4-4-2 today

ScotBear

I prefer 4-5-1, but I'm not even making this post to declare that it's the better formation due to us dropping points today. Although it is worth noting that it's the first points we've dropped in the league for what......13 games or so ?

What I'm wanting to point out though is that Dundee United were the better side today, at the very least they matched us. The quality of our football was very poor, we struggled in midfield and our 3 goals came from a set piece, a linesman not flagging for offside and a suicide backpass. Basically, we didn't create or score chances through an improved standard in quality.

We've also played 4-4-2 against Hearts (4-2 defeat) and Motherwell (1-1 draw) this season, for example.

Now again, I'm not making this post to start a 4-5-1 is better than 4-4-2 debate. But what I can't understand is when fans declare that playing 4-4-2 WILL lead to better results and WILL lead to better performances. When the reality in front of our very eyes this season, and in past seasons, is that no, it doesn't necessarily mean that at all.

So to sum up, another message particularly with those boo boys from Thursday night in mind........stop trying to convince yourselves that you know better than Walter and acting as if he should be locked up with a straightjacket on for actually holding the belief that playing his favoured system will in fact get us results.......as it has been doing all season.

Changing to 4-4-2 won't improve us. Buying better players in the summer will improve us.

it doesnt matter what formation we play, if we play poorly we will drop points.

You could say its no coincidence that we have dropped points playing 4-4-2 more than 4-5-1 but it's impossible to say thats definately down to formation

4-4-2 will improve in the spl, but when you put whittaker and mcculloch on the wings :unsure:

I agree! RDB hits the nail on the head, for a change! ;)

Scotbear: I think you answered your own question, we need better players but I do think the 4-4-2 is the better and generally more suited system. Either system is going to bad though if we continue to play the players mentioned! McCulloch and Whittaker were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Thing is 4-4-2 had nothing to do with our defence having one of the worst games in a long time.

Had a lot to do with the amount of possession Dundee United had today though, which allowed them to put a great deal of pressure onto our defence.

Not sure how the possession stats finished, but after around 15 minutes or so Dundee United had had over 60% possession.........that is disgraceful. That's the kind of stat we'd expect the likes of Barcelona to have over us.

Despite what you say you are on to say we must play with only one up front and defend Walter.

There is no need to.

Walter is doing fine - although I still believe he should have played a more aggressive game with substitutes at the end of Thursday's match.

Walter installed the team spirit that saw us through today. Walter is definitely Manager of the Year.

If you remember the DU CIS Cup final we started with only ONE up front and they took us apart - a bit like today - and we were forced into two up front and Boyd eventually saved the CUP. Walter learned from that and played two up today.

I would have thought even you would have learned that from the Hampden game.

Frankly with Davis out and Barry unfit, our midfield is so poor. Thomson had a bad day and that left us with Whittaker and Lee McCulloch both of whom imo are pretty damn poor as mid fielders with no creativity or ball control. WE NEED quality mid fielders.

It was great that we had Novo and Boyd up front as they snatched goals out of nothing.

Once Cousin is fit again I don't mind us reverting to ONE up front, but JCD cant do it as he is not fit enough - looked way off the pace today - and it is not Boyd's or Novo's game.

In conclusion 4-4-2 was the best formation TODAY. That in a nutshell is my opinion.

Back to 4-5-1. We dont have the quality to play 4-4-2. We were out fought and out played.

Got to agree with you muffger, at the moment 4-5-1 is the best we have to offer.

When D Cousin is fit - yes, but not today - The Hampden CIS Final proved that against DU we needed two up front and again today when Novo and Boyd took chances from nothing.

Despite what you say you are on to say we must play with only one up front and defend Walter.

There is no need to.

Walter is doing fine - although I still believe he should have played a more aggressive game with substitutes at the end of Thursday's match.

Walter installed the team spirit that saw us through today. Walter is definitely Manager of the Year.

If you remember the DU CIS Cup final we started with only ONE up front and they took us apart - a bit like today - and we were forced into two up front and Boyd eventually saved the CUP. Walter learned from that and played two up today.

I would have thought even you would have learned that from the Hampden game.

Frankly with Davis out and Barry unfit, our midfield is so poor. Thomson had a bad day and that left us with Whittaker and Lee McCulloch both of whom imo are pretty damn poor as mid fielders with no creativity or ball control. WE NEED quality mid fielders.

It was great that we had Novo and Boyd up front as they snatched goals out of nothing.

Once Cousin is fit again I don't mind us reverting to ONE up front, but JCD cant do it as he is not fit enough - looked way off the pace today - and it is not Boyd's or Novo's game.

In conclusion 4-4-2 was the best formation TODAY. That in a nutshell is my opinion.

Maybe I am completely missing something.

Davis (Our best midfielder) isnt selected, Barry Ferguson is unfit and Thomson has been carrying a knock.

So we OPEN up the midfield, Expose Barry and Kevin and allow Dundee Utd to win the midfield battle and get control of the game.

How was 4-4-2 the best option today?

Wouldnt it have been better to given Barry and Kevin help, to prevent them being exposed?

Actually, I'd like a 4-3-3 but I doubt we'd see that under Walter.

Play the right personnel and the 4-5-1 forms into a 4-3-3. We did it earlier in the season and it was a success.

Back to 4-5-1. We dont have the quality to play 4-4-2. We were out fought and out played.

Got to agree with you muffger, at the moment 4-5-1 is the best we have to offer.

When D Cousin is fit - yes, but not today - The Hampden CIS Final proved that against DU we needed two up front and again today when Novo and Boyd took chances from nothing.

We were absolutely brutal in that midfield. Willow f*kn Flood and the other lad tore our midfielders a new one. We dont have the quality or ability to play 4-4-2 at this moment in time. The amount of times United had time and space was embarrassing.

Actually, I'd like a 4-3-3 but I doubt we'd see that under Walter.

Play the right personnel and the 4-5-1 forms into a 4-3-3. We did it earlier in the season and it was a success.

I suppose so. Just I'd have the 3 strikers over the half way line during the game, most of the time.