Joe Calzaghe v Bernard Hopkins

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought Hopkins won that tbh, 3rd judge had Calzaghe by 5 points :unsure:

Not any really good punches from calzaghe, quite scrappy fight, dont think calzaghe threw as much as he usually does

I thought Hopkins shoulda won . Owell

Not for me.

Never as much in it as the scoring suggested but it was definately Calzaghe's fight in the end.

Just think if Scottish nationalists had their way Calzaghe would be a foreigner :rolleyes:

:unionflag:

:lol:

I admire his Welshness, great fighter and brilliant boxer.

On his Welshness, least he doesn't feel under pressure to go under the umbrella of being British for the sake of it, like many English Boxers. You can be both and thats one choice but I'd rather be one and will be before not too long.

But since you come out wae that shite, c'mon Plaid Cymru (tu)

Got up at 9am this morning to watch it, had a good sleep instead.

Delighted to see a European/Brit go over there and do himself justice.

Now lets get a Scotsman over there and win, Alex Arthur or Gary Mcarthur in the future (tu)

as i said on another forum

he didnt deserve to win last night,

i had hopkins ahead by 2 rounds.

also for the fact a judge managed to somehow score joe calzaghe won 6 clear rounds an put joe 7 points ahead is shocking.

2 reasons u shouldnt fight in the US.

1. the referees are a joke - im not being biased towards british boxers but joe calzaghe was held the full way through the fight an hopkins hit him twice with the head, and hatton was dealt the same shite, as was lennox lewis twice in his fights in the US.

2. the judges are crooked. FAR to many decisions have gone completely wrong and the person who doesnt deserve to win did.

IMO that happened last nite, the ref had a stinker an the judges must have got their scorecards for one of the warm up fights coz the 1 that marked JC ahead by 6 rounds was a joke.

Frank warren knew aswell when he got into the ring as he was smiling and acting like a ponce.

i wanted JC to knock him out, but he just didnt seem to come forward enough an played into hopkins game plan, thats why i think hopkins was the honest winner.

glad JC got the result tho, :D

Frank hadden knew aswell when he got into the ring as he was smiling and acting like a ponce.

Wow, the Scotland Rugby Gaffer was in the ring? :harhar:

Think you meant Frank Warren mate! :lol:

Frank hadden knew aswell when he got into the ring as he was smiling and acting like a ponce.

i have no idea what ure talking about,

note the quick edit..lol

tell im a rugby fan aswel :rolleyes: :unionflag:

i have no idea what ure talking about,

note the quick edit..lol

tell im a rugby fan aswel :rolleyes: :unionflag:

:harhar: (tu)

There was millions of celebs there. Arnie, Sylvester Stallone, Whitney Houston, Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bruce Willis etc.

Notice how they got the best seats.

Because seats at ringside are dearer at all Boxing events...and Celebs tend to have more money...?

As opposed to those non European Brits! :harhar:

As opposed to those non European Brits! :harhar:

I meant Europeans and British fighters! :blush:

There was millions of celebs there. Arnie, Sylvester Stallone, Whitney Houston, Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bruce Willis etc.

Because seats at ringside are dearer at all Boxing events...and Celebs tend to have more money...?

I doubt the celebs queue up or go onto ticket websites to get the expensive ones.

They are probably given to them or offered.

I doubt the celebs queue up or go onto ticket websites to get the expensive ones.

They are probably given to them or offered.

Fair enough point then.

I did try to stay up for this - even came home early that night to prepare - but by 1am I was gone.

So avoided the outcome and watched the replay the next day.

Quite clearly Hopkins was the better fighter - it was an almost carbon copy of Hatton Mayweather, with the scrappy Brit up against a polished yank.

He just waited for Calzaghe to come in, and smacked him on the chops accurately - the majority of Joe's punches were wild, missed their target, and were outright scrappy.

Yeah, he did hold a wee bit, but it was designed to frustrate Joe and it succeeded - because I thought Joe's boxing was really rather poor.

Hopkins just sat back and punched when needed.

For me Hopkins should have won on the points - he had more panache, class and ability than Calzaghe, but I guess Calzaghe's pro-active style won it for him.

What those stats also reveal is he SWUNG more than Hopkins did, and that's my point. The majority of the percentages are similar, it's just that Hopkins worked less.

And tbh, that for me is a smarter fighter.