Walter allowing McCoist a bigger say ?

Coopermania

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...n_start_now.php

Eight days to define Rangers’ season start now

MARTIN GREIG April 19 2008

The fallout from Old Firm games can often prove as significant as the game itself. Rangers have had little time to sift through the debris of Wednesday night's epic encounter, which they eventually lost 2-1, before facing up to another test of character in tomorrow's Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone.

Walter Smith's side have entered a period that will define their season. In the space of the next eight days they face St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup semi-final tomorrow, Fiorentina in the UEFA Cup semi-final first leg at Ibrox on Thursday and Celtic again next Sunday.

The issues are beginning to mount for Smith's side. David Weir and Carlos Cuellar both face one-match bans, Allan McGregor and Lee McCulloch could miss the rest of the season and tiredness is also becoming a concern. It also remains to be seen how they will react to the blow of losing an injury-time goal on Wednesday. Questions abound but, as Ally McCoist argued earlier this week, this Rangers team have answered all of them so far.

St Johnstone will have some searching enquiries of their own and the short-term issues for Rangers centre around team selection. It is likely that they will play a similar side to that which beat Partick Thistle last weekend.

The absence of Weir will result in Christian Dailly filling in alongside Cuellar at centre-back, while Steven Smith could earn his second start of the season at left-back. Chris Burke and Steven Naismith could play on the right and left of midfield respectively. Central midfield poses a dilemma. Barry Ferguson has a long-term ankle knock and may be rested, with Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis deployed as midfield pivots.

The prospect of facing first division opposition may prompt Rangers to switch from their preferred 4-5-1 formation and play two up front. Nacho Novo, who scored the equaliser against Celtic in midweek, is a prime candidate to start alongside Kris Boyd.

McCoist will be directing operations from the dugout, with Smith having taken a back seat for Scottish Cup matches. The Rangers assistant manager explained the mechanics of his more prominent role in the competition. "When we pick the team for a league game, we all pick it and Walter has the final say. Although I'm handling the media and the team talks for the Scottish Cup, Walter is the manager. I would be foolish not to ask him advice on the team, no matter if he gives me permission to pick it."

McCoist will also go head-to-head with close friend and former team-mate Derek McInnes, the St Johnstone manager. The pair first met at Rangers in the 1990s, and McInnes used to pick McCoist up for training when the latter was serving a drink-driving ban.

McInnes recalled: "Coisty had his licence taken off him for drink-driving and I lived closest to him. No, that's not true actually; Gazza Paul Gascoigne lived closer but he couldn't be trusted to look after himself. I'd spend half the morning sitting in his driveway waiting on him to go to training. Coisty tells the story that I only got an extension to my contract at Rangers because he needed me to drive him around."

The story also goes that McCoist did not let on to McInnes when his ban had expired and continued to accept lifts from him every day. The pair share an impish sense of humour which masks a more serious, dedicated side.

McInnes claimed earlier this week that he always expected McCoist to go into coaching and the Rangers assistant manager echoed those sentiments about his former team-mate.

"He's a brilliant lad and there is no-one happier than me to see him doing well," said McCoist. "You get guys in your career who you know will go into coaching and management and Derek was one of those guys. I'm a little bit surprised that it came so early for him. His team have done really, really well although they just fell away at the end for promotion. The first division has been great this year and it's a great place for a manager to get an education.

"He's made some good signings - guys like Jody Morris - and Derek's been about so he's got a good knowledge of the game. I don't doubt that Derek will be out to break our hearts on Sunday, and his own heart to a certain degree."

I'm almost certain he's being groomed to be our next manager.

I love Ally, he's a legend, my hero growing up..........but I don't want him to be our next manager. I know we appointed Walter from 'within', but back then Walter was firmly backed as being 'manager material'. I don't think McCoist has that respect in terms of his potential managerial credentials.

If McCoist wants to manage the club one day, I think he should go elsewhere first to prove himself. I don't think he should just step into the job once Walter leaves. I won't rant and rave about it if it happens, but he would not be my choice, he wouldn't even make my shortlist and I'm firmly against the idea.

Ian Durrant and Ally are both being groomed as the successor to Walter. Me and my dad met John Brown recently and he told us that Durrant is more likely to take the manager position when WS goes upstairs, with Ally and McDowell continuing their respective roles.

You will have noticed when WS is in the stands he always has Durrant next to him.

Ian Durrant and Ally are both being groomed as the successor to Walter. Me and my dad met John Brown recently and he told us that Durrant is more likely to take the manager position when WS goes upstairs, with Ally and McDowell continuing their respective roles.

You will have noticed when WS is in the stands he always has Durrant next to him.

Having been behind the dugout at reserve matches and heard his pearls of wisdom, and seen the resultsof his tactical changes ,then god help us.

I don't want Ian Durrant anywhere near the managers position!

Still think there is at least another couple of seasons left in Walter, he's only 60 and if he keeps bringing success then there is no reason to go.

I think McDowell is often overlooked, he has far more experience that Super Ally and im sure he contributes a lot more than he gets credit for. I think Smith will appoint the next manager, and if he feels McDowell has more than Ally has, then ive no doubt he would go with him. It will be pretty interesting to see what happens, and their are no gaurantees it will be either of them who replace Smith.

That's a fair point about them sitting together. Someone said earlier they would'nt have Ally as the next manager! I reckon John Brown with Ally as his assitant. Can you imagine the loyalty to the club curbed with JB's passion?

That's a fair point about them sitting together. Someone said earlier they would'nt have Ally as the next manager! I reckon John Brown with Ally as his assitant. Can you imagine the loyalty to the club curbed with JB's passion?

John Browns job at Clyde isn't even safe ffs. He has been told he only has 600 pounds in wages to spend next season, pretty sad.

Talk to anyone within the game who knows McCoist and they'll tell you he is much smarter than he appears. He has a fantastic knowledge of the game, and should make a great manager sometime in the future. Whether he'll be ready for probably the most important job of his life by the time Walter retires is anyones guess. I'd like to see him go elsewhere to learn his trade so that, when he does eventually come back to Rangers, which I'm sure he will do, he'll be a more complete manager.

:rangers: