be? Am goin as follows...

Gordon

Hutton

Weir

McManus

Naysmith

Brown

Fletcher

Ferguson

Hartley

McCulloch

McFadden

You might be right, but I'd take Hartley out and have Miller playing instead, even though it might end up that McFadden is on the bench! :craphead:

win, lose or draw, we have a national side to be proud of now. we have moved up 73 places in the rankings in the space of just 3 years. we may not qualify for euro 2008, but i am very confident we will qualify for world cup 2010. the georgia game means nothing now, no point thinking about that, we could have won that game and still not qualified for euro 2008. the important game was always the italian game, we knew we'd have to get something out of this game and it is much better to go for the win than the draw.

BUT

out of all the teams that we would need a win against, the italians are probably the side to avoid. they are the masters of getting a result when they need it and if their top players are on song, im afraid we are in for a tough evening. but its one game and anything can happen! we have won all our home games so far and whos to say we cant make it a 100% home record? the pressure is all on the italians. they know that if they lose, there is a chance they wont go to euro 2008 and how embarrasing would it be for them as they are the world champions?

if we fail to qualify then there is no shame in finishing just behind the world cup winners and runners up(i mean who expected us to qualify anyway?). but if we qualify then it would be one of the greatest achievements by the national side!

my prediction: my head says 1-1, but my heart says a 1-0 win.

MON THE SCOTLAND!!

Wasn't going to start a separate thread about this as there are all of these wee niggling Scotland threads kicking about, but read today that we still have a chance of being in the top seeded pots for the draw for the World Cup.

It all boils down to us beating Italy and if Croatia beat England. :rolleyes:

Wasn't going to start a separate thread about this as there are all of these wee niggling Scotland threads kicking about, but read today that we still have a chance of being in the top seeded pots for the draw for the World Cup.

how many points are we behind england? surely we'd get a lot more points for beating italy, than they would for beating croatia?

any idea who the ref is?

whoever italy bribe the most :craphead:

:rolleyes:

One shouldn't be surprised, whatever you or I may think, Calcio's reputation is going further downhill at the moment faster than David Beckham after this:

believe it or not boab, football violence in italy has actually improved over the last 4 years - that is according to gabriele marcotti. he says violence was a lot worse 4 years ago and things have improved.

I don't just mean the violence but there's calciopoli, the passport scandal, the Juve drugs scandal of years past and its a real shame.

believe it or not boab, football violence in italy has actually improved over the last 4 years - that is according to gabriele marcotti. he says violence was a lot worse 4 years ago and things have improved.

I don't just mean the violence but there's calciopoli, the passport scandal, the Juve drugs scandal of years past and its a real shame.

there was nothing wrong with that, the drugs wer legal

match fixing and referee bribing in italy has been going on for years, this isnt anything new. read "a history of italian football", theres a section on this and its a very interesting read.

Which book, I've got two? :craphead:

John Foot or Paddy Agnew?

This whole 'turmoil' thing with Italian football doesn't rub off on me. They went through a mess of match fixing and the top team being relegated and needed to do some serious soul searching...then within a few weeks had won the world cup.

how many points are we behind england? surely we'd get a lot more points for beating italy, than they would for beating croatia?

Here is a quote from today's Evening Times.

Now if we can overcome world champions Italy at Hampden on Saturday and England lose to Croatia next week then we will jump above them.

That would also see us go into the top group of seeds - instead of Steve McClaren's flops - in next month's qualifying draw for the World Cup in South Africa.

Scotland will reach 1,149 points if they win the showdown with Roberto Donadoni's side on Saturday.

And if ninth-placed England, who currently have 1,137 points, even draw with Croatia, who are ranked above them in eighth spot, we will move ahead of the Auld Enemy.

Romania could still throw a spanner in the works. They are in 10th place on 1,086 points and still have qualifying games against Albania and Bulgaria to play.

However, they have already qualified for Euro 2008 and are expected to field experimental sides in both of those matches.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa..._the_way_up.php