Thomas Buffel Fears Reserve Role With Rangers

OlegKuznetsov

The contradiction is that he should want a game but never admit to it.

I do find that strange.

No, I didn't say he couldn't admit it. I just said we've heard him mention it enough already so I'd much prefer he did his talking on the park now.

That goes for any player who repeats the same crap ad nauseum.

What I find strange are people who want to defend a player who wants to breed further negativity and division ahead of a extremely tough league run in.

How is "wanting a game" negative?

He even said he thought his chances were limited because the team was playing well.

Should he refuse to answer such questions at press conferences, or refer journalists to his earlier remarks, like an MP does?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That implies there was a time he didn't want to play for us. Do you have evidence of that?

His attitude and performances more or less from the day he arrived up till when he regaind fitness a few months ago, thats enough evidence

How many times has he or his agent came out and spoke about this. It's getting boring. Smith obviously does not want to play him, end of.

He'll just have to keep working away in training and get his move it the summer. Sometimes life can be a bitch, you just have to get on with it.

He even said he thought his chances were limited because the team was playing well.

Should he refuse to answer such questions at press conferences, or refer journalists to his earlier remarks, like an MP does?

Are you being obtuse deliberately? :D

For the last time, I think repeating himself continually over his own personal negative situation does no-one - least of himself - any favours.

If he is asked the question he can quite easily give a 'no-comment' as many players and managers do at almost every press conference about a range of subjects. He can refer them back to his previous answers if he really doesn't want to be seen as dodging a question.

Because he doesn't do this, the same issue crops up time after time, then we have several threads about the situation often resulting in allegations of our manager being a liar, allegations of a fall-out between the player and manager and allegations of the player not trying hard enough. All that is negative.

That implies there was a time he didn't want to play for us. Do you have evidence of that?

His attitude and performances more or less from the day he arrived up till when he regaind fitness a few months ago, thats enough evidence

One of the very few first team squad players I have seen who has shown a committed, hard working attitude while playing in reserve games.

One of the very few first team squad players I have seen who has shown a committed, hard working attitude while playing in reserve games.

Someone should have told him its first team he needs to have shown it, he seems to be an arse from elbow player

I don't see any evidence for your points whatsoever.

How many times has he or his agent came out and spoke about this. It's getting boring. Smith obviously does not want to play him, end of.

He'll just have to keep working away in training and get his move it the summer. Sometimes life can be a bitch, you just have to get on with it.

Not that many.

Are you being obtuse deliberately? :D

For the last time, I think repeating himself continually over his own personal negative situation does no-one - least of himself - any favours.

If he is asked the question he can quite easily give a 'no-comment' as many players and managers do at almost every press conference about a range of subjects. He can refer them back to his previous answers if he really doesn't want to be seen as dodging a question.

Because he doesn't do this, the same issue crops up time after time, then we have several threads about the situation often resulting in allegations of our manager being a liar, allegations of a fall-out between the player and manager and allegations of the player not trying hard enough. All that is negative.

It's not obtuse at all.

Saying "No comment" would raise more issues in the press and conspiracy theorists. Can't you see that?

He's not responsible for fans' interpretation of his words. There would be posts about him regardless. Negativity by some posters towards Walter is a separate issue.

Someone should have told him its first team he needs to have shown it, he seems to be an arse from elbow player

That is the point! He wants to play in the first team and has been fit for months but is not getting the chance. Burke, for example, could not be bothered in the reserves but was given the chance.

'

It's not obtuse at all.

Saying "No comment" would raise more issues in the press and conspiracy theorists. Can't you see that?

He's not responsible for fans' interpretation of his words. There would be posts about him regardless. Negativity by some posters towards Walter is a separate issue.

How would it raise more issues? He could refer them to his earlier quotes and also suggest he'd prefer they concentrated on more positive things. It's not difficult.

By not doing so and by continuing to bore us with his personal grievances, it breeds negativity.

Why not say when asked, "Everyone is already aware of my personal situation at the club but I'd rather concentrate on the team playing well under my manager's good work. I look forward to being part of that if I continue my hard work and decent form in the useful reserve set up - at the same time helping out the younger guys there."

That's positive and that kind of attitude would endear me to him. Moaning again after his agent has already done so doesn't.

That is the point! He wants to play in the first team and has been fit for months but is not getting the chance. Burke, for example, could not be bothered in the reserves but was given the chance.

I think TB should be given a chance but I think he has told Walter what he thinks of his running of the club in some way and he has seriously upset him

Faye hasn't been playing though. He's only been in the squad on occasion because he offers defensive midfield cover. As such it's unfair to suggest Buffel could do that.

Similarly, those that suggest Buffel should be playing ahead of Burke or Adam are incorrect. We all know Buffel is nowhere near as effective in wider areas and that's where they have been playing (despite their patchy form).

Quite simply Buffel prefers the 'hole' position and our system currently can't account for such a player. That's unfortunate for Buffel but until the team stops winning, he's going to find it hard to persuade Smith into changing our style and personnel any more than he has to.

We all know Buffel can be an effective player when utilised correctly and when on form. With the number of games coming up, I'm pretty sure he'll play again regularly at some point. When he does it's up to him to show his critics and is manager that he deserves a regular spot.

Until then he should refrain from the same tedious moaning and get behind his colleagues and manager as we look to win some trophies.

Faye hasn't been playing though. He's only been in the squad on occasion because he offers defensive midfield cover. As such it's unfair to suggest Buffel could do that.

Similarly, those that suggest Buffel should be playing ahead of Burke or Adam are incorrect. We all know Buffel is nowhere near as effective in wider areas and that's where they have been playing (despite their patchy form).

Quite simply Buffel prefers the 'hole' position and our system currently can't account for such a player. That's unfortunate for Buffel but until the team stops winning, he's going to find it hard to persuade Smith into changing our style and personnel any more than he has to.

We all know Buffel can be an effective player when utilised correctly and when on form. With the number of games coming up, I'm pretty sure he'll play again regularly at some point. When he does it's up to him to show his critics and is manager that he deserves a regular spot.

Until then he should refrain from the same tedious moaning and get behind his colleagues and manager as we look to win some trophies.

Sorry mate, but you've got a few things wrong there.

Firstly, Buffel can play in both wide positions and does for his national side. Furthermore, he would be better than Adam for work rate, tracking back and linking up with others. Adam only tries long balls and shots and is sluggish in both possession and tackling. Buffel nips in and wins the ball. He also has pace that Adam could only dream of.

Burke isn't as good as Buffel overall.

Also, in the case of Faye, we have lost both matches that he started. I'd have preferred for Ferguson to drop back alongside Hemdani or Thomson, and play Buffel as the forward thinking midfielder. I'm certain that this would have lead to two victories instead of defeats.

Remember that Ferguson has been playing virtually "in the hole" for the last few games.

Well, I watched Buffel play quite a lot for Rangers in the wider roles and I've hardly ever seen him have a good game there. Indeed, many of his backers suggest his bad form (and resultant dropping from the team) was because of him being played out of position there far too often before his most recent injury problems. He also received a lot of criticism from supporters because his work-rate and tracking back was poor.

I'm comfortable that Walter Smith knows who offers more in the regard - be it Burke or Adam. He knows their qualities much better than any of us.

I've previously suggested Buffel could be brought in to allow Ferguson to play deeper but recently, and in the last few games you mention, we've been playing 4-4-2 as opposed the 4-5-1 parent we've used for most of this season which is why Buffel has struggled to get into the team.

His best position is behind the frontman, he can play wide but its not his game and he's inconsistent there. Playing occaisionally for his country there is all well and good, but week in week out he would suffer.

We saw flashes of what he can do when he burst past Balde to nutmeg the keepr at Ibrox and thread the ball thru for Lovenkrands to equalise against Inter. Thats where he is at his best.

I just feel that for once we actually have the personnel to make his system work on a regular basis, and we can get back to the free-flowing attacking football we all crave.

On the appearance suggestion;

From the Rangers website:

Buffel has made: including as sub,

League-62

Cup- 4

Cis- 6

Europe-12

Unless the landmark appearance clause has a strange number, I do not think that is the reason why he is not picked.

Yeah, a few of my mates were looking at that too. Derek Johnstone (I know, I know) mentioned 75 appearances, and if speculation is correct and domestic cups dont count then he is on 74.

75 isnt a strange number of appearances to trigger a clause either, for example Benjani's transfer to Man City from Portsmouth happened for just shy of £4M, but when he makes 75 appearances it rises to almost £8M - staggering.

This could've all been put to bed ages ago about TB - sadly speculation rules where facts are scarce.

i doubt he will ever play for us again which is a shame. For a start despite his talent no one is going to offer more than £1m for him as he wont have played much competitive footy for more than a year. Pisses me off when crap players like charlie adam get in the team when buffel cant even make the bench. We could talk about buffels inconsistancy all night but even if he had one good game in every 4 at least he had a fecking good game.

His best position is behind the frontman, he can play wide but its not his game and he's inconsistent there. Playing occaisionally for his country there is all well and good, but week in week out he would suffer.

We saw flashes of what he can do when he burst past Balde to nutmeg the keepr at Ibrox and thread the ball thru for Lovenkrands to equalise against Inter. Thats where he is at his best.

I just feel that for once we actually have the personnel to make his system work on a regular basis, and we can get back to the free-flowing attacking football we all crave.

Great goal that one against the scum.

Darcheville, Naismith and Cousin could all be great options in front of him.

I certainly don't think he'd be worse than Adam on the wide left... anything but!

i doubt he will ever play for us again which is a shame. For a start despite his talent no one is going to offer more than £1m for him as he wont have played much competitive footy for more than a year. Pisses me off when crap players like charlie adam get in the team when buffel cant even make the bench. We could talk about buffels inconsistancy all night but even if he had one good game in every 4 at least he had a fecking good game.

As far as I know, Cologne weren't willing to pay any fee.

As far as I know, Cologne weren't willing to pay any fee.

That's correct (tu)

League-62

Cup- 4

Cis- 6

Europe-12

Unless the landmark appearance clause has a strange number, I do not think that is the reason why he is not picked.

Yeah, a few of my mates were looking at that too. Derek Johnstone (I know, I know) mentioned 75 appearances, and if speculation is correct and domestic cups dont count then he is on 74.

75 isnt a strange number of appearances to trigger a clause either, for example Benjani's transfer to Man City from Portsmouth happened for just shy of £4M, but when he makes 75 appearances it rises to almost £8M - staggering.

This could've all been put to bed ages ago about TB - sadly speculation rules where facts are scarce.

Even if this so called apperance fee is true (which i doubt) I imagine it's not going to be any more than £250k. With the fact that we have received almost £12M in transfers over that past few weeks (asuming the Cousin deal goes through) I think its a joke that we would keep such a potentially influential player rotting in the reserves. As much as i'm fully behind Walter Smith I think that he has a personal problem with both Boyd and Buffel for what ever reason and that why he choses NOT to play them.

League-62

Cup- 4

Cis- 6

Europe-12

Even if this so called apperance fee is true (which i doubt) I imagine it's not going to be any more than £250k. With the fact that we have received almost £12M in transfers over that past few weeks (asuming the Cousin deal goes through) I think its a joke that we would keep such a potentially influential player rotting in the reserves. As much as i'm fully behind Walter Smith I think that he has a personal problem with both Boyd and Buffel for what ever reason and that why he choses NOT to play them.

Im not saying the reported clause is the sole reason for Buffel's ommission (and it's £300,000 apparently) of course its not - Smith just doesn't fancy him.

But if he is trying to off load him, perhaps he isn't then going to "waste" 300k playing him....but then not playing him lessens the chance of him being picked up. <cr>

The way I see it is there has to be something seriously wrong for him to not even merit a slot on the bench in certain games - U21 rule or not. Even if it was a personality clash, Walter would be cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Perhaps money is the root of the issue, who knows?

I've given up caring - Buffel has no future at Ibrox, I'm resigned to that.

I dont agree with it but i accept it.

League-62

Cup- 4

Cis- 6

Europe-12

Yep. If nobody wants to pay a fee for him and we're stuck with him for the remaining 18 months of his contract at £17k/pw, then playing him, perhaps nearer the end of the season, is a good option. Spend an extra £250-300k to get £1m+, is a good deal.