THIS is why we have a big squad

Danny

I posted about 2 weeks ago a thread discussing the fact that we were going to have to resolutely resort to rotation - as well as our first team was doing, we would 100% have to plunder the vast range of choice in the entire squad if we had any real chance of overall success this season.

That has now been entirely forced upon us after 2 very costly matches - Sporting, then Celtic. As other threads are pointing out, thanks to those two games, we will be varyingly without the services of Weir, Thomson, Ferguson, Cuellar, Adam, McGregor and McCulloch.

It isn't innaccurate to suggest Weir, Thomson, Ferguson, Cuellar and McGregor are our 5 most vital players - and the loss of any one of them is a massive blow. But to lose all 5 is truly mindblowing.

So now we have to look at the reserves - who exactly do we have who is capable of filling in for such gargantuan players? Our midfield is thankfully still strong - Hemdani and Davis are available for all competitions, so a little bit of juggling around them leaves us just about ok.

Up front we're fine - we've lost no one there - Cousin, Novo, JCD and Boyd (and Naismith) are fit and available.

The defence is difficult - Weir and Cuellar gone, and Smith not match fit yet. Our resources back there are suddenly depleted.

I know the absences vary per competition, but it's nevertheless a time where our management is going to be tested more than any other this season. Will they bring in the Websters, Naismiths, Burkes, Buffels, Gows, even Fayes in order to keep us floating?

Or are we going to resort to the same core of players who must now be feeling pretty damn shattered?

Rotation is being forced on Walter - surely he's not going to be so stubborn as to not use the resources he has?

I hope he rotates it, even if it just for a few games. Getting a bit worried about the players running out of steam away to the scum next weekend, and then cracking.

Before it was about efficiency, now it's necessity.

A quick question, Weir was sent off after the game and offical site says he has a 1 match ban- cup semi, why then would Cuelar not have a one game ban for a straight red.

What am I missing

We have enough strength to beat them, we should go into the next game and take control of the mid field, there midfield is very light weight, if we take control we should win the game

Fiorentina Home

____________Alexander____________

Whittaker__Cuellar__Weir______Papac

__________Hemdani___Davis________

_Novo_________Buffel_______Naismith

_______________JCD______________

Tims

____________Alexander_________

Whittaker__Dailly__Weir____Papac

_______Hemdani__Davis________

Novo_______Buffel______Naismith

___________Cousin____________

Fiorentina Away

____________Alexander____________

Whittaker__Cuellar__Weir______Papac

__________Ferguson___Thomo_______

_Novo_________Davis_________Buffel

______________JCD________________

Then whoever he wants against the others.

That's the teams I'd like to see, however Watties will be compltley different.

A quick question, Weir was sent off after the game and offical site says he has a 1 match ban- cup semi, why then would Cuelar not have a one game ban for a straight red.

What am I missing

We have enough strength to beat them, we should go into the next game and take control of the mid field, there midfield is very light weight, if we take control we should win the game

In the next game we'll have Brahim, Barry and Davis. That's not too bad tbh.

Does anyone remember Hemdani playing center back?

Think it was under PLG...

Thought he played the role quite well, maybe an idea....

Thoughts?

I suggested it yesterday.

Now that McCulloch is out I think we need to focus on keeping possession a lot more than we have needed to with him in the side, especially at Parkhead, because lets face it Celtic totally over ran us the other night.

Considering that Hemdani is one of the most cultured players we have, I think he could do an excellent job starting moves from the back.

Hemdani is abysmal in defence - no physical presence and can't tackle for toffee.

He's a cultured player with neat and tidy control and a sharp pass, but he isn't game for defence.

That all said, he's also hideously off form right now in any position.

I dont care what anyone says but NOW is the time to bring Buffel in from the cold. The guy is an International midfielder with Champions league and European experiance FFS and to have him sitting in the stands with the current injury/suspension crisis would be stupid.

I dont care if we have to pay Feyenoord 500k or whatever the amount is, just get it paid and get him playing. If the worst should happen and we lost the league we would cost ourselves an automatic entry to the Champions League and the £10m that comes with it, so 500k in the whole scheme of things is peanuts !!

What am I missing

It's the type of red card mate.

Weir's was for 'serious foul play' or something like that, which means he misses the next domestic game.

Quellar's wasn't so it applies to the next game in the same tournament.

Sounds daft but I think them's the rules.

Has to be Dailly if either Cuellar or Weir are out. Papac, Hemdani or Broadfoot at CB would not fill me with any confidence. Unless Webster comes in(doubt that very much)

I posted about 2 weeks ago a thread discussing the fact that we were going to have to resolutely resort to rotation - as well as our first team was doing, we would 100% have to plunder the vast range of choice in the entire squad if we had any real chance of overall success this season.

That has now been entirely forced upon us after 2 very costly matches - Sporting, then Celtic. As other threads are pointing out, thanks to those two games, we will be varyingly without the services of Weir, Thomson, Ferguson, Cuellar, Adam, McGregor and McCulloch.

It isn't innaccurate to suggest Weir, Thomson, Ferguson, Cuellar and McGregor are our 5 most vital players - and the loss of any one of them is a massive blow. But to lose all 5 is truly mindblowing.

So now we have to look at the reserves - who exactly do we have who is capable of filling in for such gargantuan players? Our midfield is thankfully still strong - Hemdani and Davis are available for all competitions, so a little bit of juggling around them leaves us just about ok.

Up front we're fine - we've lost no one there - Cousin, Novo, JCD and Boyd (and Naismith) are fit and available.

The defence is difficult - Weir and Cuellar gone, and Smith not match fit yet. Our resources back there are suddenly depleted.

I know the absences vary per competition, but it's nevertheless a time where our management is going to be tested more than any other this season. Will they bring in the Websters, Naismiths, Burkes, Buffels, Gows, even Fayes in order to keep us floating?

Or are we going to resort to the same core of players who must now be feeling pretty damn shattered?

Rotation is being forced on Walter - surely he's not going to be so stubborn as to not use the resources he has?

My worry is Walter's refusal to use this squad to it's full capabilities.

Instead of say, playing a naturally left footed midfielder in Gow on the left of midfield, he'll shoehorn Whittaker/Naismith in there etc.

If he uses the squad right then we could still win this league by double figures. I just hope that this apparent 'favourites' policy no longer exists after the recent injury/suspension mini crisis.

Daily will slot in at CB when the other 2 stalwarts are missing and hemdani will employ the holding midfield role. Its what Walter has done already this season & i see no reason why he would change that.

Buffel, well thats a different matter - and one discussed on here at length. As much as ould love to see him used, I honestly think he had has played his last game for us.

Just as a side note, I watched the OF on RTV thursday (3-1 Ibrox) where Buffel burst thru a Balde challenge to nutmeg Borat for number 2....sublime. How I would love to see him do that again.

Daily will slot in at CB when the other 2 stalwarts are missing and hemdani will employ the holding midfield role. Its what Walter has done already this season & i see no reason why he would change that.

Buffel, well thats a different matter - and one discussed on here at length. As much as ould love to see him used, I honestly think he had has played his last game for us.

Just as a side note, I watched the OF on RTV thursday (3-1 Ibrox) where Buffel burst thru a Balde challenge to nutmeg Borat for number 2....sublime. How I would love to see him do that again.

I watched an OF game from porkheid on RTV (we won 2-0, Vignal and Novo) and Buffel and Ferguson were superb, the two of them bossed the midfield and with Ricksen as an anchor they both had the freedom to get forward and support Prso.

Its time Walter gives Buffel the chance !! Start him on Sunday !!

I know it's been discussed over and over again on here and a lot of people are tired of it being brought up, but I also really think that now is the time to use our big squad. I don't know what WS plans and I fully trust his knowledge und judgment and will back whatever players he chooses for our next games, but I would love to see Buffel in one or two of our next 3 games because I really rate him and I think he would do a good job at this crucial point of the season. Give Alan Gow a start against St. Johnstone, if not at least Burke and Naismith.

With the amount of games our players have already played in this campaign and the fact that we're still involved in 3 competitions at this late stage of the season and no end of the 2 games a week rythm is in sight taken into account as well, we would've had to consider using our fringe players anyway. Now that we have just recently lost 5 key players due to injury/suspension, we simply HAVE TO.

I dont care what anyone says but NOW is the time to bring Buffel in from the cold. The guy is an International midfielder with Champions league and European experiance FFS and to have him sitting in the stands with the current injury/suspension crisis would be stupid.

This is scary...I agree with you AGAIN :P