Ally says he wants trophies

Boab

ALLY McCOIST admits he will only be satisfied with the job he is doing as Rangers' assistant manager when the club starts winning trophies again.

It is almost one year since the Light Blues' record scorer came back to Ibrox as part of returning manager Walter Smith's coaching staff.

In that time, the squad Smith inherited has been transformed and after a poor start to last season, the recovery in the second half of the campaign has continued this term.

McCoist, also famed for his infectious personality, has played a key role in leading Gers to a position where they could go top of the SPL if they win their games in hand.

But he maintains he won't be totally happy with the progress being made until Rangers have silverware to show for their efforts.

McCoist won a clutch of medals in 15 years as a player at Ibrox. In that time, the club claimed 10 league titles, nine League Cups and three Scottish Cups.

Yet it is now two-and-a-half years since the Govan outfit emerged victorious from a competition and the 45-year-old is looking for a swift return to the glory days.

He said: "I think most people see the jovial, carefree character and that's fine with me.Rangers News out now!

"But the folk who know me best - my ex-team-mates and managers - are well aware that winning is important to me. In fact, it is just about everything to me.

"That is the ethic we have to install in this Rangers team. We have winners in the side and we have to help them progress.

"As a coach, you are always learning and to get the opportunity of working at a place like this is fantastic.

"I want to be the best I can be and I certainly hope I'm heading in the right direction. When we start winning championships and cups, that is when I will be a happy man."

YOU CAN READ THE FULL INTERVIEW WITH ALLY McCOIST IN THE SPECIAL 100-PAGE CHRISTMAS EDITION OF RANGERS NEWS.

IT ALSO INCLUDES FEATURES WITH KRIS BOYD, STEVEN NAISMITH AND ERIK BO ANDERSEN AND IS OUT NOW PRICED JUST £2.95!

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1194486,00.html

Except for the SPL there is only the mickey mouse cups...CIS & SC

The league is of course of major importance, the only one we will accept

But after two trophyless years, don't underestimate the physcological benefits we could gain from winning the CIS