Fergie's Recent Performances as Capt.

Guest gersandproud

Guest gersandproud

Am I alone in thinking that Fergies performances as a captain this season have been very poor - even by his own standards ???

Now before anyone acccuses me of jumping on the bandwagon I'd like to say that I've posted my reservations on this at least a month ago - long before any of the current hoo ha ha raised it's head.

IMHO captaincy qualities have been sadly lacking throughout this season -

Now I'm able to concede that Fergie has at least had better players around him in the past and therefore has probably looked a better captain because of this - but quite frankly the will to win & use that will to spur on your team mates around you has been as much the culprit in creating this season from hell as almost any other contributing factor.

Ferguson has been our best player this season.

What we all forget in this debate is that a good captain is a leader of men and not necessarily the man with the armband. Some pivotal moments of RFC's history were delivered by those with leadership abilities, not the captaincy.

BF is not a leader of men, he has not lived up to his own billing, he is part and parcel of a laddish culture that sneers at hard work, professionalism and technique.

He should not be Captain (td) .

Ferguson has been our best player this season.

What we all forget in this debate is that a good captain is a leader of men and not necessarily the man with the armband. Some pivotal moments of RFC's history were delivered by those with leadership abilities, not the captaincy.

BF is not a leader of men, he has not lived up to his own billing, he is part and parcel of a laddish culture that sneers at hard work, professionalism and technique.

Tend to agree with your last sentiment, Should not be Captain, Was there not rumours of Stefan Klos saying the same to Alex Mcleish :unsure::unsure:

Curious thread. Up till the chaos at the start of the year, many bears considered him a born Rangers captain and the only player worthy of the jersey recently.

How times change...

Guest gersandproud
Curious thread. Up till the chaos at the start of the year, many bears considered him a born Rangers captain and the only player worthy of the jersey recently.

How times change...

So what's your verdict Danny ?? (apart from curious thread) BF good or bad captain ?

I believe previous posters above,have accuratley separated his playing ability & his abilities as captain. They've also made the point that he's been the best of bad bunch in the current team. -

However as I stated earlier I think he looked a better captain in the past - but that may have been down to better players around him -

I also take the point that our worst area on the park has been our defence - (something that would have been even worse if we'd had a forward as captain such as Prso)

Remember the days when we had a number of " captains" on the pitch, guys who moaned,bullied,cajoled their fellow players into giving more, (just like Barry Ferguson does) and we applauded them for doing so. For example, Gough, Brown, Ian Ferguson in the same team. Amo.Numan and Ferguson were natural "captains"

I can go back to my childhood and name a team containing, Bobby Shearer, George Young, Harold Davis, Sammy Baird, guys who would not have put up with the lack of passion or fight that our present team has shown and who would have had a lot of our present squad either in hospital or running to their mothers.

Every good team needs a moaner and as much as I detest Lennon and his style of play, he makes his team work.

All in all, I cannot understand the flak that Barry is getting for doing what all of us should and many of us want and expected him to do!

no a series of incompetent performances as c aptain

a couple of seasons of ineffectual leadership as captain

a number of examples of unprofessional conduct

these are the reasons why 666 is increasingly being viewed as unfit to be captain

You can only lead the players the manager puts on the park. If they're not up to it then what is a captain supposed to do.

Am I alone in thinking that Fergies performances as a captain this season have been very poor - even by his own standards  ???

Now before anyone acccuses me of jumping on the bandwagon I'd like to say that I've posted my reservations on this at least a month ago - long before any of the current hoo ha ha raised it's head. 

Now I'm able to concede that Fergie has at least had better players around him in the past and therefore has probably looked a better captain because of this - but quite frankly the will to win & use that will to spur on your team mates around you has been as much the culprit in creating this season from hell as almost any other contributing factor.

I too question his attitude as captain of RFC....It is an absolute privelage to be captain and although we only know things mostly through the media I have to say he has let the club down with his attitude or if you want to call it altitude... he thinks he is above everybody maybe.

He should never wash his dirty linen in public and I think Boydies reaction confirmed that after his gaol the other week

Just one more example of Murrays mis-management....this is the man who said he visited the dressing rooom several times during Ecks time and he had to do it when PLG was there in order to get some discipline etc

As I mentioned a couple of days ago maybe no kunt listens to Murray coz they also think that he is a feckin clown.

And I'm assuming you're on the training ground every day to know this?

Paper talk mate. You won't find one person at the club at the moment who would say this. PLG was full of sour grapes when he left and I find some of his claims to be frivelous to the point of the ridiculous.

As Danny said, a year ago when Fergie was dragging this team through the Champions League, marking players like Riquelme out of games (with one good ankle) noone had fuck all bad to say then.

IF we need to relieve Fergie of the captaincy for a while, I'd recommend Dado. Hard working and a character in the changing rooms, personally I think he's the one player of 'legend' status at the club at the moment.

However, people NEED to get off Fergie's back.

Am I alone in thinking that Fergies performances as a captain this season have been very poor - even by his own standards? ???

Now before anyone acccuses me of jumping on the bandwagon I'd like to say that I've posted my reservations on this at least a month ago - long before any of the current hoo ha ha raised it's head.?

I too question his attitude as captain of RFC....It is an absolute privelage to be captain and although we only know things mostly through the media I have to say he has let the club down with his attitude or if you want to call it altitude... he thinks he is above everybody maybe.

He should never wash his dirty linen in public and I think Boydies reaction confirmed that after his gaol the other week

Just one more example of Murrays mis-management....this is the man who said he visited the dressing rooom several times during Ecks time and he had to do it when PLG was there in order to get some discipline etc

As I mentioned a couple of days ago maybe no kunt listens to Murray coz they also think that he is a feckin clown.

doh "no 1 listens to Murray cos they all think he is a feckin clown" doh When he went into the dressing room we got a reaction from the players and results were lookin up again!! If no1 was listening to him then the players wouldnt be at the club

Am I alone in thinking that Fergies performances as a captain this season have been very poor - even by his own standards? ???

Now before anyone acccuses me of jumping on the bandwagon I'd like to say that I've posted my reservations on this at least a month ago - long before any of the current hoo ha ha raised it's head.?

doh "no 1 listens to Murray cos they all think he is a feckin clown" doh When he went into the dressing room we got a reaction from the players and results were lookin up again!! If no1 was listening to him then the players wouldnt be at the club

It didnt last long eh..they were back to their old ways 2 weeks later....get real for feck sake thats a fact Ive just pointed out and no one can deny that point, we all saw it.

He fecks off tae France and they all start shafting PLG..Its a feckin disgrace !!!!

He will never be fit to be Rangers captain as long as he moans at his team mates. A good captain will where necessary have a quite word or in some cases give a right royal roasting to a player who isnt performing. BF just seems to moan and point.

Good player

Bad captain

He will never be fit to be Rangers captain as long as he moans at his team mates. A good captain will where necessary have a quite word or in some cases give a right royal roasting to a player who isnt performing. BF just seems to moan and point.

Good player

Bad captain

This is an easy one to answer.

Roy Keane.

He wasn't sweetness and light and DID moan and point at nearly everyone for next to nothing occasionally.

Fucking rotten person, but one of the best captains I've seen.

Good player

Bad captain

Roy Keane.

He wasn't sweetness and light and DID moan and point at nearly everyone for next to nothing occasionally.

Dont think you can compare the two. As much as I hate the scumbag he was head and shoulders above BF as a player and a captain (in his MU days). RK did moan a lot but it was mostly to the officials. If he was having a go at his team mates it was usually a full blown rant which most of the time was justified.

Good player

Bad captain

Roy Keane.

Dont think you can compare the two. As much as I hate the scumbag he was head and shoulders above BF as a player and a captain (in his MU days). RK did moan a lot but it was mostly to the officials. If he was having a go at his team mates it was usually a full blown rant which most of the time was justified.

I can understand you're point of view, he was a better captain than Fergie but I think their styles are similar.

I think this Rangers team needs more of a Tony Adams/Richard Gough type captain though, a father figure the younger players can rely on. And a brilliant centre back to boot!

Good player

Bad captain

Roy Keane.

I can understand you're point of view, he was a better captain than Fergie but I think their styles are similar.

I think this Rangers team needs more of a Tony Adams/Richard Gough type captain though, a father figure the younger players can rely on. And a brilliant centre back to boot!

Yeh fair pont. The MU tam that RK captained was full of established stars who needed a rocket from time to time whereas Rangers squad just now is quite young and requires a bit of compassion and guidance.